I'm not one for reality shows...

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by *MAMA*, Jul 30, 2013.

1. *MAMA*

*MAMA* Perfectly Imperfect

But I'm obsessed with Ink Master, and the third season is now on Netflix. Anyone else watch it? :)

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Nope, I am totally bored with the overkill of reality shows. I have watched a bit of a lot of different ones (from tuna and crab fishing to gold mining, to tattoo and pawn shops etc. etc. etc.). Actually I don't care about them on most commercial channels, I see and know they make any kind of rubbish the crowd would watch and reality tv is relatively cheap to make. What I am dissappointed in is that Discovery channel and Nat geographic gave in to this cheap way of making 'documentaries' too and there's almost no good purely information focussed programs on those docu/learning channels anymore.

3. *MAMA*

I like a few. Ink Master is especially appealing to me because of the legends you see doing guest appearances. I'm a documentary freak though. Most of those I watch on YouTube though.

4. Asmodean

I am a documentary freak too and from my point of view that is what channels as discovery and nat geo were supposed to broadcast. They are totally ruined imo at the moment. I've not heard of Ink masters before.

5. PhotoDude

PhotoDude Member

Not into Ink Master, or reality shows, but my buddy got me into Duel Survivor.

6. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

+1 for a good documentary. But making good docus is hard work and there' not much money in it. If you watch backstage stuff from high-end nature docus from the Beeb you can see how much time, work and money actually goes into that stuff.

All the reality crap on the other hand is at least partly scripted, mostly shot and edited on the cheap. I have't seen one that doesn't look fake after 1 episode.

7. Asmodean

True Ghost, that being said Dual survivor is one of the few entertaining ones (for me).

8. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

Luckily, I have no idea what that is. :D

I think the only one I ever watched was Deadliest Catch. I was amazed how much friggin money these guys were making in a few weeks.

Then I caught them re-using shots in different sequences to pep up events. And that was the end of that. :(

9. Asmodean

Yeah, also their urge to bring it as spectacular as possible has resulted in the appalling fact that they almost all use a hyped up manner of speaking to convince what they say and experiencing is all really freaking exciting and important :D

10. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

I like dual survivor, but survivor man is my favorite. It's also the only real reality show that I've seen. Dude is badass. He is the only one out of all those survivor shows that is actually out there on his own....no camera crew, director, etc.

11. *MAMA*

Survivor Man is amazing. That time he ate that fish raw, straight out of the river, I was like :eek:

12. Asmodean

I liked some stuff like that too, like the one called Bear something crawled into a dead camel in the desert at night to stay warm :biggrin: But yeah, some stuff of him was clearly staged and he likes to come across a lot of the time that he's alone but he isn't. It pleads for Survivor Man that he really does a survival program on his own. But all in all they are all much of the same thing and more about entertaining than really being informative.

13. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

This just made remember this guy from Oz that shot the "documentary" Virgins Wanted where people could auction off their virginity to the highest bidder.

That shit was already real bad ..... but now it seems he's going to make a reality show out of it.

14. Asmodean

Easy money. It has ruined tv since decades.

15. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

I wouldn't be too sure about that.

16. *MAMA*

Even though it was terribly scripted, I did watch Breaking Amish.

I was super disappointed to find out it wasn't a show about Amish meth labs.

17. Asmodean

There's also one about the Amish maffia :D I would be super dissappointed about that one too but I had low expectations, thinking it will probably another lame sensation/shock value based reality show while in the end still being boring. It was.

18. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

He did a "behind the scenes" episode that showed how he makes the show. If you have any that shows he was lying please provide the info.

19. *MAMA*

Amish maffia?? I gotta check that out.

20. Asmodean

I wouldn't be bothered with it, it can only be fun to watch stoned and laugh at this hilarious rubbish.