I'm Considering returning to Pollution

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Manservant Hecubus, Apr 26, 2013.

1. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

2. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

I disagree.

Backpressure could be a good thing with poorly designed carbs, as I understand it.

I suppose by the same token, EFI will alse correct the mix for the load and all, and the cat will totally have less effect now, I don't dispute that.

BUT, I think it's entirely a myth that you need any amount of backpressure, or that it can help anything at all, with an EFI car. It may not help a noticable amount, but if you cut the exhaust off after the o2 sensor, that's technically as good as you'd get.

It's surely a very small amount with a modern exhaust or intake, but it is, literally, taking engine power to push that air, and that engine power comes out of your gas tank.

I'm not saying everyone should rip their cat out. In my case, the pollution problem is the motor, and there was NO sense in putting in a new cat to be ruined, there's no way a functioning one could do much about my polution, I'm quite sure it couldn't handle what it was taking.

3. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

You can do what you want now thanks to Earth hour

Turn off your lights for 60 mins once a year and the planet will be saved apparently

Trees are boring anyway, all they do is just sit there

4. deviate

deviate Senior Member

Roor, you are forgetting about volumetric efficiency. Particularly if you open up the exhaust side like that without having air going in and through at a rate that can handle that kind of exhaust flow.. you are going to lose a fuckton of torque. And probably end up burning exhaust valves.

And if your car is running rich to the point it would burn out a converter, you are killing your performance and wasting petrol by sending raw fuel out the exhaust. You want it lean just up until it might start detonating for max power. What kind of car is this anyway?

5. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

6. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

When I say the motor's the problem, I don't necessarially mean because of any power it's making :p it runs a bit rich in some conditions, and maybe a bit lean in others, I think I have some undetermined sensor problems. But it burns oil like there's no tomorrow, cats just full of soot.

The explanation that I read for exhausts burning valves is that some cheaper carbs used to be designed to take advantage of the slight back and fourth motion of the intake air, so that it would spend more time in the carb when pushed back in, and then an unrestricted exhaust without carb adjustment would lean it out and burn valves. But I honestly can't see any problem having less exhaust restriction, considering it just means you get the exhaust out of the cylinder more quickly and totally, with less sap of the cylinder speed.... it's not like the valves are open at the same time. And being multiport EFI, the computer will adjust the ratio no matter what you do to the exhaust or intake side, within reason and within the abilities of the injectors.

7. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

yes, you still need to pull a 500micron vacuum to make sure there's no moisture or anything in the system, then if there's no leaks that you can find then weigh in the new refrigerant or charge by subcooling.

but on a big multi-ton unit it can take hours to recovere the refrigerant....of course they do require you to keep logs if you work in that field, to account for where the refrigerant is going.

8. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

multiple tons? Jeebus.

Arn't there plenty of pretty environmentally safe refrigerants now, especially if the system was designed for it?

I know of a place with a bunch of little heat exchangers on a pretty big apartment building. It always smells like propane, even though there's no gas hookup for the building. I'm pretty sure they skimped by buying cheap unwanted R12 units, and charged them with propane. I'm waiting for the whole place to blow up.

9. AceK

yeah, they have the new Puron R-410a which is an HFC (and actually a near azeotropic blend of two HFCs) not an HCFC like 22. Supposedly doesn't deplete ozone, but is still a greenhouse gas. There's still so many units around though that use R-22, and you'll still find CFC12 and 11 in old refrigerators and shit, most refrigerators and auto A/C uses R-134a now, and they are planning phasing that out as well for some new shit.

10. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

I know that not freeze12, but the stuff that replaced it, is allegedly better than not only r134a, but original R12 as well, and it's supposed to be pretty environmentally safe.

I think the move to R134a was knee-jerk, withour surveying how much it actually sucks and how there are better options. Obviously we needed to switch to something, but r134a sucks.

11. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

you could always go old school and charge it with propane

or butane

12. deviate

deviate Senior Member

The new refrigerant is r1234yf. I think only two manufacturers are running it on a select of their models, GM being one on a cadillac. The crazy thing is its supposed to be a lot more volatile, during a crash test a line ruptured on one of the cars and ignited from the engine heat. I'm not looking forward to working on these new systems, just went to a class about it.

And apparently the EU is mandating a phase-in, and mercedes benz just backed out of it.

13. def zeppelin

def zeppelin All connected

I've been farting more than ever :coolgleamA:

Take, THAT, earth!

14. AceK

r134a is the only refrigerant you can purchase without a EPA license

15. themnax

themnax Senior Member

play all the mind games you like, about gods and politics and money, but nature is still the only reason you exist, and the desire to express yourself creatively, is the only thing that makes you anything any other life form isn't.

16. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

22a is not legal where you are?

we can buy 134a and 22a in canada at any auto parts store without the licence

17. AceK

no such thing as r-22a, its r22, the stuff that comes in the big green jugs and you cannot get it at an auto parts store

I'm in the USA, things may be different in cananda

18. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

r22a is basically propane

you are allowed to use it in homes but not in automotive..can buy it almost anywhere here off the shelf in small cans

it replaces r22 which dangerous ...lmao