I'm going to wear the hijab

Discussion in 'Islam' started by Resistance isn't futile, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

What's with the quotes of other religions/mindsets exactly, duck? Why?

2. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

To show that there is a breadth of beauty and wisdom throughout all cultures and religions. It could be unwise to force yourself into the mold of one; when there is a whole world you can enjoy at your leisure.

I could have shown the nasty side of many religions and cultures too; but there is enough negativity in the common thought these days.

I do have a personal connection to this discussion as well. My cousin converted to Orthodox Judaism, after seeing her Jewish bfs' Jdate profile, and exploring different options within the religion. She really loved the culture at first, but she doesn't seem so happy in it anymore. Not that she says anything, but she doesn't follow as strictly, seems despondent.

3. Asmodean

The two do not exclude eachother at all.

4. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I want to wear one as a fashion statement but other's perceptions of me stop me from doing it..I don't really care if people think I'm Islamic but it would bother me if a Muslim knew I was not and got offended.

Which is silly if you think about it. Islam doesn't have a patent on female modesty. Other cultures have also worn head coverings throughout history.

5. Asmodean

It only shows you've got respect if you doubt about wearing one because muslims might have a feeling about it. But yeah, not even a century a go it was still common in the netherlands (and I think most of europe) for women to wear a simple head covering that looks (roughly) similar to the hijab. They may have more been for practical purpose and also out of local traditiion but it is always difficult to exactly state to what extend the reason is muslim women wear them. Also part of cultural tradition I expect. In my opinion it does not have to be a big deal for other people. Sometimes it may look great people are concerned about muslim women being suppressed but to project that by definition on every women with a hijab is of course plain wrong and awfully generalizing.

6. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

quiet OP is quiet

7. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

8. natural philosophy

natural philosophy bitchass sexual chocolate

lol what the fuck are you rambling about? you sound like you are pretending to know what science is and making up random shit to prove a point. science is not a 'religion' as you have stated. religions require something called 'faith'. that is, religions require you to believe something WITHOUT evidence. science is based upon observable and repeatable evidence.

maybe you should learn about it before you bash it. you claim that 'men are drunk on their own sense of self' but what about you? you call science arrogant but you claim to know how wrong others are. science doesn't do that. it is arrogant and wrong to assume you know the truth.

and believe me, Islam DOES create war, misery, and exploits suffering. it only takes one glance through the dogshit sandwich called the quran to realize mohammed was a violent murderous pedophile.

9. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Neither of you have a quarter of a clue what you're talking about.

Go to a mosque -- I'm quite sure they'll hook you up with a hijab. And one for all your friends.

10. natural philosophy

^what this dude said.

or better yet, try moving to Afghanistan. you'll find lots of like minded individuals there. just be prepared to get your hands cut off for trying to use a computer like you're a man or something.

11. Asmodean

Because Afghanistan is the most common and/or reasonable facet islam has to show?

Coming from the person who pronounced several times the muslim radicals who terrorized your country do so because they're jealous/angry of your freedoms :D :2thumbsup: :bobby:

12. Duck

It's not the most reasonable; it's pretty common.

13. Asmodean

Elaborate please? In which regard? How so?

14. Duck

Most Muslims I know are very good people; some are great people. Most Muslim writing I've read was very wise, very beautiful. However, since the Islamic revolution and usually even before then; there are almost no predominantly Muslim countries that are not among the most oppressive and/or violent in the world.

15. natural philosophy

no, it's a place where actual islam is allowed to thrive. where muslims are allowed to make up the governing body. there is no protection for minorities. the muslims have the power and they make the rules according to the quran.

islam is not reasonable by any means. afghanistan is an example of what happens when muslims get their way. they are trying to spread their 'sharia' law to other parts of the globe also. just look at Shiria Khatun, a british politician, was harassed with death threats against her and her children for not wearing hijab

16. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

It is better to be a student and a philosopher than a follower.

It's a symbol of a culture and tradition that has treated women like dirt for centuries. I can't get beyond that.

Paul wrote in the New Testament that a woman should not have her head uncovered in church. Southern Baptist ushers used to refuse to seat women who did not have on hats.

17. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Afghanistan is not a good representation of Islamic culture. They've been subject to four decades of war. They were "liberated " from Russian rule by the taliban, most of whom came from the countryside and had grown up in a completely different religious culture than the cities the Taliban conquered. Before the Soviet invasion and during the Soviet war, women living in cities like Kabul were educated, they worked, they wore knee length skirts, some even didn't cover their hair.

So I think it is safe to presume that while much of the educated class in Afghanistan fled during war, some stayed behind and some returned when the Taliban fell. Thus the liberal, progressive mentality that once existed in Afghanistan probably still exists there today in the minds of the people slowly helping to rebuild their country brick by brick.

Ie, do some research and don't assume a woman living in Afghanistan doesn't stand a chance. This used to be a relatively liberal country. The Taliban was composed of a minority ruling the majority.

18. Asmodean

Hmm well, I think it's wise to look further into that violence. Is it conducted and/or stimulated by the regime or some dubious organisation or religious followers? The same counts of course for oppression. Are those countries reputations of violence and agression only caused by the islam faith? And righteously or at second instance has a different origin. I am for example thinking of the coupe that reinstalled the latest shah of Iran that eventually troubled so many people that they unfortunately started the islamic revolution.

19. deleted

deleted Visitor

its prayer time.. :p

It really is.

20. Asmodean

Whole history is an example of what happens when state and religion are not seperated. Christianity has proven just to be as unreasonable in certain times. Although there are of course still unreasonable christians enough it has also proven that when you limit their powers and they have to grow with the rest of the society they are part of it a religion and it's followers can co exist just fine. The islam is not the problem in Afghanistan, it is the extremists and people who want the sharia above all.