Idolatry

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by thefutureawaits, Jan 9, 2017.

1. thefutureawaits

thefutureawaits Members

Seems a lot fall into this category. National flags, the cross, crucifix, saints, pop stars..
    The bible admonished idolatry. There need not be an intermediate between a human and God. The relationship is between the two and private.

i·dol·a·try

īˈdälətrē/
    noun
    worship of idols.
    synonyms: idolization, fetishization, fetishism, idol worship, adulation, adoration, reverence, veneration, glorification, lionization, hero-worshiping

2. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I was going to argue and say it was things outside of worship but your synonyms took care of all my arguments.

3. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i wish people would learn to keep it private

1 person likes this.
  4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Do flags and pop stars intermediate between a human and God?

5. thefutureawaits

thefutureawaits Members

No they don't. But people do worship them. Adore them and even pledge thier allegiance to them.

6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

So? Can they only do that with one thing? If they were worshipping another god I might get it. But if they are adorating something completely different it doesn't conflict or something. So it is not an issue. Of course some people can act a little crazy when they're a fan of something, but that's no different with people who worship only God. So yeah.

1 person likes this.
  7. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

Taking a firm stance against anything is political by definition and all western religions can be considered political simply due to the cultural being dualistic and never recognizing anything as completely neutral. The Amish won't even wear colorful clothing, but where you draw the line becomes debatable simply because they don't recognize anything as totally neutral.

1 person likes this.
  8. themnax

themnax Senior Member

the names of religious beliefs can be a kind of idolatry too. or their books for example. like when people call them "the will of god" or of gods or a god.
    even the idea that one belief knows it all and all others are completely wrong, can be itself a form of idolatry.
    at least that's certainly how it seems and looks to me.

oh i know why people want to pretend they live in a universe that isn't completely neutral,
    its so that can have something else to blame, instead of accepting their own personal responsibility.

just as it flatters the ego to imagine we live in a universe who's sole reason to have been created,
    is none other then our own species.

it doesn't take a lot of rocket science to open our eyes if we choose to,
    and observe that every existing thing,
    follows its own purpose,
    entirely independent of our own.

but we need not feel cold or shut out by this.
    we're still just as much a part as everything else.
    just no more so then less.

1 person likes this.
  9. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

oldest idols on earth are more than 30,000 years the venus of mittendorf, the lajja gauri

the sunflower head pregnant goddess

sri devi
    savitri

okay, goodnight

10. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

What about people who customize cars? Is it really necessary to have the rocker cover chrome plated?

11. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Hell yeah, if you got an awesome ride!!

12. MeatyMushroom

MeatyMushroom Juggle Tings Proppuh

Form of self hatred. Giving away your own sense of power in order to worship a myopic interpretation of what you think the subject represents. Inherently your own power anyway, keep it for yourself.

13. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I think the word "worship" gets thrown around too easily these days.

Let's not be ridiculous here. Most people don't worship pop stars. They might go to their concerts, or even flip through magazines full of candid photos captured by paparazzi. It might seem childish, trivial, or even borderline obsessive to people slugging it out in the trenches of the real world, but it's a far cry from "worship" which is, at the end of the day, a verb.

Gushing that Adele likes crepes too is a far cry from falling to one's knees and devoting their life to her. Come on, now.

14. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

The common dictionary merely contains popular definitions and your definition of worship is not among them. Personally, when I talk I prefer people to understand the words coming out of my mouth and consider attempting to redefine the dictionary a waste of time considering most people don't read them anyway.

15. Noserider

Where the fuck did I define "worship?"

16. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

17. Noserider

Yeah, okay.

How about this: Underline my definition of worship.

Thanks!

18. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

I've never come across a single dictionary that insists worship is merely about falling one's knees and devoting your life to them.

Worship
    noun
    1. reverent honor and homage paid to God or a sacred personage, or to any object regarded as sacred.
    2. formal or ceremonious rendering of such honor and homage:
    They attended worship this morning.
    3. adoring reverence or regard:
    excessive worship of business success.
    4. the object of adoring reverence or regard.
    5. (initial capital letter) British. a title of honor used in addressing or mentioning certain magistrates and others of high rank or station (usually preceded by Your, His, or Her).

Note that, according to Dictionary.com, worship can be used as a noun and is not merely a verb as you implied. Likewise, due to any common dictionary merely listing the definitions of words according to their popularity, using the word worship to describe simply "adoring reverence or regard" is a perfectly acceptable use in the English language. Of course, anyone is free to disagree with the dictionary and popular culture all they want, I do it all the time myself, but without at least agreeing that words can have multiple definitions and meanings you might as well be arguing with yourself because the majority of people will just go right on using the words however they damned well please.

1 person likes this.
  19. Noserider

Example =/= definition.

Besides. Why would you choose to be such a **** about something so trivial anyway? Like, what's up your ass?

20. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

Why would you care if I'm just a ****?