I'm sick of electronics products being black in colour

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by Joshua Tree, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

I used to put down my black phone in its' black case on the black dashboard of my works van, and have to hunt 'round all the time to find the bastard thing (I've since bought a blue cover for it so I can actually see it). I can't see the black knobs on my black hi-fi amp so I have to bend down and peer at it to change the channels. My black monitor has small grey buttons which are hard to see. Most of my computers have black power buttons on their black fronts... WHERE THE FUCK IS THE POWER BUTTON?????!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

They are black for a reason.

They are the evil spawn of Satan.

3. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

4. Joshua Tree

5. Joshua Tree

I don't think your argument follows. Black people are black but not the evil spawn of Satan. I think it's because the electronics engineers think black stuff looks cool. They haven't thought about the user experience side of things. They need to employ some ergonomical psychologists, or colour consultants.

6. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

whats worse is all these camo pattern hunting knives and gps units...even guns

put them down for a second and they dissapear

i dont know why people buy that shit

i even heard of camo atvs being parked under trees out of plain view and never found for years

Joshua Tree likes this.
  7. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Seriously. What colour would you want them to be. Pink? Yellow? Beige? Black is unobtrusive, and makes them merge into the background space where we perceptually occlude them. My best friend is black, by the way, and he is totally evil.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  8. Rots in hell

Black for Serious colours for Flippant

9. Joshua Tree

It's not only the dark colour, it's also the fact that the controls are never contrasted with the fascia so you just can't see them.

ZenKarma likes this.
  10. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

At the launch of his first car, Henry Ford said, "our cars are available in any colour, as long as it is black". Not much has changed in the last century.
    Modern phones have been available in different colours for some years, but lighter colours tend to fade and the white base pigment yellows. Also where they are handled, the surface gets shiny and reflects the light differently. Grease from your fingers does the same thing and the phone soon starts showing it's age. As a result, customers tend to go back to black on their next upgrade.
    With keyboards, coloured keys look filthy within a few weeks. My laptop has an interior stainless finish, but most customers again prefer black.

11. Joshua Tree

I can't believe that in today's modern age materials scientists are unable to solve these problems. We've put a man on the Moon so surely we can come up with coloured tech FFS.

12. wilsjane

I think that the way that the products show the dirt is the main issue. Minor scratches are also a lot more noticeable, particularly as they fill up with everyday pollution. Most products also have a screen and coloured screen surrounds tend to be visually distracting as well as reducing the apparent screen contrast.

13. Joshua Tree

I don't have a problem with silver, grey or white. Or one of those three with e.g. black controls. Just let it be obvious how to operate the device. As for cleaning, if you can see it's dirty you can get a pack of 100 wipes for about three quid.

14. wilsjane

I don't disagree with you, your colour combinations sound fine to me. Perhaps we are all just lazy. How many people would go out for an evening wearing white jeans. LOL
    "Quid"? I assume that like us, you are in the UK.

15. Joshua Tree

White jeans, not since the Eighties hehe. Yes I'm in the UK.

16. wilsjane

I use a lot of Balmoral granite in my architectural designs. In the theater and other public buildings (particularly airports)it is practical and easy to keep clean. Perhaps I could start a whole new trend in the IT industry. LOL.
    Balmoral tile..png

17. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

That looks like chicken shit.

I like black.

But you could always get some spray paints, mask off the essential areas, and go multi-coloured.

18. Rots in hell

You Really believe The moon Thing ? :tonguewink:

19. Joshua Tree

If you've got the strength to lift up your granite laptop ;)

It could turn us from a nation of fatties into a nation of titans :)

20. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Handcrafted wood encased electronics would be nice.