I would like to start a commune in LA - where to begin?

Discussion in 'Communal Living' started by CheeryBlossom, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

ya it is ghetto as fuck, i wish i lived in atlanta.
    :oops:
    no offense, Aeri, TNS...
    :hide:

[​IMG]

2. CheeryBlossom

CheeryBlossom Guest

Fellows and ladies, please! :p For me, this is not about LA vs anywhere else, unfortunately. I -have- to live in LA for my career. It is not my favorite place in the world either and I would choose several other cities over it if I could live anywhere, but alas! That is not the case for me. I do think there are many nice areas in LA that aren't the rich ones though. Depends on one's personal taste of course.

As far as starting a commune there, there are at least 5 right now and I think more are forming. What about Synchronicity? That seems like a successful commune in LA.

3. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Oh, don't mind us, just the usual family bickering :p

Well if you have to relocate to L.A. for career, then wouldn't the prospective location for your endeavor by determined by where in L.A. you have to work?

As Voyage has pointed out Los Angeles county is huge, but in my mind I was picturing you talking about Los Angeles, the city, which would really be a horrendous location for a commune type place, unless you have millions of dollars to make a "secluded oasis" in the city.
    It can be done, it just takes a few million $$. LOL.

Areas like Voyage posted are more likely what you want, but then again, you never have really stated exactly the type of commune you want, just maybe something for a bunch of women to live together. You even made comparison to dormitory living.
    So...
    Is it to be a rural. farmland self-subsisting arrangement, or more of a communal housing arrangement?

If it's communal housing, that could be done in the city or suburbs, farming not so much.

That also will determine where would be ideal.

and Welcome to the HF family...........
    and don't sit there, that's my spot!!:mad:

4. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

I've lived in Cali for over 40 years, 5 of them in the city of Paramount (shudders).
    The other 35 years has been less than a 30 mile drive from downtown L.A.

I think I just might have a slightly better idea what it's like. ;)

5. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

Ha! now theres the nOxiOus 0d0r we all know and... er... love?

[​IMG]

Right on :)
    I don't have any direct experience with Synch or any others, a know some community garden folk and what not, not really in that community.
    Stick around a bit, there's a lot of Cali folk around and bottom line, dont listen to any one a**h***, there's good and bad about everyplace, atlanta, la... just like there's good and bad peeps, cops included.
    Since you have to be there, L.A. can be groovy, it's what you make of it not just the other 8 million bags of flesh living there.

6. CheeryBlossom

CheeryBlossom Guest

Oh, yes, I'm sure it would. I wasn't really asking for those specifics yet...just kind of a general idea of where I might be able to find others who might be interested in helping get this off the ground, or if it's even possible/feasible. Just kind of looking for broad ideas at this point.

Heavens no, it doesn't have to be a secluded oasis, as nice as that sounds! :p

No, I wasn't thinking a farm/rural. Maybe a commune isn't even the best word for it? More like an "intentional living community"? Ideally, though it may be unrealistic, I would love to find a couple architecturally old-fashioned buildings (that's another problem with LA; hard to find the kind of architecture I like! :p) and have us stay in the rooms there and have some common areas (for eating and the like).

Why thank you for the welcome~! And don't worry, I shall find my own spot...here! :3

7. StpLSD25

StpLSD25 Senior Member

Meanwhile in L.A County Community College

[​IMG]

8. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

:rofl:

classic !

(hey, who told you what school i went to anyways?)

[​IMG]

9. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

So pretty much the same as a college dorm or frat house?

10. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

11. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

:confused:
    hey Voyage, you posting in the wrong thread or what?

12. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

I dunno, am I?

Axe STP :)

13. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

what about a co-op house? where you'd have like-minded people living together and they'd do dinners together...and have a garden and compost...
    I know of a house like that.
    Is that something along the lines of what you want to start? or do you want a commune on a big piece of land?

14. AlchemistGeorge

AlchemistGeorge Living Communally since 1995

Here is a successful intentional community in central LA - "reinventing how we live in the city", I've met some of them - nice folks.

http://laecovillage.org/

15. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

rite on bro, thx ! ive not heard of them, shall check em out :)

16. Vincent2012

Vincent2012 Perpetual Smiler

Congratulations, you've got a big penis you don't mind flailing about, I still don't feel you should taint someone's goals/dreams with your distaste for their area of choice.

EDIT::: (Came across this post through a facebook group, and didn't want to double post)

This woman is seeking bodies in Lucerne valley for what ever they would like to do---

(Facebook User: Cetandi Bolger) "We have 40 acres if anyone wants to experiment!.. Seriously! I'm not kidding! The owner of the prop has been organic gardening here for years and wants to have a permaculture community, but she (and i) are only two, and are disabled (we do what we can , and we have big dreams, but... It takes a few more able bodies!"

Lucerne valley is in the Mohave Desert, but permaculture can still happen there using Hugelkultur/wicking container gardens, either cob/adobe or even Yoruk-tents, and other means.... I feel it wouldn't be a bad place for you to start. Send her a message, see what happens.

17. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

:D

18. Vincent2012

Vincent2012 Perpetual Smiler

19. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

hey Vince, that post about that land... interesting.
    that area aint half bad, mojave makes it sound like hell but its up a little, not nearly as bad as the flats below. and good place to be if you like to be left alone. :2thumbsup:

20. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Yeah it is, but irrelevant to the OP considering she is not looking for an actual commune, but rather a group living/support situation without farming and all that.

Now the place that AlchemistGeorge (cool handle, cook up any goodies lately:sunny:) is more along the lines of what she is after without going to the full dormitory life kind of arrangement.

But it does also validate some of what I was saying, they only have as much land for use because a lot of it was donated and they got support funding and all that. The real estate that community "owns" is worth tens if not hundreds of millions of $$$$$.

That was one point I tried to make, it is extortionately expensive to live/work in L.A.
    So with out the support and real estate donations, I doubt that the LA_Ecovillage would have made it to the point it is today.

But I could be completely and totally wrong, wouldn't be the first time, certainly won't be the last. :mickey: