I'm going to wear the hijab

Discussion in 'Islam' started by Resistance isn't futile, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Resistance isn't futile

Resistance isn't futile Member

I have no clue where to even buy one or where to start learning about what I should do to be worthy of wearing one.

But last night despite being alone I said the Shahada and I actually cried.

(This is not a joke posting)

2. Gangsta twosix

Gangsta twosix Member

Islamic book or clothing stores.local Mosques to learn more about Islam

3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

my friend brought me a hijab from Iraq. I would like to wear it because I think its beautiful but for some reason I feel like it would be disrespectful because I'm not Islamic.

4. natural philosophy

natural philosophy bitchass sexual chocolate

do yourself a favor and read a science book instead

5. Gangsta twosix

Gangsta twosix Member

science and religion are two different philosophies,but that does not mean that they are incompatible.

6. Resistance isn't futile

Science today is a religion and it's a very arrogant one. And when you consider that it cares little for values such as looking after your neighbours and cherishing the elderly; the step towards something more human is easy.

I'm in love with God and I'm going to find a witness today so I can make the declaration in front of them. Having said it to myself last night has given me strength

7. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

You got a hole to fill and religion is fitting. That's fine. Whatever floats your boat as long a 'ye harm none'.

But your perception of science is so far off course it's really quite hard to fathom. Science isn't someone douching on a forum. That's a human being frustrated. Science is peer reviewed examination of phenomena that can always be replaced if someone proves it wrong. Don't mistake people for a method of examination.

Arrogance is in your perception. While it sounds arrogant to snark at someone because they either deny actual fact, or plausible hypothesis. It is actually more arrogant to insist that 'I am right, because I believe' over 'I am right (for now) because this is what has been proven and I will change that if the evidence arises to the contrary'

8. Resistance isn't futile

I don't deny facts.
    The sun rises and sets... Fire burns and without air we suffocate. These things are facts and only the insane deny them. Therefore if you embrace the factual then you must also acknowledge the following facts.

Plausible hypothesis are still only hypothesis. And most often made by men that are drunk on their own sense of self.

• A relgious zealot will look upon a painting and deduce quickly that great art must come from a great mind. So they immediately search the painter.
    • A man who is arrogant in his science looks at the same painting and proceeds to analyse its pixels, chemical composition and they deduce that they can copy it.
    Both are wrong approaches because what's important is the painting.
    The painter created the masterpiece so we can experience his vision by enjoying the beauty of what he created.

Step back and see the painting and you see the genius of the work.

Zoom in and you see painter has made it possible for us to give our own visions by studying his.
    This has been a very long time in coming for me and last night I finally had an epiphany. After this everything became clear for me and I see that I'm in love with God and his vision. And it is for this reason I can NOT follow or condone today's "I-religion."

The I-religion is a cult of arrogant men that don't seek to create their own visions of beauty but make war, destroy the enviroment and to make money on the exploitation of misery and suffering of others.

I'm not against science or anything factual.. What I'm against is their perversion.

9. Manservant Hecubus

Well, I could debate that but what's the point, eh?

Lemme bring this back to topic then. Despite what assumptions you may be making about me, or science or arrogance...I really love the style of the hijab.

Perhaps some may find a really kickn' hijab and abaya to be antithetical to modesty but if your covering meets the modesty standards, then why not have some style about it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

or for the more daring!!
    [​IMG]

10. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I used to think of the hijab as a totally oppressive thing, but then I read some articles by hijab wearing feminists and I kind of get it, and I respect it. It's cool with me, so long as it's a matter of culture and tradition and modesty and the person's choice, and not forced. I have to say, if I wore one, it would be very colorful.

11. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

You should only wear one for yourself (naturally) but if you are not a muslim I think why wear one? It's your choice though. I do think I prefer the clothes in above pic more than their hijabs. But it's probably not an esthetic thing in the first place..

12. Manservant Hecubus

I have much respect for those who have taken a symbol that is at it's heart, a socially oppressive tool but have turned it around and use it to empower themselves. May these woman stay strong and true so that they may be the force of cultural change that is so greatly needed by many of Islam's practitioners.

13. Manservant Hecubus

Yeah. I was on an abaya kick on pintrest that day, so the pics are more about that.

This one is fierce though.
    [​IMG]

14. odonII

odonII O

15. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

THIS. I realized this as well.... to take an old cultural tradition and carry it into the future in an empowered way. I totally support these women.

16. Manservant Hecubus

Sewing your own hijab is also ridiculously easy.

17. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

Um. I'm kinda surprised no one's asked this, and maybe my question only spawns from having no clued what the Shahada is, but why?

18. odonII

odonII O

The first of the Five Pillars of Islam is the shahada. Shahada is the Muslim profession of faith, expressing the two simple, fundamental beliefs that make one a Muslim:

La ilaha illa Allah wa-Muhammad rasul Allah.

There is no god but God and Muhammad is the prophet of God.
    Sincere recitation of this confession of faith before of two Muslims is the sole requirement for those who wish to join the Muslim community. It represents acceptance not only of Allah and his prophet, but of the entirety of Islam. As one of the Pillars, the shahada must be recited correctly aloud with full understanding and internal assent at least once in every Muslim's lifetime.

The shahada is also recited in the muzzein's call to prayer, included in the salat (daily ritual prayer) and incorporated in Sufi contemplative prayer. It is also recited in the moments before death.

From the shahada are derived the other fundamental doctrines of Islam: angels, the Qur'an and the Bible, the prophets, and the Day of Judgment.

19. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I googled shadada :2thumbsup:

20. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

Thank you, odon.

Okay, again, why?

I was hoping OP would answer in his/her own words, you people are too quick

OP:

I'm assuming you chanted this like one's supposed to OP? Do you not realize that chanting has a brain-conditioning effect? They've used it in religions and cults for centuries. Modern day techniques similar would be rote memorization, flash card usage, long interrogations.

There are many beautiful things about Islamic and Arab culture; but don't you agree that every religion and every culture has beauty and sickness within?

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared. -Buddha

So don't worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring it's own worries. Today's trouble is enough for today. - Jesus

The truth is not always beautiful, nor beautiful words the truth. - Lao Tzu (Taoism)

Should even one's enemy arrive at the doorstep, he should be attended upon with respect. A tree does not withdraw its cooling shade even from the one who has come to cut it. - Hinduism

We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die because they are never going to be born. The potential people who could have been here in my place but who will in fact never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains of Arabia. Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton. We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA so massively exceeds the set of actual people. In the teeth of these stupefying odds it is you and I, in our ordinariness, that are here.
    -Richard Dawkins (Atheism)