If you could send a message back in time..

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by IamnotaMan, Jul 10, 2013.

1. IamnotaMan

IamnotaMan I am Thor. On sabba-tickle. Still available via us

What would you tell your younger self?

How old a you would you seek out?
    Would it be difficult for you to tell "them" certain things? Or would you even remain silent?

IN OTHER WORDS - what would you do differently if you were living your life again, from the beginning ...?

2. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

"Don't do it...nor that..." repeatedly.

3. IamnotaMan

Hmm. And you think your life would have been better? Or would you be chasing different expectations?

I think it all sounds easy. But I wonder how it might work out in practice..

4. TAZER-69

TAZER-69 Listen To Your Heart! Lifetime Supporter

I would be a better person and not do some of the things that I thought was cool back then. I would change the things that I am not proud of doing. But I wouldn't change anything else because if I did I most likely wouldn't be where I am today and would not be with the group of people that I call my family and friends.

If I could send a message to someone else I would tell J F Kennedy to put the top up on the car before driving through Dallas.

5. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

(6 years and a few months ago) ask her out now, for fucks sake. otherwise you'll be waiting 6 years.

(5 years ago) don't start smoking, you stupid prick. 5 years from now you will get out of breath when climbing a small flight of stairs and quitting will be a pain in the arse.

(3 years ago) this relationship is unhealthy for both of you, and is losing you the respect and patience of people who you will ultimately come to realise you miss more than this person.

(3 years ago) your family need you right now, you can't run away from your responsibilities by taking more drugs. also, stop smoking weed, its making you incredibly unhappy, the good times on it are gone, you won't get them back by trying to keep up with your friends. they will understand.

(more recently) do more things, you will come to regret having not taken all the opportunities that have been presented to you.

6. Lucretia

Lucretia Member

Do not chase whiskey with pickle juice.

7. IamnotaMan

Some v interesting responses (esp pickle juice hehe ;) )
    I'll comment more later in the thread.

I think I'd want to speak to myself at:-
    1) 3 to 5yrs - a really formative time..
    2) 8 yrs - when I first felt truly aware.
    3)12 years and 14/15 yrs -mainly about social things.
    4)16yrs - when career paths begin to be decided
    5)At law school
    6)just after law school. say 23 yrs
    7)probably at 26, when you realise that you aren't a kid any more.
    My paths wouldn't nec be different, maybe my mindset sometimes..

8. Quoth the Raven

Quoth the Raven RaveIan

4 years ago last month, around 2AM: ditch the weed, that car behind you is the police.

9. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Nothing is true, everything is permitted :D I would probably not listen to a supposed message from my future self.

10. IamnotaMan

@Tazer and autophobe and Quoth
    I always think about "vices" but I have to wonder, if we're told "this is dangerous/silly" don't we just think "ahh I'll try it anyway cos its fun". Also, if we avoid one vice, aren't some of us inclined to try another to replace it.
    I know ex drinkers, who took up gambling, lots of things like that.

@Autophobe again, relats can be a hard one. Some people try and tough things out.
    On one hand I believe in destiny on that. On another, I think that much is in our own hands.. Who knows ... haha.

I've just noticed from my post that my mind works in 4 year cycles. I even avoided this place for... four years...Hmmm Strange..

11. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I would have told myself to start saving at 20 to buy stock in Microsoft, and Apple as soon as it became available.

12. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

I would tell myself to do certain things.
    But in reality, I probably wouldn't because of the butterfly effect it would have on my life.

13. high anxiety

high anxiety Banned

I would have to ask the person who stuck a funny msg on my computer all those years ago...what was it that you wanted from me...

14. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

there were a few things that i've said to people that i might consider telling myself not to say... but then i would worry about how that would affect my development. maybe i needed to feel bad about saying those things in order to become the person i am today?

15. outonthetiles

outonthetiles Member

hmmm... that's tough my first thought was that I would tell myself to not get married! (but I'm not sure if I would have had all of my kids if we weren't married-so..)

If I had a chance to tell my younger self anything I would say to take better care of myself, eat better, meditate and moisturize! lol!

16. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

I would be 17 and tell myself to put down that cigarette.

17. sojourner777

sojourner777 Member

I would tell my younger self all the sports scores, lottery winning numbers and stock prices every day. I would sooo live in financial comfort. If I tried to alter my decisions, I would not have listened. But one lottery winning and I sure would listen!

18. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

id send the message to 1988 and i would tell myself to stay away from atv's..the fun is not worth the damage

plus id make myself promise to be a better friend to a certain someone who im certain was the "one"

19. My names Cory

My names Cory Senior Member

Do not get underage drinking citations!! :( lol..

20. a jackal

a jackal Member

don't save your dad's life