If You Cloned Yourself ...

Discussion in 'Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Trans, etc.' started by Duncan, May 25, 2004.

1. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

... are you certain that it would have the exact same sexual orientation and turn ons ?

2. monosphere

monosphere Holly's Hubby

Not necessarily. Why are there identical twins out there with differing sexualities? That's one of the reasons I sometimes question the genetic disposition theory. But then there are pleny of twins with same sexuality. I think it's just a crap shoot.

3. Defence_mechanism

Defence_mechanism Member

it would depend on how they were brought up. i think its a mixture between nature and nurture.

by the way, by the subject of this thread i thought you were going to ask something totally different. there was a thread in the old forums that threw a question out there: "if you cloned yourself would you be attracted to/sleep with your clone?". it freaked me out a little...:eek:

4. butterfly

butterfly Member

I agree with the part nature part nurture theory. If I was bought up in a horribly repressive environment then I might have just ignored all homosexual thoughts....and then it might have built up and built up, and I might have gone crazy and ended up killing someone... So it's probably better like this.....

5. Mui

Mui Senior Member

if i cloned myself i think ide have to sexor myself up

is that masturbation still?

6. Taylor

Taylor Repatriated

I don't know. my sexuality is really fluid anyway and if I was cloned then things might end up being different.

7. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I've been giving this some reconsideration. Since I'm not sure about the genetics factor of homosexuality, who can tell? Maybe there is some sort of horoscopic factor involved... although I don't think I would want to see everyone born at the same time and place as I.

8. SativaDiva

SativaDiva Member

No because the body may physically be like mine, but thoughts and feelings come from one's one point of view and outlook. The other SativaDiva would see things differently because her life would be different.

9. Rigamarole

Rigamarole Senior Member

I thought the question was going to be, "if you cloned yourself, would you have sex with yourself?"

My answer to that question of course is a resounding yes! And I'm not even gay!

10. SageDreamer

SageDreamer Senior Member

For me, the key word is "certain."

No, I'm not certain.

We still don't know why some people are gay and some people aren't.

When it comes to very specific and individual turnons, my theory--and it's just a theory--is that they are the result of lots and lots of different experiences and influences. A clone wouldn't have the same input that I have, so those turnons probably wouldn't be exactly the same.

11. nesta

nesta Banned

if you had sex with the clone would it be incest or masturbation?

12. Ocean Byrd

Ocean Byrd Artificial Energy

Highly doubtable... Sexual orientation? I dunno, I don't think it's genetically based... Turn ons? No way... unless, of course, you make a clone of yourself that contains all of your memories prior to it's creation.

13. Ocean Byrd

Ocean Byrd Artificial Energy

XD

I'm gonna go with masturbation. :H

14. melyn

melyn Member

If I cloned myself then i'd wonder what the hell had gone wrong with science and either kill myself or the clone, as to whether the dead part of myself would be a lesbian i'd probably say yes, but I can't be certain so i'd say maybe.

And I could'nt have sex with it, it would feel like incest to me.

15. james q

james q Uranian

hope so

16. james q

james q Uranian

i'm not sure about that. i remember my first juvenile experiences with oral sex. they surprised me at the time in that they were driven by such strong desires i knew nothing about. we all understood what to do and what felt good and so on, yet we were too young to have had these kinds of experiences before (at least in this lifetime). so where did that intuitive knowledge come from?

17. SageDreamer

SageDreamer Senior Member

It's difficult to say where intuitive knowledge comes from.

Anyhow, if you have good first experiences with oral sex, you're going to seek those experiences out later. If you have bad first experiences with oral sex, you're not going to be as likely to want to do it again soon.

If your clone has experiences that are profoundly different from yours, your clone may develop different turnons.

Does your clone have the same past lives that you do? I can't answer that.

18. james q

james q Uranian

i used to think we are a blank sheet when we come into life but i don't think that way anymore. freud called it 'drives', other ppl called it 'intuition'. i don't know what i'd call it.

not sure if that's always the case. a lot of what they call repetition compulsions are based in abusive experiences of early childhood. hence the person who was sexually abused as a kid may well abuse others when he grows up despite the fact that the original experience was prob'ly traumatic. but yes, in my case, i had mostly good, if not naughty, first experiences with sex but the social paranoia around homosexuality wasn't such fun.

or different ways of expressing and acting out similar turn ons?

D
    inasmuch as you share dna, then i'd say yes u would. memory would derive from the one source. but as u say the life experiences would be v different and individuated and separate 'subjectivities' would exist from birth. but what i say might also be a lot of bs. i find it tricky understanding the one of me...