If freedom is simply being able to do what you want, are animals freer than humans?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by daniellar, Aug 21, 2019.

1. daniellar

daniellar Visitor

Comments?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2019
  2. lode

lode Banned

Definitely not domestic animals. You're not really free if you're just sleeping on someone's couch because they won't let you outside.

But a bear? A wild bear may be more free than me. But I think you're also looking for food all the time.

Being a bear is like working in the gig economy.

Eric! likes this.
  3. Animals are definitely more free. Humans are slaves to money.

Running Horse likes this.
  4. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

But an animal is tied to their instincts.

I don't know if an animal would be free to stave itself to death to avoid a worse fate, for example.

5. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Chickens be free! They will peck at their own reflection in a mirror, peck each other to death, and eat their own eggs. Freedom is not something you buy at Walmart or that is magically bestowed upon you by the good fairy.

daniellar likes this.
  6. mcme

mcme lurker

A gazelle that thinks it's free to go down to the water hole any time it wants is called the lion's dinner. Or lunch.

7. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

According to some scientists gree will is nothing more than an illusory notion overlaid on reaction to stimuli in both our environment and our own genetics man

Edit: We are the Gree. Bow before the might of our will!

8. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

freedom is a mindset.
    some animals are free, some people are free
    some are not. i don't think either humans or animals have the upper hand.
    i don't think it matters about captivity, either. you can be in prison for life and still be free.

9. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Freedom can only be given away, to yourself first, or its impossible.

Driftrue and daniellar like this.
  10. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

if you have it to give, you must be free

11. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose
    Nothin', don't mean nothin' hon' if it ain't free, no no

Driftrue, GLENGLEN and KL71 like this.
  12. KL71

KL71 Yanks since '81/Fins since '83 :)

Humans are actually animals, too.

As for freedom? If I had any, I'd be in Maine. I don't live in Connecticut by choice. :(

13. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

Bob Said this !

… Ah, my friends from the prison, they ask unto me
    "How good, how good does it feel to be free?"
    And I answer them most mysteriously
    "Are birds free from the chains of the skyway?"

guerillabedlam likes this.
  14. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

They don't commute in rush hour, they don't pay tax. They are kind of like homeless people. They do what they want but at the cost of constant food shortages and risk of death. Few wild animals are full and happy for long. There is always the next meal to find and it could be days away.

15. In this world and system of things. Absolute freedom is not possible.

16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I'd say animals are as free as they're consciously aware. But then again perhaps not, as animals (not all) have a very systematic way of living almost akin to a program. They eat, sleep, migrate and breed and return to the same area 6 months after. That is just them though, that's all they know so they could still be free in a sense.

Whereas, humans are very far from free. We have the conscious ability to seem free, the world is yours, go forth and do whatever. And in theory this holds ground. Not so much in reality though for most I do not think at all. I see young children pushed into school to learn how to adapt and how to work in this capitalist world we live in. You work because you need money and you need money just to pay off somewhere to sleep, to eat to live, pay off those loans... then in the small times, try and relish in this "freedom". A couple of hours of "freedom" and you're right back at it again. 8hr days. That travel time adds up I know. Only freedom you have there is belting out some songs from your windpipes. Then you have 8hrs to work if you got there on time and you'll hear about it if you didn't, because you're on the clock now... That's not freedom.

The sad thing is that's no better then those animals. Programmed to work to live. Sleep, travel, work, travel, eat, "freedom" and sleep.. and somebody else prospers from it.

Eric! and neonspectraltoast like this.
  17. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

and bitches be crazy?

18. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I think freedom is ultimately a state of mind, and it’s perceived different by everyone. Some folks are completely content living under what most of us would consider to be oppressive conditions. It’s what they’ve known all their lives, and anything outside of that, such as “freedom”, is not what they would consider normal.
    I think the same thing goes for house pets. There’s those that don’t mind cages, don’t want to go outside and are completely happy with being in the house and then there’s those that haul-ass out the door or constantly break off the leash and run down the street to see what they can get into. You call after them and they keep on doing what they’re doing, all excited and shit. That’s them...enjoying their moment of freedom.

19. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

That is so true there are millions of people out there who appear on the surface to be completely free, and yet are prisoners in their own mind.

Eric! likes this.