If you live in GA

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by Elle, Aug 18, 2004.

1. sprout

sprout DeadHead

I love the ATL skyline...

Sure there are yups anywhere you go but something about ATL gets me everytime.

2. LutherGooch

LutherGooch Member

Be prepared for religion, ignorance, and the buddy system.

3. VilleValoV

VilleValoV Member

Savannah GA is where its at man.

4. neodude1212

neodude1212 Senior Member

yeah savannah's where im at.

it's pretty cool here.

what?

I guess your representing the ignorance.....

5. Old Stoner

Old Stoner Member

Anyone ever look to see how OLD this thread is? Chances are, Elle has MOVED to Alabama by now, he, he, he...

HOWEVER...

You are SO right. The religious right would have us to believe that we are all headed for hell. And they say he's a loving God...Kinda makes you wonder.

The ignorance stems from years of government bullshit being beat into you, if you are from the south.

And the buddy system - well - if you don't have a "buddy", you no smokie.

6. alexxxx

alexxxx Member

its fine. just like anywhere else. i personally hate it.

7. Old Stoner

Old Stoner Member

The older you get, the more you begin to realize that ALL places have their disadvantages, and advantages as well. Your right, alexxxx, "just like anywhere else."

Born, raised, and lived here all my life.

And that is the main reason I'm getting the hell out of here, as soon as I can retire, LOL...

8. neodude1212

love it here.

9. Old Stoner

Old Stoner Member

Atlanta, Macon, Savannah, etc., i.e. the larger towns are pretty cool. The small towns suck badly - rednecks all over the place....

10. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

i personally feel the exact opposite,. the cities in georgia suck ass,there filled with a buncha money focused babylon entrenched transplanted wannabes from all over the country.

the smaller towns are for the most part filled with kind accepting easy going folks..

i was born in a small town here and other than 7 years of traveling i have spent my entire life in georgia..

dont believe the folks that are paranoid of country folks..although im sure some of the small towns in georgia are backwards and redneck,i would have to say most the small towns in georgia are not that way.the people who say otherwise obviously have never spent enough time in the small towns to quit stereotyping the good folks that live in them...

11. neodude1212

and you on the other hand just stereotyped everyone that lives in the big cities....

12. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

true enough,, i should clarify,my mom and both my sisters live in and around atlanta.although my mother was the oldest of 13 kids and raised in haralson county on a 600 acre farm,she is like the rest in and around atlanta,consumed by the city.im sorry,i feel the city does something to the human psyche that is just not beneficial.

the lifestyle the city forces you to live repulses me and quite frankly i feel it rapes a person of a lot of there kindness and compassion. i havent met anyone down there in 20 years that is near as kind and down to earth as 99% of the folks who live in the rural areas..that includes what its done to my own family. maybe i just dont spend enough time down there?which gos back to what i said about the stereotypes of us country folk,maybe its the same from others eyes for that reason as well,,i dont know.

so if i made a generalization i apologize,i was basing my statement on what i see in my day to day life just as those who say opposite do..

i guess its all in what eyes your looking through and from which direction..

as for me, ill keep holdin up in my "redneck" town where folks dont look at us weird, or tighten there hold on there purse when they see us coming.(we both have dreads,,an well lets just say some would say we are usually unkempt ;) )

i wonder if the folks in the all gay subdivision down the road think this town is redneck?

13. dena

dena Member

Hey all. I've lived in Georgia pretty much my whole life. I grew up in Valdosta(south Ga.), moved to the Atl. area for my teens and 20's(mostly partied and had a great time), then I settled in middle Ga. I'm in Byron now. Me and Kudzu try to dominate each other in summer, haha!
    Dena

14. zenguitar420

zenguitar420 Guest

Well in case you do decide to move here welcome to Atlanta in advance Elle, I'm in my 20s and I've lived here since I was 2 - so I'll tell you what I've figured out over the years about ATL Now I'm a guy so I don't know if ladies would have a different perspective but here's how I see it. Marietta is very square, same for the VA Highlands area and Norcross - but they're all pretty hip compared to South GA LOL (and Sprout I know you'll agree with me on that one!). Little 5 Points is like a mini Greenwich Village or Haight Ashbury during their prime - but a little more laid back. There's a cool restaraunt/bar/club over there called The Five Spot which always has live music with no cover, and the food's pretty good - the drinks are great. Lots of cool people hang out there. The best way to connect with people on the same wavelength (besides this website) is concerts - the hip community in ATL seems to be small until you go to a concert and realize there's probably more here than anywhere else in the South, you just have to go to the right places to find em I remember a few years back going to a Phil & Friends concert and being amazed cuz there was an ocean of hip people - it was a bigger crowd than I've seen at some mainstream rap or rock concerts. Everybody was gettin their 420 on and makin new friends and just soaking up the vibes it was pretty cool. Of course in this city Dead concerts or any jam band concerts are safe bets to meet cool people, same for reggae concerts. But basically if you're a fun person you'll meet cool people wherever you go, even if it's a square area - cuz there's always a few rebels even in the squarest spots So don't be bummed out if you're moving to Marietta cuz you should'nt have a problem connecting with cool people even out there. Athens and Savannah are pretty hip places by the way - they're a long way from ATL but worth the trip. I live on the north side of ATL which is pretty boring (and let me hop on my soapbox for a minute about C Marley's post, don't believe him NO EVERYONE WHO LIVES ON THE NORTH SIDE ISN'T RICH LOL I'm just another one of this city's 10,000 musicians I'm not a rich guy LOL but that was funny to read.) Anyway hope I answered some of your questions Elle, peace love and good vibes to everybody else who posted and Sprout I haven't talked to you in a while you probably don't recognize my new username - this is Raven the guitar player I remember when you were trying to help get the Atlanta hippie gathering started a while back (years and years ago). Anyway if you or Pixitrixi or Peacegypsy or anybody else on here wants to chill sometime or just wants some recommendations on cool places to hang out in ATL, hit me up. I'm also working on setting up a monthly jam session for all the hip musicians in town so spread the word. But yeah all of ya'll can hit me on my email if you want: (fenderfan2003@yahoo.com) cuz I'm never on AIM or yahoo messenger and I only get on Hip Forums every once in a while.
    Peace love and respect,
    Just Another ATL Hippie Guitar Player
    http://www.hipgallery.com/photopost2/showphoto.php/photo/165972/cat/2707

15. confused_21

confused_21 Member

16. geroy

geroy Guest

Let it will appear an unwarranted precaution, than the bitter truth.-!!! (2008.08.12 21:16)

From a forum of Ossetia, the request to be in earnest as much as possible:
    URGENTLY!!!! TRANSFER And SEND to ALL!!!! EXTRA URGENTLY!!! To EXTEND In Georgia EVERYWHERE!!! In the western Georgia, in Kutaisi, groups of supporters of NATO from the Western Ukraine and Baltic nationalists who have changed clothes in the Russian form are generated and have received the Russian weapon. Many cities of the Western Georgia are now left by the Georgian armies and police, and Russia does not wish to begin occupation actually Georgia, therefore there full anarchy, the population is given to itself and is without protection. According to military journalists, the USA hands of Ukrainians and Balts prepare grandiose provocation - mass atrocities among local population under the pretext of the Russian military men. All of them, certainly, speak Russian also white so the Georgian population will not distinguish them from Russian. With these European "misters" of video-and photoequipment for illumination of "Russian"; atrocities. PROVOCATIONS are possible In the NEAR FUTURE! Now all Georgia is disconnected from the domain. ru and through AOL to notify the big number the Georgian it is impossible - they here simply are not present. Georgians! If at you is making related or friends in the Western or the Central Georgia, in cities left the Georgian army - let take out IMMEDIATELY women, children, old men, it is desirable in Tbilisi, there provocations hardly will be, there the Georgian army. Men let create national teams for self-defence. In case of provocation, let take NATO's murderers ALIVE. Georgians! RUSSIAN to YOU NOT ENEMIES! In Russia all divide the Georgian people and "Georgian" - that is the American occupational government! Anybody in Russia does not wish sufferings the brotherly Georgian people! The Russian army never will go on atrocities among the peace population! The most malicious enemies of Russia both Russian people Baltic and West Ukrainian nationalists, ideological successors СС "Galichina" "wood brothers" and "the Latvian marksmen" will not stop before what to expose Russian murderers and barbarians! To EXTEND URGENTLY! EACH HOUR OF ROADS!

17. do0zer

do0zer Member

Atlanta Sucks

18. makelovenotwar94

makelovenotwar94 Member

Atlanta's okay..I moved here about 2 and a half years ago, but I miss Boston. =[

19. floydian_dreamer

floydian_dreamer Member

I was born and raised in Georgia. (a small town for that matter).

I both love and loathe it.

As for the ignorance, yes, it is quite common, unfortuantely.

The further south you go, the more religious.

Some people are nice, and some are not.

thats about it.

20. Slingblade

Slingblade Member

Just dont make too many wrong turns in ATL at night. When all the windows have bars and it just gun & liquor stores for miles youre in the wrong (or right :D ) hood.