If You Had The Chance To Go Back To 1969 At The Age Of 19 Would You?

Discussion in 'Ask The Old Hippies' started by Rivehn, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Lego Batman

Lego Batman Scissors paper rocks

Id much rather go back
    Before WW2
    As an observer of course
    the 1950s cars
    60s
    Civil rights marches
    70s disco can you dig it
    80s break dancing again loved that shit
    I am to fat for that now

Angelmama likes this.
  2. Trems

Trems Members

I was 4 at the time. It was good, but 19 would have been better. As much as I'd love to dive in, we have it so good right now, and I have way too much good in my life to casually toss aside.

Angelmama likes this.
  3. bry75

bry75 Members

I was born in 75. I would love to go to 1969 at 19.

4. soulpoker

soulpoker Senior Member

The music, the cars, the sex...hell yeah! Though I would miss some of the technology, but all candy, pop, etc. had real sugar.
    Just to see the bands live especially when they were up and coming!

Angelmama likes this.
  5. highlander69

highlander69 Members

nope was in school I hated school!!

6. Eric50

Eric50 Members

Yes. I think that would have been fun.

7. Angelmama

Angelmama Angel Lifetime Supporter

You bet I would. I would write down all those mistakes I made the first time around and avoid making them again...
    Oh wait. In 1969 I was only 16.
    Never mind.

8. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

As a 45 year old who's studied the history and culture we've fucked up so hard we've gone back further than '69. Technology has helped the regression.

C/S,
    Rev J

9. soulpoker

soulpoker Senior Member

As someone who's similarly aged, I agree overall, but I say there are exceptions. The LGBT community is more accepted than it was back then, even by hippies, or at least acknowledged as more than a fringe group. Also more in the open is domestic and sexual violence against women and children. I question whether it occurs significantly less, but at least we know about it, which allows for more victims to be helped, rather than feel obligated to grin and bear it lest they be blamed for their violation.
    I also agree to some extent with technology not helping. It's so easy to put up an anonymous and unvetted but credible (to some) meme on social media and have it seen by many people who believe it without questioning only because they want to believe it, which emboldens sometimes questionable, let's say, ideologies. That's not making America greater again.
    On the other hand, car engines are more efficient and less polluting. Fundamentally new technologies promise even more of that.
    It's a mixed bag. The last four years have been shitty and fixing that won't happen overnight.

Angelmama likes this.
  10. Angelmama

I dropped out in 69.
    I went back for my GED when I was 32. I then went to Greenfield Community College and got my degree in English, Creative Writing, and Art.
    It's never too late...

Gayandgray likes this.
  11. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I was actually 15 in 1969, a little too young for Woodstock, so yeah I'd love to go back as a 19 year old.

It's 1969 so I'd bet all my money on the NY Mets and Jets. Then over the years I'd be sure to invest in Apple, Microsoft, etc. when they were fledgling companies. Talk about learning from the past!

Gayandgray and highlander69 like this.
  12. Angelmama

CAPITALISM!
    People are always asking me whether I was at Woodstock.
    I was just 16 but I'd quit school and planned to go.
    My mother found out so locked me in my room.
    It was only supposed to be a small festival so I wasn't missing much... if I had only known!

Gayandgray likes this.
  13. highlander69

highlander69 Members

i was 15 in 69 allso honestly i didn t even know about it till album came out...Funny tho i had lot of people tell me they went people my age and younger hahaha Like going to VFW lot of vets The older they get better they were. war and draft was over when i graduated people that grad after me tell me they nam vets haha most only joined case was eather that jail or canada. Now they all war heros haha

14. Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet Lifetime Supporter

I think Woodstock was 6 9 .Yes I wish I was old enough to have been there.

15. Angelmama

If everyone who claimed to have been there really were there would have been multiple millions.

highlander69 and Reverand JC like this.
  16. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I was 15 and living in Massachusetts in 1969, less than a day's drive from Woodstock, and I had heard there was going to be a big music festival, but I didn't think much of it at the time. I thought, "I can't afford it, and besides my folks would never let me go!" After it happened I was kinda pissed that I had missed it, wished I had told my folks I was going camping with a friend, and then hitchhiked there with him.

17. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

At this point I would go anywhere/time, just as long as I don't have to do 2020 over again... Fug that shyt.

Reverand JC and highlander69 like this.
  18. Angelmama

Just to go back to 2016 would be enough I guess.
    Rig the election to get rid of Trump.
    Even Hillary would be better. I kinda held my nose to vote for her but I bet she'd have handled the virus problem MUCH better!

highlander69 likes this.
  19. soulpoker

soulpoker Senior Member

But you-know-who wouldn't stop bitching about losing...which actually isn't too different the way it turned out because his entitled, narcissistic ass is always bitching about something anyway.

20. Angelmama

At least he wouldn't be doing it 24/7 on every news station...oh, and on Faux.