Ii a sexless life worth living?

Discussion in 'Relationships' started by gnj1958, May 5, 2013.

1. gnj1958

gnj1958 Guest

Suppose you had lived to be in your 50's and you had never had sex or only had sex once in all that time and very little intimate contact with the opposite sex. Assuming you hadn't shied away from sex because of some religious or moral reasons or had some physical handicap preventing it.

In other words you were a "normal" healthy person who for whatever reason had never had access to sex would you consider that a life worth living?

sorry it should say "Is a sexless life worth living". It won't let me edit the title.

2. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Yes.

3. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Can you explain a bit more about having never had access to sex? Give us a bit more to see where you're coming from.

4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I've had several long periods of time where I didn't have any intimate contact. I'm still here...

This is not to say I'm a sane individual.

5. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

life can be meaningful in a lot of different ways. we have to decide for our selves whether or not we think it's all worth it.

would gandhi's life be worthwhile even if he never got any poon? I would say so.

if you had love but no sex, would life be worthwhile? I would say so.

one could also see life as worthwhile simply to see life's mystery all the way to its end

in many spiritual traditions, it is considered better not to have sex, and to meditate instead. the belief is that the energy lost in sex can be better applied to spiritual development

generally there seems to be too much obsession with sex. sex can be a nice thing, but having a lot of sex isn't necessarily going to make you happy, and it could make you less happy.

if you haven't been laid in a while, you could think about all of the crazy ex's, relationship drama, messy divorces, std's, unwanted pregnancies, emotional baggage, and general bullshit that you have avoided by not getting laid

hope this helps, and that you can find value in life either with or without sex

6. Just_a_woman

Just_a_woman Member

I've experienced fantastic things in my life, many of them not related to sex at all. I travel the world, meet people, have had very interesting and different jobs... I'm happy about my sportive, artistic, scientific and academic achievements, as well as of my hobbies. I've seen so many beautiful things and animals in and out of water... I've hiked in mountains and deserts... I've shared roads with elephants and ostriches, seas with dolphins, whales and sharks... I've seen volcanoes erupting and fantastic storms have chased me off mountains...

I've been loved and I am loved. I make a difference in so many lives I touch with my work... and so many special people have made and make a difference in my life... I've had the opportunity to communicate with so many people, many times in their mother tongue, and that brings me so much joy...

My life is worth living, even if sex was absent. After a very difficult start, there were so many good things, it'd take years to put it all in writing.

7. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Yes = For "Tomorrow, (can be) 'another day'" ;)

8. monkjr

monkjr Senior Member

Absolutely yes!

In fact, I believe most people who are alive are obligated to find ways to enjoy life in anyway they can regardless of setbacks and differences, the only exception is making sure you don't hurt someone in the process of enjoying life.

9. nz male

nz male Senior Member

Living my whole life without having any type of sex or not being intimate with someone wouldn't be great at all. I'd just have to get naked & touch myself all over & pretend it was an attractive / nice looking female doing it instead.
    Life without sex - hell no, hate to think my body could be used anytime sexually & no one wanting it for pleasuring themselves with how they liked.

10. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

It would be better to live than to be the wigglers that lost.

11. endnow

endnow Member

Anyone who tells you it isn't worth living probably lacks life experience.

12. BuryMeInSmoke

BuryMeInSmoke Member

That depends on the person since we all have our own "meaning" to life. For me, sex is very important and I would rather die than live my entire life without it. Good sex is the most gratifying experience for me. Being a 50 virgin? Hell, i'd rather die than be a 20 year old virgin. but once again, that's just me. If you manage to find meaning in your life without sex, good for you.

13. calgirl

calgirl Senior Member

Interesting question. The sex with the guy I'm with now is very super hot. I have the sense he is over sex, being at 56. In other words, it isn't one of his priorities. So one day he asks "Is there life after sex?". My answer of course was "yes" but I'm not exactly sure I meant it. I sure like orgasms!

14. NikoGreene

NikoGreene Member

The pleasure of sex can be great but usually only lasts for the instance. Love is beautiful and can exist without physical intimacy, however the intimate nature of a sexual act with people whom you care for can be the most special moments in our lives. At moments you and another person or persons can be one and share a beautiful connection when real love is involved.

15. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

Yes. They do make sex toys, you know.

Other relationships can be fulfilling as well. They don't have to be sexual.

16. gnj1958

gnj1958 Guest

I guess it's difficult for people who have had sexual relationships or even plenty of sex outside of relationships to fully grasp what it feels like to go pretty much your whole life without it. Of course we are all different and have different levels of needs and desires and I guess there are some people that can go that long without sex and not be really bothered by it.

I have what I would consider a pretty strong or normal sex drive in that I love women and a have a strong urge to have sex with them. So going my whole life without ever having that experience has been hell. The older I get the worse it gets. I look back on my life and I feel like the whole thing has been a complete waste of time.

I have done lots of things in my life and had many experiences too but without a foundation of love, sex, intimacy and companionship it all doesn't really mean much to me. I can't even say I'm frustrated anymore. 20 years ago I was frustrated. It's gone way beyond that now. I'm not sure there is even a word for how I feel.

I personally feel that sex is like food, without it we die. Lack of sex might not cause the body to die but it kills the soul.

I've haven't had any relationships except two girls I dated for a short time when I was in my late teens. They were both too young and sex was never a part of it. I'm not a very social person. I've spent most of my life alone. The only time I have ever been around women was in work situations and even then it was very rare.

It seems extremely unlikely I will be with anyone now. There aren't very many women who would want to deal with a man in his 50's who has no sexual experience. I'm damaged goods.

17. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I wouldn't say that you're damaged goods.

I would be more interested in having a friend to do things with. A companion that you were with most all the time would be the next step. If love developed that would be awesome. If lovemaking became a part of that relationship, it would be tender and sweet because of the way you had grown to care for one another apart from sex.

I wouldn't throw in the towel. You're still pretty young.

18. NikoGreene

NikoGreene Member

Don't throw away the ol towel and we are never damaged goods. I completely understand how it would be frustrating but I can tell you lots of meaningless sex can become very frustrating. Hold out for love and it will find you. There was a time in my life where all my friends around me were settling down and I have always been a hopeless romantic but was forcing myself into relationships early cause I thrived to be loved as I loved. I would get depressed and thought maybe what might be wrong with me. I was young and am still but I feel with love and sex along with many other things come when we least expect it. Sex is not everything unless you have someone to share it with and You will find someone that will be accepting of all you are.
    Hope this helped some
    Stay Strong With Love!
    :)

19. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

There is more to life than physical pleasure, which is pretty much all that sex alone is. Many of the most brilliant philosophers of times past have warned against a life based around hedonism. It is something quite different when you actually love a person for who they are. Sex in and of itself is nice, but it isn't everything. I have found that the more obsessed people are with sex, the less intelligent they usually are. A sexless life can be worth living if you have fulfillment in other areas, such as intellectual and spiritual fulfillment. If you are brainwashed by popular culture, it might seem that a sexless life isn't worth living because that is what is shoved down our throats.

20. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

Yeah, sex isn't everything. But I'd put it up there with food and water.

I suppose a sexless life could be worth living. Like, I wouldn't kill myself if my dick fell off. I would find a way to be happy, as I always do. But I would rather loose all of my other limbs I think.

Edit: You have a valid point Matt, but it seems like you think that anyone who disagrees with you is a brainwashed sheep in the pockets of the elite. This is simply not true. Probably a lot, maybe even most, but there are a lot of people who's love for sex has absolutely nothing to do with popular culture.