I would like to become a vegetarian..

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by ItchyFeet, Mar 12, 2014.

1. ItchyFeet

ItchyFeet Member

But it is not practical in being a partial gatherer.. I want to become a vegetarian but also eat sea food. I cannot live off vegies and fruits if all I guy from the grocery store is rice...

2. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

If you eat seafood, you aren't a vegetarian.

But if you want to eat a primarily vegetarian diet and also eat fish, I don't see why not? What question are you asking here?

3. Thekarthika

Thekarthika Member

I may be late on this one, but that's called a Pescetarian (sorry for mispelling), and there's a sticky for that.

4. Bunnielight

Bunnielight Member

I was a pescetarian for about 2 years. It wasn't too difficult, the only thing I missed was the occasional burger and chicken. You just have to be careful on your mercury intake. And my limited fatty protein made me kind of weak even when trying to keep up with my vitamins.

5. eleptavielle

eleptavielle Guest

I am vegetarian and freegan now for 9 months. It was very easy to make the switch. After a while you start to think all forms of meat for consumption are disgusting. We live in an era where we can choose good meals and be healthy under these modes of diet. It is very nice to feel clean energy coursing throughout my body. Exercise, 1400 or so calories a day, and lots of veggies and weed. I feel great. You should just try for a couple of weeks while reading about the vegetarian perspective.

6. loncho

loncho Member

Don't worry so much about finding a label so you can say "i'm a....." Just do what feels right to you.

In my case what turned me to stop eating animals had more to do with the fact that it felt right to me and gave some peace of mind, and it has never been about doing something just to align with a label.

7. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Depends on where and how you are gathering.
    And also why vegetarian/vegan appeals to you.

For several members, how we raise and kill livestock is a major reason to forego flesh.
    For others, fishing for sustenance makes more sense, even if they pass on it.

Both stances are far from the philosophy of animal rights that preclude any and all use of animals.

So, find where you stand and why and see what arises for you.

Where I'm living, it's pretty easy to be 90 percent plant eating on foraging, mostly as fruits and greens.
    I think with beans and rice from the store, as you mentioned for rice, you could be eating quite well.

8. Coleco

Coleco Member

Well, if all you can get from the grocery store is rice you might be in trouble... Sounds like your very limited in options for food. Your free to eat only rice if its that important to you. But rice isn't going to sustain you very well.
    Might want to be more specific as to what exactly you have available to you and what your goals are. Why is it that you can only get rice?

9. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

She's interested in foraging/gathering with supplementing with rice.

10. Dpm12

Dpm12 Member

My sister's a vegetarian and eats fish. I couldn't be a vegetarian. I like meat too much!

11. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

She's a pescetarian, not a vegetarian. Like me. Since 1975. I'm very healthy.

12. tommeem1

tommeem1 Members

Pescetarian is probably what you should look into, if you want to have a vegetarian diet, while still eating seafood. And if you want to consider yourself a vegetarian while eating seafood or anything else for that matter, that's up to you. It's your life, you're ideals, and your body... you decide.