If You Had The Chance To Go Back To 1969 At The Age Of 19 Would You?

Discussion in 'Ask The Old Hippies' started by Rivehn, Apr 5, 2016.

1. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i was curious too. she said that technology is the problem now, so i assume it's because back then guys would have to put polaroids of their dicks in her mailbox rather than flooding her inbox with digital pics of them.

2. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2fkXt__lck

C/S,
    Rev J

3. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

Strictly speaking, "equality" and "happiness" are not the same thing, though one might imagine the two to be inextricably bound.

There was a study a while back titled something like "The paradox of declining female happiness" that looked at data from the 70's to the present, and found that women were less happy now then they were back then. I don't know enough about the study to vouch for its reliability, but it seems plausible to me that such a decline has taken place (it only measured the US, btw).

There's little doubt that women have much greater political and economic power compared to men now than they did then.

Maybe money, power, and "equality" don't necessarily lead to happiness?

4. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Right now yes. Ask me in a few months and maybe it would be no.

5. magickman

magickman Supporters HipForums Supporter

I was five years old in 1969. Given the opportunity to be a teen in that time period, (I know quite a few people who were then, and have heard about it) I would do it in a heart beat.

I'd have gone to college to dodge the draft, or go to Canada. I experienced enough backfire during the 'Nam years to know we didn't need to be there. I'd have grown my hair long and start a band. I love playing guitar, and I grew my hair starting in Jr. High and wore it long for many years. I always felt I was born too late. I got to drive the badass cars that came out in that period, when they were cheap second hand cars. Mainly Mopars- Road Runner, Challenger, GTX. I enjoyed the hell out of those cars. With jacked-up rear ends and fat tires on the back. But I live near a college, and saw the experience going on and thought it was cool. I had an old radio I carried around like Linus carries his blanket everywhere. Cool music, esp. on weekend nights!

Yes, if I had the opportunity...Free Love...Acid (Oh fuck yes)!!! [​IMG] Lots of hallucinogens and weed, on and on. Was definitely born too late. Now I settle for "stoner rock", good shit for our time period.
    My guitar rig - Ibanez (soon to be Fender Jaguar), amp loaded with effects. Fuzz, Distortion and Overdrive pedals, and Dimebag Wah. And love dive bombing my whammy bar. Yeah dammit I'd be there.

6. themnax

themnax Senior Member

only if i could live in canada and didn't have to worry about the draft. or if i know a bunch of people who had some land i could live on without having to become an agricultural slave to do so.
    i mean it was an ok time, but for me it wasn't anything all that special.
    well i was born in 48 so in 69 i turned 21, literally, in the air force, learning how to fix airborn radar jamming transmitters and that sort of thing.

the 70s were pretty good for me. i suppose any decade one is in their 20s mostly would be. and there were a lot of things in the 60s i felt good about.
    mccarthyism being, not over yet, but loosing popularity, kennidy and king and all that going on, man on the moon.

but i really never got in on all those social things people make such a big deal about. i was pretty self contained, though i did have some loves.
    my dreams, well i really wasn't looking for what the anti-mainstream was looking for any more then what the mainstream was.
    i liked the back to the earth idea, and finally got to do a little something about it in the late 70s, but that was about it.

7. Sunnyone2

Sunnyone2 Members

Why is it no women answer? Didn't any of them make it? I was 17 going on 18yrs and marking the days off the calender when I would turn 18 and graduate. These were thankfully back to back days. I was ready for anything. Ran away to the Summer of Love with a Friend of mine who happened to be black. I was run down by my brother and dragged back and slapped around by family members. I was shocked by their bigotry. All i knew is I was going to find my way to San Francisco someday and never turn back !
    This I finally did and have never missed where I came from. The Bay area is the most beautiful and cool place in the world! Peace on !

1 person likes this.
  8. Scratched

Scratched Members

Under those circumstances and times, hell yes!

But I would move to Canada and then come back here as a musician lol. What a crazy time period though.

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Jenny they're sending me to Vietnam

10. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Don't try to be brave, Forrest. Just run away, don't try to be brave

1 person likes this.
  11. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Weed wasn't as potent back in 1969.

12. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

It would be interesting to see the difference between the tense politcal climate then compared to now. I feel like in both times there was a lot of talk of people being "unamerican" as well as the racial tensions. The LSD would be plentiful and cheap and the music would be good.

1 person likes this.
  13. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

There was good and bad music in every single era. The garbage music that was popular in 1969 just isn't remembered much today.

Back in 1969, the charges for a DUI were a lot less strict, but marijuana charges were much more severe.

The word "queer" meant odd, and "gay" meant cheerful.

Of course, the cars back then looked a lot cooler

1 person likes this.
  14. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I definitely am not time traveling for political reasons or to watch politics.

I'd go watch sports games and music concerts though that be hell fun.

Actually I'd just go back and have fun like I already do now. I can't see myself really settling down into this person where I get into gripes over politics or that I need to calm down because I'm 30 or something and now we speak of being 19 again in a time and place I've never known? Ohh yeah then it's all about having fun for me.

15. psymon*

psymon* shadilay

I would go back to that time in which I was not alive. I have an great uncle who attended the original Woodstock. I would have gone to Vietnam, come back to be spit in by some anti war so called peaceful protestor and would have Defended myself and others by smsashing the assholes..

Would have happily returned the favor for the lack of understanding and lack humanity shown at that time. i would have organized protestors for the protestors, we would have been the true example of the peaceful protestorss.

16. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Well said

17. Jude96

Jude96 Members

I'd love to temporarily go back and get a taste of that era...

18. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I think I would be ok with going back permanently.

19. Virginia Ekblom

Virginia Ekblom Members

:disrelieved: War makes me cry.

20. KathyL

KathyL Super Moderator Super Moderator

If I could go back knowing what I know now, hell yes. I'd get to hear all the bands, check out the scene, and then avoid a lot of mistakes. But if "no knowledge of the future" means that I forget who I am now and have to try to do all that shit over again from scratch, no way. I finally got to a good place. I'm staying.