I'm going to wear the hijab

Discussion in 'Islam' started by Resistance isn't futile, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

There is no popular opinion here. EVERYBODY gets some shit.

2. Meliai

Meliai Banned

That load off bullshit came from someone who came to this site and insulted every single American here multiple times.

Yeah the internet should be a warm fuzzy place where everyone is nice and accepts others' bullshit.

3. natural philosophy

natural philosophy bitchass sexual chocolate

the internet is a place where you can say all the stupid shit you want and be free of criticism?

the world doesn't work like that. if you dont want criticism, try making better decisions. like how about not bothering random people on the street with your stupid religion.

4. natural philosophy

im sure you'll realize all of this once you move out of your moms house

5. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

And the standard Islamic asshole stereotype lives on.

Hashtag #somepeoplearetheirownworstenemies

6. Resistance isn't futile

Resistance isn't futile Member

I think I got a good handle on the real world but thank you for underscoring the point. Also that's some good advice your giving. Hopefully you're just as good at following it as you are at giving it.

I said the Internet and not just any one single site.

But nonetheless you should keep telling yourself that.

7. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

So, why not Baha'i?

8. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

The internet is the place religions come to die.

9. deleted

deleted Visitor

[​IMG]

this is no god but allahgator..

10. natural philosophy

obviously not if you want to be a muslim

11. Resistance isn't futile

Today was my first full day out and about while wearing my hijab. I see I'm going to loose friends over this. But that's ok because real friends wouldn't care, they would love me regardless.

What got me the most is that I don't feel repressed wearing the hijab. In fact it's actually pretty liberating in some ways. (For exemple : I can have all the bad hair days I want!) Personally I find my hijab to be the bee's knees because it feels right for me.

But I was warned by my new muslim friends that I would feel repressed by those that already know me. And they were soooo right. I used to never leave the flat unless I was wearing a mini skirt and my slutter heals. It struck me the most when a shop keep that I've known for 3 years lost his composure. (Well I won't be shopping there again)

12. odonII

odonII O

Resistance isn't futile, I think it is impossible to know the full impact and ramifications if you are only experiencing this recently - having not previously.
    I think it is also the case not all veiled women experience the same issues.
    It also depends on the circumstances of why you are veiled or not.
    I hope you are not suggesting your brief experience is a fair reflection of all veiled women.

13. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

rude, hateful and uncalled for. what, you think you got it all figured out? we should all be like you.... anyone who disagrees with you MUST have something wrong with them.
    The young lady is experimenting, finding herself and her identity, and approaching this all with an open and educated mind. How dare you blatantly hate on her and discriminate on her.

14. Resistance isn't futile

Well part of the problem is that I'm very well know in my community and I have a reputation of being a bit of a party girl. So I expect it to take be a bit of a shock to some. But then there is a little of shock and then there is screaming at me like I'm some sort of prat.

Thanks for the support but the negative comments on here aren't worth the fuss. I would be more likely to get upset if they were said to my face.

As for finding myself...
    I never saw this coming. Let that be a lesson to everyone that if you want to stay an atheist to not make it a habit of reading religious texts unless you're doing it with hate filled agenda.

15. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Bullies are cowards who won't say things to your face, in fear they might be met with equal force!

And I am proud of you, girl! Good job, great confidence and initiative. I totally support you.

I found that with Yoga, as well; I started Kundalini and Hatha Yoga for anxiety and stress, then did some research on it's background, learned about it, and I'm learning a lot.

16. odonII

odonII O

I was responding to what I perceived you thought wearing it meant/signified. And how that related to other who wore it.

17. Resistance isn't futile

As much as I stand solid that I didn't choose to convert to Islam and wear the hijab. I still had an epiphany and as such I feel very liberated and for the first time in my life I feel completed. (Praise be to Allah)

Now I can understand that a woman that does not believe or has difficulties believing the hijab could feel like an anchor.

18. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I'm glad you're happy with what you're doing,but I just don't get it. Of course that's on me,not you. I'm sincere---I really don't get it. Would you mind explaining to me why Islam instead of any other rationale of ways to address existance.

Thanks -------------Joel

19. Emanresu

Emanresu Member

I have spent much more time reading religious texts since I became an atheist, and I have no hate filled agenda. Maybe you just never had a good reason to be an atheist. It's kind of insulting to say that anyone who reads a religious text will either convert or they are a hateful person. My reasons for being an atheist are philosophical, and I've never found a religious text that addresses my philosophical concerns. I've also never found one that coincides with what we know about the physical world (for example every creation story that I've ever heard is false), and neither have I found one that contains a sufficient moral code.

20. odonII

odonII O

I don't agree with your reasoning but understand why you are making it.