If I didnt forget our dreams, how good novels would be written out of them?

Discussion in 'Dreams' started by Grandeur, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Grandeur

Grandeur Members

If we didnt forget our dreams, how good novels would be written out of them?

There is a we in the tittle, not I by the way.

Orison likes this.
  2. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

No. Most dreams would not make good novels.
    But they give ideas for little parts of novels maybe.

3. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Remembering K-Holes would make much more interesting novels.

Orison likes this.
  4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Yeah... If you like Stephen King.

5. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

I think Stephen King does use his dreams in his writing

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  6. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

AI is the future, because there never was any intelligent life around here, and reality without dreams is just somebody's nightmare.

7. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i've had a couple dreams that could be novels. and a million dreams that could be stream of consciousness nonsense.

8. themnax

themnax Senior Member

typical ordinary day in an alien world. not as exciting as it sounds. about as much interest as my little houses and little trains.
    i mean i might read it. but judging by how much interest my pictures get, i mean they're just about what it looks like in my dreams.
    if i could download with all the animation, and photo-realism, they'd still be mostly an ordinary day in an alien world.
    and even being alien, a lot of things are still recognizable. even if people look like other species or even no species you recognize,
    and the technologies took a different approach and evolution, you could still recognize which are people by how they act,
    and what most things do, by what they do. there's an aesthetic there that makes me happy,
    but for a novel, no, most people probably wouldn't to read mine, as an animation though, where it was all visualized for them,
    i don't know, i think the novelty would catch their interest at first, until they realized the whole rest of it was going to be the same kind of way.

if you've seen my gallery on f.a. and my little tiny snips of animation on youtube and vimeo, then you've basically seen what my dreams look like,
    even if i can never bring over the whole arch of everything that happens in one of them.

of course this is what i like about real science fiction, being ordinary and alien at the same time.

9. Visexual

Visexual Member

First of all, Stephen King is probably a coward. I think that cowards are the best writers of his kind of books. Only a coward could know how to be terrified.
    And, about dreams? I think we may retain, in our subconscience, some parts of our dreams and they are restored in our creative times when we write.

10. deleted

deleted Visitor

Steven King probably used Chloroform and recorded his trips with Audio and than wrote them down. Change my mind.

11. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

No denying, Stephen King is the master of modern horror

[​IMG]

12. wooleeheron

Stephen King is an alcoholic whose writing reflects where he grew up and spent his entire life.

13. hotwater

Well statistically speaking Mainers are some of the heaviest drinkers in the nation and annually top the list.

The only state that’s worse is New Hampshire. Never quite understood New Hampshire, its one of the most beautiful of the New England states full of Mountains, Rivers, Lakes, and Magnificent Wildlife,
    and yet everyone is either an alcoholic or a drug addict.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  14. wooleeheron

The plain and simple truth is, people were not meant to live that way and they can't keep it up forever. Their cultures will either adapt or be swept aside. While a bunch of alcoholics might work for establishing a presence and developing the land, they are not a sustainable culture and even the fishing is dying out.

15. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Would the people in your ideal world have nothing else to do except jump up and down in bed all day to pass the time, or would they be asexual too, ?????

Hang on a minute........i don't think your world needs any people.

16. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Stephen King best describes himself when two of his characters talk to him in the final two Dark Tower books. Yes, I think he would agree with the coward label.

17. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I wonder what novel could be written from my recurring dream.

I am in a strange yet familiar house and my pants are missing. I wait for a quiet moment to rush to my car in order to drive (god knows where) to find some pants, but now the car is missing. I then can't find the house where I started off from.
    As the day continues, everywhere I end up seems to vanish before I can find a pair of pants.
    Then I wake up.

Perhaps the funniest day was when I woke up, went to put my pants on and found that they were missing. I started thinking that I was still asleep.
    Jane had simply put them in the wash and their were plenty more pants in the wardrobe. LOL.

Driftrue likes this.
  18. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

The Story of the Man who Couldn't Find Any Pants.
    I mean, the pants have to be symbolic of something. It's going to have to be a film of metaphor.
    Maybe you need to try standing still in the dream. Instead of going off to find pants, you will them to come to you.
    The moral of the story is you have everything you're looking for, you don't need to drive to places that will just vanish before you can find it.

wilsjane likes this.
  19. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

you say he is the master of modern horror, then you post all his books from 40 years ago.

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  20. hotwater

40 years ago is considered modern horror.

To put it in perspective Dracula by Bram Stoker was written in 1897, Frankenstein by Mark Shelley was written in 1823, Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde in 1886, The Picture of Dorian Gray 1890, The Turn of the Screw 1898,
    The Murders in the Rue Morgue (1841) Who Goes There 1938 (adapted into the movie The Thing From Another World)