If you were famous, would you voice your (controversial) opinions or lay low?

Discussion in 'People' started by zer0, Mar 13, 2022.

1. zer0

zer0 Members

Not that I'm famous or plan to be :grimacing: But I'm in the entertainment biz and this question comes up a lot. At what point, if ever, do you make your views known to the public?

Politics is a hotbed of hate these days, and I guess it's always been that way ever since mass media took off (McCarthy blacklisted, anyone?) Careers, if not lives, have been ruined on all sides of the political spectrum just for voicing an opinion.

It's easy to say "stand up for what you believe in" or "just be yourself", but these simple concepts come with a heavy price tag when saying something as innocuous as "I voted for [so and so]" could flatten your career. I'm a liberal hippy tree hugger vegan. But if that news ever leaked out (beyond these walls lol) it would be damaging to my career in this judgmental climate. What's the answer?

2. jimandjan

jimandjan Member

I would never talk politics or religion. America is a free country, (for the time being) People believe what they want to believe.

3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

There are reasons I'm not famous... This wouldn't be one of them.

Aster, Spectacles and zer0 like this.
  4. Aster

Aster Members

I want to say I wouldn't want to stir any more drama and keep peace between myself and people but one of us does like to voice her opinions often.
    So instead I will say it would depend on the topic. I am outspoken on Facebook about the war in Ukraine(that said I do constantly question the logic of such social media) at the moment because it's dear to me as I'm part Ukrainian, and because I'm very strongly anti-war. But there are topics that are important to me that I know if I talk about, it will upset others and maybe myself too.
    So if I was famous, I would try to keep things to myself unless they absolutely had to be taken off my chest.

5. zer0

zer0 Members

This really hits on the conflict between fame & conscience. When we're outspoken about things we believe in, it actually does make a difference. The Ukraine invasion is one of the first illegal wars that's getting some due attention and I think that's entirely because of social media. The USA trampled all over Iraq the same way 20 years ago but social media didn't have the power it has now. Only reason I'm mentioning it is because it's a great example of how social media influencers (fame) can do the job that corporate media outlets can't.

If we scale that up with being famous--take George Takei for example--we see how outspoken celebrities are making a difference in turning heads to the issues. And they're probably taking hits to their careers, as well as cyber bullying, but I guess that's a sacrifice they're ok with. On the opposite end of the spectrum there's Trump toady Kanye West who's taking some major heat for his Orange views but I guess it hasn't hurt his brand enough for him to stfu. :worried:

Aster likes this.
  6. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Matters not whether I am famous or not, I most certainly do voice my opinions, as others on here can testify and it can be seen for all who are prepared to read.

etherea, scratcho and Aster like this.
  7. wyldwynd

wyldwynd ~*~ Super Moderator

Fame is overrated …I would rather be an inventor or a writer or something not related to fame ..privacy is everything

scratcho, Aster, zer0 and 2 others like this.
  8. wyldwynd

wyldwynd ~*~ Super Moderator

Also I think anyone and everyone should speak… diversity is everything and as long as you have opposing or agreeing opinions both take on reasoning and increase understanding

yes also don’t ask a question to someone if you don’t want to hear their honest answer or become easily offended …then again if you do become easily offended that is considered a bonus for the person who offended you

9. zer0

zer0 Members

That's my ideal too. It would be great to do something world changing but stay in the shadows completely unknown.

The rub is that fame has value as a tool, just like money if used properly. A famous person can use their influence to get things done that nobody else can. Maybe the answer is to set up an alter ego while keeping your true identity private. The painter "Banksy" comes to mind

Aster likes this.
  10. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Probably a good thing I'm not famous, because I've never been able to keep my fat yap shut.

etherea, EZGoing and zer0 like this.
  11. ermagerd

ermagerd Members

I would not be outspoken in my political or religious beliefs. I think that politics is already everywhere and the last place I want to see even more of it is in any entertainment that I enjoy, regardless of what their views are. I find it very annoying when people are throwing their beliefs in my face and I don't want to do the same to anyone else.

12. MidtownMind

MidtownMind Hip Forums Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I would lay as low as I possibly could. In all situations.

Pretty much like I do now.

EZGoing likes this.
  13. EZGoing

EZGoing Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Voicing an opinion about a controversial topic only serves to alienate 50% of the population…. and rarely changes anyone’s mind.

My advice:
    Listen, smile, then do whatever made you famous in the first place.

14. Riza3000

Riza3000 Members

I'd honestly lay low and keep most (if not all) my opinions on controversial topics like political/religious beliefs to myself. Especially now in the age of social media (Twitter), I wouldn't risk losing my career. I'm ashamed to say I'd basically be too much of a wuss to be outspoken. Though, I admit that I'm not really an outspoken--not afraid to speak my mind type of person. I'm more of an observer than anything lol

15. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

An interesting question.
    Bishop James Pike was a vocal critic of the US involvement in the Vietnam war when public opinion was for involvement. He was a brave man , ahead of his time in his thinking.
    With the rise of social media , the mainstream media is not as influential as it once was.

16. I couldn't ever not voice my opinion. Regardless of situation, people have a right to do so.

scratcho and Tyrsonswood like this.
  17. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

If we all stayed silent, bastards like Boris and Trump would get away with everything they've done without a murmur !!!

scratcho likes this.