If another Big Bang happened now?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Paul Primac, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Paul Primac

Paul Primac Members

Hello everyone,

This has probably been asked before but I'm going to ask and hope it's not too bonehead a concept. So, if another Big Bang with equal force as our last one happened at a point which is currently our farthest observed object ever away from Earth, since light is the fastest thing observed in our universe, it would still take the light from the blast 13 billion years just to reach our planet and our eyeballs, yes? Or could there be some other never before observed "faster than the universal constant" force that would hit us before the light from the event? What do you all think?

My first post ever in these forums, so I hope it isn't too boring an idea.

mysticblu21 and porkstock41 like this.
  2. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

From my understanding, during the Big Bang, Space itself was expanding which is not bound by the same limits as light moving through space, so assuming our Universe stopped expanding and this other Big Bang Universe happened, it would probably take a lot less time for it's spacetime effects to reach us. The Big Bang is generally not viewed as a blast either.

3. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

What evidence do you have it hasn’t?

4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

What evidence is there to say that it had?

5. porkstock41

porkstock41 Every time across from me...not there!

Interesting question and interesting answer from GB...

Seems like we would have this 2nd universe’s space enter our universe’s with a great deal of force, which would probably be quite destructive.

What would the matter in that universe be made out of? Since it’s a different universe, it could be made of anti-matter and we get whatever violent reaction happens when the two meet.

There could be completely different laws of physics in the universe created by this 2nd Big Bang. So what would happen when the two (hypothetically) different types of particles with hypothetically different laws of physics collide?

I dunno

6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

What if the universe is just a big matrix computer and galaxies are just self replicating IC components on the motherboard.

[​IMG]

mysticblu21 likes this.
  7. Paul Primac

Paul Primac Members

Oh, that's interesting. I hadn't ever heard that the Big Bang wasn't generally thought of as a blast. If not a blast/explosion, what was it?

8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Well there's a few theories. The big explosion, the big implosion, the big rip or tear.

Personally I don't believe in any of them. I believe in white holes which are the opposite of black holes so instead of our universe being pulled through a black hole, I believe white holes are sucking through our universe from another universe or dimension.

9. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

She said "white holes suck"

10. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

11. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Inflating. More analogous to a balloon inflating rather than a bomb exploding.

Paul Primac likes this.
  12. its been to my understanding that the idea of the big bang is a theory. and believe more so that instead of a big bang that whatever it may be is more like a heartbeating

Paul Primac and (deleted member) like this.
  13. WhatJustHappened

WhatJustHappened Members

Yaaaah
    And brown holes blow......

Now what of pink holes?

14. leeds85

leeds85 Member

The universe is expanding faster than light, so light on the edge won't ever reach us.

Paul Primac and guerillabedlam like this.
  15. themnax

themnax Senior Member

as usual, most people are missing the scale of these things involved.
    if/when the universe were to begin collapsing in on itself, our entire species would very likely be vary vary long since extinct before any hint of it would be detectable here.
    and that collapse, the time it would take, if it started right now, would be as long or longer then the oldest thing in the universe, larger then a hydrogen nucleus, has yet existed, for it to collapse back to another singularity for it to be able to happen again.

to quote the hitchiker's guide that trys to put it in really really simple terms: "the universe is big, really really big. bigger then that. really really bigger then that."

Echtwelniet and Paul Primac like this.
  16. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

@Irminsul was the only one speculating about the fate of the universe here as far as I can tell but...

Unless there is something we, or astrophysicists rather, significantly misunderstand about the nature of the cosmos, the Big Crunch, or the idea of the universe collapsing in on itself has been ruled out. While it might have been considered an actual possibility at one point, It's basically been rendered as an alternative hypothetical scenario but does not reflect observations of the universe.

So called "Dark Energy" is the key player here and if it's constant then the prediction is that the universe will continually expand until heat fizzles out, often referred to as the Big Freeze. The other scenario is that Dark Energy continually gains influence in the cosmos at an increasing rate and eventually will tear all matter apart in the Universe, this is the aforementioned Big Rip.

However you are accurate in saying that the proposed death of the universe is projected to happen in a timespan that we cannot really fathom, it'll be well after our Sun dies. Theoretical physicist Brian Greene has probably painted the best mental image for me on this with metaphor. He said picture the age of the Universe as like an Elevator and there are 38 floors or so, where each floor goes up exponentially in time, the entire ~13.8 Billion Years of the Universe so far would put us at about Floor 10.

So in my own crude estimation, the Sun will probably only last until Floor 11. I believe the basis for Dark Energy was proposed by Einstein but I believe it's only been accepted in astrophysics for less than 30 years, so some of this is probably tentative.

Paul Primac likes this.
  17. Paul Primac

Paul Primac Members

Thanks all, very interesting ideas. I think I can stop worrying about this new big bang taking out my next tee time and start worrying about why my company hasn't sent out W2s yet. :D

themnax likes this.
  18. Moon Goddess

Moon Goddess Supporter HipForums Supporter

They squeeze, lol

19. Moon Goddess

Moon Goddess Supporter HipForums Supporter

Legally, you should have received them by Feb 15th.

20. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

You know what irks the shit out of me? Every damn science publication talks about the Big Bang as if it is fact. But it's just a theory. As far as an explanation for how and why the universe exists, it's about as useful as any religious explanation. Scientists think Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation is an image from the early bang. It's a pattern that is basically uniform in every direction we look from earth. So earth must be the center of the Big Bang universe!? Modern scientific understanding of our universe is basically equivalent to the age when men thought the earth was the center of our solar system. 'Dark energy', fuck me. I'm an idiot and I can tell this stuff is a damn insult to my mediocre intelligence.