I'm getting them tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by Rafaela, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Rafaela

Rafaela Member

So tomorow's the day! I'm suppose to be there (a random salon) at 10am but i'll have to call in a bit late, which scares me slightly because I dont want anything to abrupt me getting these dreads tomorrow. I've been waiting a while and finally found a proper place that says they can dread my fine hair hahaha . I'll post the pictures tomorrow, I'm kind of nervous and anxious, how long is the process? my hair isn;t too long but its thin and straightish. Hopefully no more than 4 hours. how long did it take to dread your hair? :D

2. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

bout 6 months or so
    but i let jah do the work instead of paying a salon

3. Rafaela

Rafaela Member

I've been listening to so many smooth raggae songs in tribute of jah. I'm not rhasta though -you allowing your hair to dread au naturelle is very cool

4. knottyinthemaritimes

knottyinthemaritimes Member

i cant wait for the pics

5. ArtistofPeace

ArtistofPeace Senior Member

Mine took 14 hours to do, but that was my bf and me doing it...not a salon. Maybe it'll be faster in the salon for you. Post pics! :)

6. Rafaela

Rafaela Member

just got in form my session..... and i'm a bit in shock. The lady basically twisted/backcombed it. I'm not sure if my dreads are proper yet.... the tips are not really knotted, should i cut them off? also... the dreads seem to be pretty well seperated at the top and around which i ndont like. I wanted it to have a more natural look, not divided - how can i i fix this? ugh....I dont know I'm kind of confused about how i look. its wikkity whack. someone help! It's also really oily from the beewax. when does this fade?! arrgh

7. ArtistofPeace

Well yeah...what did you expect from going to a salon? If you wanted them to look more natural you should've just left your hair alone or done them yourself at home. Is there a lot of scalp showing between each of the dreads, like they're too "uniform?" Maybe if you just give it time, it'll take on a more natural look...but yeah, that's what's to be expected since you went and got them done at a salon. As far as the greasy wax in your hair...that's just another bad side effect of getting them done "professionally." You can probably rinse some of the wax out by soaking your head in hot water and squeezing as much of the wax out as possible. I'm not a fan of salon dreads...but maybe if you just let 'em do their thing from now on, you'll get the look you want. Good luck with 'em :)

Oh, and also...I'd just leave the tips be. If you cut 'em off, you'll probably have an even more unnatural look which doesn't seem like what you want. The tips might dread themselves over time.

8. Rafaela

Rafaela Member

thank you so much, you answered all my questions. I'm "dreadfully" devastated right now. I feel like ... just isolating myself. I guess mine had to be another one of the salon horror stories. I'm going to have to find me a neat headgear and just wait for my hair to grow out a bit.

As for washing some of that wax out... the lady told me not to wash my hair for a month. I dont know which advice to follow to get my dreads. this is a sad sad day in my world. sad indeed.

9. ArtistofPeace

Hmm...I don't really know about washing the wax out. The thing is, the wax actually acts like a conditioner, making your hair less prone to knotting up. So, you can leave it alone for a month, but your knotting process isn't going to be great, most likely. If you wash it out, you run the risk of losing some of the knottiness, but at least you'll have some of that shit outta your hair and it can knot up more on it's own. I don't know...maybe wait a few weeks and then wash it. Anyone else have any advice for her?

10. toolmaggot

toolmaggot Nuts Go Here.

Oh, jeezass, don't not wash your hair for a month. Use really hot water and melt as much of the wax out as you can right now. It's basically just glueing your hair into dreads right now.

When you rinse the wax out, your dreads will most likely fall apart, since they're more than likely just twisted in (which is what salons do). Re-do them yourself, and they'll be more natural looking.

And don't cut off the tips, they'll work themselves in over time.

11. skankleft

skankleft Member

yay for another person joining the dreadhead family.

I look at your gallery and I believe there is a picture of them in there. They look great. A little uniform but that's okay.. as for the wax.. GET IT OUT NOWW!