If it ain't Dutch... it's racist!

Discussion in 'Amsterdam' started by skip, Aug 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mafuman

mafuman Banned

kusjes,

see you in amsterdam soon

2. skip

skip Founder Administrator

I just discovered that "if it ain't dutch, it ain't much" is the name of a song from the Dutch band Daryll-Ann. Guess Velvet doesn't get out to the Melkweg enough. Perhaps someone can find & translate the lyrics.

Regardless of what the song means, if you do a search you'll find a LOT of dutch and english speaking ppl using the term freely.

3. mafuman

mafuman Banned

Database of slogans.
    Tourist board advertising slogans.

[​IMG]

Australia, national tourist board / Tourism Australia
    Advertising slogans:
    Australia. A different light
    We can't wait to say G'day

New Zealand, national tourist board / Tourism New Zealand
    Advertising slogan: 100% Pure New Zealand

Vietnam tourism promotion campaign
    Slogan: Vietnam. A Destination for the New Millennium

Hong Kong Tourism Board
    Slogans:
    There's no place like Hong Kong
    Hong Kong will take your breath away!

Bangladesh's tourist authority
    Ad slogan: Come to Bangladesh before the tourists

The Philippine Department of Tourism (DOT)
    Marketing slogan: Philippines. More than the usual

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT)
    Taglines:
    Thailand. Happiness on Earth
    Amazing Thailand - Experience Variety

Malaysia Tourism Promotion Board / Tourism Malaysia
    Advertising slogan: Malaysia. Truly Asia.

Queensland, Australia's state Tourist Board
    Taglines:
    Where Else But Queensland
    Beautiful one day, perfect the next

Manly Sydney Australia
    Slogan: Manly. Seven Miles from Sydney, a Thousand Miles from Care…

India, national tourist board
    Mottos:
    Incredible India
    India. Eternally Yours

Kerala Tourism, India's State tourist board
    Advertising slogan: Kerala. God's own country.

Tourism New South Wales, Australia
    Ad slogan: There's no place like it (campaign for Sydney & New South Wales)

The Indonesian Ministry of Culture and Tourism
    Advertising slogans:
    Indonesia. Ultimate in Diversity.
    My Indonesia - Just a Smile Away

Singapore Tourism Board
    Taglines:
    Uniquely Singapore.
    Live it up in Singapore!
    Surprising Singapore

Croatian National Tourist Board
    Ad slogan: Croatia. The Mediterranean as it once was

Scottish Tourist Board
    Advertising slogan: Live it. Visit Scotland

Lancashire and Blackpool Tourist Board
    Advertising slogan: Lancashire. It's a real pleasure.

The Austrian National Tourist Office Vienna
    Slogans:
    Austria. At last!
    Austria. You've arrived

Ireland tourist board / Tourism Ireland
    Advertising slogans:
    Ireland. The Island of Memories...
    Awaken To A Different World

The Greek Tourism Ministry /Greek National Tourism Organization
    Taglines:
    Live your myth in Greece
    A new point of view.
    (campaign for Athens, Attica)
    Greece. Beyond Words.

Wales Tourist Board
    Marketing slogan: Wales. Big Country

Cyprus Tourism Organisation
    Slogans:
    Cyprus. The Island for All Seasons
    Cyprus. A whole world on a single island

Spanish Tourist Board
    Slogans:
    Smile! You are in Spain!
    Spain Marks
    Spain. Everything Under the Sun

Andalucia, regional tourist board
    Motto: Andalucia. There's only one.

Switzerland Tourism, national marketing and sales organization
    Motto: Switzerland. Get natural

Luzern tourist board / Luzern Tourismus
    Advertising slogan: Luzern. Swiss made.

Latvia Tourist Board
    Slogans:
    Latvia. The Land that Sings.
    The Heartland of the Baltic

Andorra Department of Tourism
    Marketing slogan: Andorra. The Pyrenean Country.

Sicily, regional tourist board, Italy
    Advertising slogan: Sicilia. Everything else is in the shade

Estonian tourist board
    Marketing slogan: Estonia. Positively Transforming.

Iceland Tourist Board
    Slogan: Pure. Natural. Unspoiled. Iceland. The Way Life Should Be.

That last one makes you wonder if they aren't cloning people on Iceland

4. consolidated

consolidated Banned

I have never used this sentence, I have never heard anyone else say it and mean it either.. I think when people say things like this it's ment as a joke or indeed as a way to feel a little bit better.. Cause sometimes people need to give their ego a little bit of a boost in order not to slip into a depression.. It's very difficult to stay positive when you live in a world like this and in order to survive and not to slip into a huge depression you have to tell yourself little lies..
    But you can't generalise 'the dutch' by this phrase..

Like I said before this is a situation going on everywhere in the world, why pick out holland? Do you post posts like this in every travel forum? Every country tries to sell itself for tourism, and guess what in every country you'll find it ain't exactly like the brochure said!

You say Spain is so much better, I guess you've never been to bask country then or been injured in a ETA attack.. come on.. every country has it's negative points and every country has it's people who try to make it a little bit better.. When you say things like this it makes me angry cause you dismiss that.. I have seen a lot of countrys, I've been to thailand and cuba, I've seen a lot of eurpean countrys, talked to a lot of people.. And I wouldn't wanna live anywhere else then here.. Cause I am dutch, my friends and family are dutch and I owe it to them and myself to try to make this place a little bit better to live in..

5. skip

Look, a country that thinks it's leader is Harry Potter, doesn't leave me thinking that people are really engaged with the system.

And if I succeeded in getting a rise out of you who are NOT apathetic, then realize your country is giving these impressions to those who linger long enough, and redouble your efforts for change.

Yes, perhaps you & the Dutch in general do need to concern yourself a little more with what's happening in your own country instead of worrying about the rest of the world.

Is your country STILL in Iraq?
    Is your conscience clear over Srebrenica?
    Do you agree with Pim Fortuyn's policies?
    Do you think that Theo Van Gogh was racist?
    Are immigrants being discriminated against in Holland?

I could really open a can of worms here if I wanted, so don't get me started!

As Jason pointed out, so many naive tourists come to Holland expecting this tolerant paradise, and this forum is FOR THEM. You have plenty of Dutch forums to go where I'm sure you don't need to hear foreigners complaining about your country. Don't like it, leave, cause I sure ain't.

6. velvet

velvet Banned

If you do a googleseach you find a reference to that band, but I can't find anything else but that to indicated that there is a song with that title. Plus the band is mainly rock'n roll and I'm not really into that genre of music, nor do I listen to mainstream radio. If you provide the lyrics I'll translate'm for ya.

7. velvet

velvet Banned

Are you really this childish? Who started the war in Iraq? Who didn't give a shit about Srebrenica in the first place? Who has Bush as a president? Who's country doesn't allow gays to marry or provide decent sexual education at highschools? Don't make this in a mud throwing fight, cause if you do, I have ammunition enough about YOUR country. May I ask what exactly it is YOU are doing for your country? And what about the other boards here.. do you go to the UK forum and start giving them shit about the troubles over there? What about the Africa forum, the German forum, the French? Why single out Amsterdam? Because of the tourists who only come here for weed and hookers? So what? Let them have a nice holiday! I don't assume you left for Thailand to get involved in their home affairs either! Maybe if you settle down for a change somewhere and really start participating in the local politics I'll take you serious.

8. consolidated

consolidated Banned

The majority of the dutch people were opposed to the war in Iraq, The majority of the dutch people was against the euro aswell.. But unfortunatly we got this great system where political partys who had lost so much in the elctions still can get into the government.. The people did speak out against the government, the opposition got a lot more votes.. But because we have this system of coalition and d'66 sold out and did join vvd and cda, which was something they said wouldn't do we got stuck with harry potter for the second time.. But if you ask the people of holland now, I am sure the majority will kick JP balkenende out of office as soon as they can..

9. velvet

velvet Banned

Hell yeah. Don't forget that big protest September 24 in The Hague!

[​IMG]

:D

10. consolidated

consolidated Banned

I'll be there :)

11. skip

Mafuman, thanks for posting all those slogans.

The one about Queensland is an outright LIE! It's been raining cats & dogs here for months now & this is the dry season. So "Beautiful one day, perfect the next" is hardly accurate.

Of course all these slogans are hype. But to put down other places as "ain't much" instead of tooting your own horn with something great to say (as all those slogans do), actually puts your own country down! It means there ain't much to brag about holland so we'll just say we're better than others, and leave out the details (and truth perhaps). Just like American's saying America's the Greatest Country.

Of course we should probably wait for a translation of the song itself, because since it's a Dutch song, it's probably self-critical anyway.

But that's not the issue. The issue is the phrase has caught on independent of it's context, likely giving it an unintended meaning.

12. consolidated

consolidated Banned

They came up with the slogan cause it rhymes.. I don't think you should read that much into it.. I agree with velvet when she said it's like once you go black, you'll never go back.. It rhymes, sounds catchy so people remember it more easy

Can't find the lyrics, but my guess is it's in english, cause daryll-ann mostly sing in english..

13. skip

I'm glad you guys think you know me. I like the way you all avoid dealing with the issues and instead attack the messenger. Yeah, that really makes you look potent in your attempts to really change things. I participated in a number of protests against the war in Iraq when I was in Amsterdam, and I'm involved with Amnesty International actions, but of course my life is dedicated to these websites, and if you don't think that's worth something, then you are all welcome to leave at your earliest convenience.

And yes Velvet I have posted a LOT of things about Holland including info about your political parties, how consensus politics can be more democratic than a two party system such as the US has, and about the NGOs that operate in Holland. In fact I believe I once started a thread called the 100 best things about Holland.

So consider all my rants here to be a balancing act because I can't just paint a rosy picture, when it just ain't like that.

In fact if you want to know exactly all I have to say about holland, I suggest you do a search thru these forums and then go visit The Hip Guide to Amsterdam at:
    http://hiptravelguide.com/amsterdam

Nearly every article there was written by me. When you're done reading it ALL, you can come back here and criticize me some more, ok?

14. consolidated

consolidated Banned

talking about me? I know nothing about you, never claimed I did either..

15. velvet

velvet Banned

Ok.. and I mean.. that's welcome, but there is this HUGE thread of Jasons where the Dutchies here got a little pissed about because of the constant small insinuations and (also) the load of generalizations. Balancing is ok, fine.. needed.. but please please try to keep away from pointing fingers and generalizing.

16. mafuman

mafuman Banned

i think that comparing 'being in a protest' to 'doing social work' is like trying to compare 'jerking off' to 'fucking'

but that's just me.

17. skip

Those who know me thru the America Attacks forum (where I say such nice things about Bush & AmeriKKKa), are aware of my writing style. There is a great deal of power in generalizations. It shakes people up and makes them think. Generalizations are what the masses consume before going to war against a enemy, or before exterminating their own citizens.

Like I've NEVER ever heard Dutch people generalize about Moroccans... Get real ppl!
    That's how Pim Fortuyn's list came to power.

The problem with Germany in the 1930s was that there weren't enough OUTSIDERS pointing out what was happening to the average German, who bought into their leaders rhetoric since there few voicing alternative POV (that weren't wiped out).

I'd have to say that many of Velvet's generation are not politically engaged and instead are far more concerned with their careers and starting families than worrying about which direction their country is heading. That is not unusual, except that it's a change from the 60s & 70s when young people everywhere were feeling their political and social power and really went out of their way to change society.

BTW, Jason & I discussed this and have both decided that we are done with the criticism. Afterall it's not like we have a vendetta against the Dutch. You misconstrue constructive criticism and concern for something else, I'm not sure what. Perhaps it's your own insecurities that make you so defensive about things you already agree with?

18. consolidated

consolidated Banned

that doesn't make it right now, does it??

skip I have the feeling you're ignoring my posts, are my points not valid??

19. skip

Uh, what does "doing social work" mean, and what exactly is your point?

20. velvet

velvet Banned

again.. it's not whàt you two are saying but hòw you are saying it. It lacks respect and nuance which makes it very difficult to have a normal discussion. If you feel that starting a discussion is done by making blunt assumptions or generalizations then.. well.. then we differ in communicating style. If I want to know what someone else think (like when I talk to that guy from Togo) I ask him if he thinks my vision on the situation is correct and what his perspective is.. from there on you have two sets of arguments that you can talk about. Each his own I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.