If we could do lightspeed...

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Mandykepp, May 24, 2019.

1. Mandykepp

Mandykepp Banned

Even if you could travel as fast as “light speed” or “hyperdrive”, and had the energy source to do it, you’d have to be carrying twice as much fuel as most people think. Because in order to slow down from that speed in space you’d need the same amount just to stop as you did getting going. You also wouldn’t speed up and slow down like in the movies because even in space you can feel acceleration and deceleration. You’d be spat against the inside if you stopped on a dime from that speed, just like you would in a car crash. Thoughts?

Asmodean likes this.
  2. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Surely Spaceships Have Seat Belts And Air Bags To Prevent This From Happening...???... :D

Cheers Glen.

3. If we could, it would while

4. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Relativistic physics are fucked, containing the glaring Simultaneity Paradox, but the mathematics imply to move faster than light you would require more energy than contained in the entire universe. Just to go from earth to the nearest star at the speed of light would require as much energy as a small moon of anti-matter, requiring a hundred times more energy to produce, but theories suggest once you get there you could set up a star gate that allows people to simply walk back and forth.

My own belief is that individually massive objects move slower than light, and collectively faster than light, and what is required is a quantum singularity and not relativistic physics. It should be possible to manipulate space-time in roughly 430 ways, but travel between the stars via something like a singularity would require the singularity itself approve of anyone or anything passing through. It acts as a sort of Star Trek style Guardian of Forever, and part of the price of passage through one would be some of the individual's personal freedom being surrendered to the collective unconscious. Another way to look at it that is equally valid, is that going through a singularity means you enter another universe with no hope of coming back.

There should be 4 universes that closely parallel our own and 32 total that are fairly easy to reach that are similar to our own. The existence of such singularities could also possibly explain why we have not detected alien life as simply the result of the fact humanity has not yet obtained a significant enough singularity for first contact. Jodi Foster's movie suggested the instructions came from radio waves for making a singularity, but humanity is about to produce them in rather large numbers in the computing industry and the physics are about to be revealed.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  5. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

We can only handle about 1/2 the amount of G force in an upward direction along the spine as we can in a downward direction along the spine

5 Gs at most for the average person pushing blood down to the feet, Around 2 1/2 Gs pushing blood up to the brain ( any more causes blindness) We can handle more horizontal to the spine

Further complicated because extended exposure to G Forces where the vibration oscillates at certain ratios to the size of internal organs is more likely to rupture them

But -50 m/s2 is about the most an average human can handle

Speed of light to 0 at -50m/s2 would be 6 million seconds, 2.3 months

6. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

well i think you would need no fuel, so twice that means that i would need no fuel. that's awesome news!

7. Mandykepp

Mandykepp Banned

Sry interesting!!! But very based in fiction I think... but maybe! It’s always good to dream of solutions to difficult problems, even the most unlikely scenario now could be the truth of tomorrow!

Asmodean and thefallenone1986 like this.
  8. wooleeheron

Everyone assumes quantum mechanics is fiction, because you can call it anything you like and it doesn't matter.

9. Mandykepp

Mandykepp Banned

Well it is fiction until it’s proven.. but I think that if you can think it up, it very may well be provable. Because I think the real big truths in the universe may be ones that our brains can’t even come up with, not even the most creative people

10. wooleeheron

Quantum mechanics are the most wildly useful theory ever devised, describing everything except for gravity, and I am writing the book describing how to prove 42 is as good as it gets.

11. Mandykepp

Mandykepp Banned

42 what

12. wooleeheron

A singularity, I have evidence we inhabit a paradoxical and metaphorical multiverse within a singularity. The evidence includes about twenty different ways to prove it with quantifiable empirical evidence including unique predictions. Contrary to the common western belief that a paradox is completely meaningless, our exhibits a rather complex scalar symmetry.

13. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

It's derived from the book A Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy where some beings ask a supercomputer the answer to everything and it returns 42.

14. Mandykepp

Mandykepp Banned

I like this answer better. Wooleron is a bit too intense for me... lol

bluewatersurfer likes this.
  15. wooleeheron

Linguistic analysis isn't for everybody. Where would we be if everyone agreed on what everything meant?

16. Mandykepp

Mandykepp Banned

*sings* So long and thanks for all the fish!
    :tonguewink:

guerillabedlam likes this.
  17. wooleeheron

Commercial fishing will soon be impossible, since there won't be enough fish left in any of the oceans to make it worthwhile. All the fish you possibly could want is now available in VR, coming on the next PlayStation!

18. Mandykepp

Mandykepp Banned

Mmkay, well as long as there’s fish...
    Who said anything about commercial fishing?!:expressionless:
    I was singing.... from Hitchhiker’s Guide...

19. wooleeheron

I'm just saying, its just as well the dolphins are leaving.

20. Mandykepp

Mandykepp Banned

Well we did destroy the planet and it had to be reset. That’s the good thing about books and movies, they’re all true