I work for gas

Discussion in 'Globalization' started by DoggoD, May 10, 2004.

1. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

Well, I already stated what I drive in an earlier post, and it's HARDLY a large gas guzzler. lol

But that's the thing. Even the "rich yuppy" kids who drive those big things complain. And THAT'S what annoys me. Until you start driving something small and decent, don't bitch about gas prices.

Oh, this isn't aimed toward you, D. :) The people I'm talking about don't even realize their big vehicles are the main cause of their problems.

2. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

I blame Oreos. the trucks it takes to deliver those damn cookies drain so much gas from the pool................

3. Thethirdbenjamin

Thethirdbenjamin Member

Do you actually think its a bright idea to go on long road trips in a geo,
    it can be done allthought it vary well shouldn't

There are two diffrent cars one for work and point A-B

and another for long drives and road trips.

I'm assuming your the Point A- Point B kinda person

i mean if thats what your need is then surly any vechile will do, heck even a old 1970 pontiac whould do, LOL just as long as you check the emmisions and global warming.

If your the type that goes on long trips then by all means who will need something at least bigger then a geo.

I can understand why you very well think that way and frankly i don't rally blame you.

I'm just saying that when comes to long driving you will need something a bit larger and comfy.

If your just going around the corner then by all means it whould make no sense to have an SUV around.

So what i ment was you might need a SUV for long drives and you might enjoy it for the drives.

but obviously you don't take pleasure and enjoyment from driving, heck driving for you is probibly is more of something to take you to work, get stuck in traffic and no fun for you.

Oh forgot it,

and secondly are you aware that flaring at other users is a banning offense? you are flaring at me.

4. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

Same here! I have never seen so many people on bikes or walking in almost 25 years (my whole life) of living in my city as I have the last week or so. For the FIRST time I actually saw people WALKING to the store and such from several blocks away... I was amazed. Unfortunately I am going to have to do it too. I need the excercise anyway.

Also, my husband has "insider" information so to speak, he told me he found out that once the gas prices reach 2 dollars or more a gallon everywhere, it will never go back down again, most likely. WHAA!!!

I drive a Pontiac Grand Am. Great car... looks sporty but it's really a cheap running car. My husband drives a gas guzzler, a 1986 crown victoria, and only becuase we can't afford a cheaper one!

Edit: P.S., thethirdbenjamin, I don't think she was flaring YOU. She was referring to the stereotype... I agree there IS a lot of that stereotype that need to rethink their lifestyle before they complain. But that was not an inflammatory post directed at you, in my opinion

5. Thethirdbenjamin

Thethirdbenjamin Member

Its not so much that i feel offended by her its just i think something must be done, besides i'm not normally the type of person who wants people banned, quite the opposite i think it whould be great to have more users.

But anyway i guess no one elese likes driving here???
    I typically drive to toronto every couple of weeks or so
    as most of my family is there.

thats about a 5hr drive every weekend.

6. Thethirdbenjamin

Thethirdbenjamin Member

I don't know if you seen it vary ecnomicall, but its a point A-point B kinda car.
    its starting price for a 2004 is $13,000 in canada so i assume in america it must be much cheaper maybe even $10,000
    same thing with the gas full tank probible $15CAN-$20CAN

but i whouldn't expect to use it for anything elese but that.

no long driving, good car for around the corner kinda thing and work.

7. bellystar

bellystar Member

Ew! Me too! 89c/litre here right now. I'll be spending about $200/month on gas. Yuck. I drive a 2001 Hyundai Accent. It's good on gas, but I commute about 100km/day for work.

8. Pablo

Pablo Member

an suv is geared down for towing and hauling, if your going on a road trip and want to be comfy use a van, their really cheap to buy, very spacious, and much more fuel eficient than most suvs

9. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but if I was going to go on a long trip, I'd just rent a car.

But I don't travel long distances often, so I don't need to buy a big gas guzzler. I'd just rent one for my trip and return it when I was finished. It would cost me quite a bit upfront, but I'd save lots in the long run. No use in having a big car if you don't travel far distances too often.

I don't think one would need an Escalade in order to comfortably travel long distances. Like Pablo said, Minivans are excellent for travelling long distances all the while giving you a comfortable ride. And fuel efficient, indeed!

10. Pablo

Pablo Member

or you could...take a bus *gasp* oh no! public transport! no its awful! i dont like other people!

11. Brocktoon

Brocktoon Banned

I think public Transport is going to become a real consideration for a lot of people who are used to using cars.

Im no economist but Im having a hard time seeing the justification for this sudden dramatic increase?

Is there a huge shortage somewhere?

I bet they have all kinds of 'explanations' yet its really nothing more than simply testing the market to see how much it will bear. (bare?)

Personaly, I am fighting this the old fashioned way - I have X-amount budgeted for gas/petro and my purchases will not exceed it.

Trust me folks, if we (the marketplace) spend only the same amount per week (or even less) then you can bet there will suddenly be decreases in the price too.

Besides, 90% of us NEED to get out and walk more.

Jeepers - my grocery store is no more than a five minute walk and I have personally seen my neighbour start his truck, warm it up for 10 minutes... drive to the store and return with two small (easily totable) bags of groceries!

Why give away your health advantage and give OPEC another five bucks for no reason!?

12. Pablo

Pablo Member

exactly and with a bike its even easier to carry stuff, you get some excercis, you dont polute and it costs nothing to operate

13. Pointbreak

Pointbreak Banned

There is not conspiracy, or shortage. The problem is on the demand side. The economy is picking up in the US and Europe, and it is non-stop boomtown in China. So demand is way up. Supply is also up, but not enough. So prices rise.

14. Jozak

Jozak Member

I seriously doubt that a regular recruit in Iraq can have a family and afford to drive a Hummer, those things are very expensive.

15. Pablo

Pablo Member

Are you that blank, or are you just acting like it to get some sort of reaction?

16. Jozak

Jozak Member

Go screw yourself, I have military in the family, there is nothing blank about it. Privates don't make that much money to be able to afford a hummer, maybe they can, I don't know. I don't know her family, but most people period can't afford to get a hummer.

17. Pablo

Pablo Member

Ok i guess you really werent joking, he meant that this war was caused by oil, you see, the housewife with the humvee isnt said soldiers wife, its just that people are wasteful and that effects him, im not saying i agree with his statement, but i know what he meant. But thanks for making me laugh.

18. Digital Underpants

Digital Underpants Member

I am paying way too much for gasoline. It is true too many americans have giant cars it is some kind of status symbol to drive a big ass pick=up truck that looms over all the other cars on the road and then where are you going. To the office and back it not like you need to be able to tow a ton of office paper to work. I am sure tired of the americaans abuse of a limited source.I am gooing to try public transit or my bike from now on. I think we should give up gas and go to using a better feul like hemp. Now that would be something and it would be way cheaper.

19. Digital Underpants

Digital Underpants Member

I want to add that I live near a very wealthy neighborhood (am not rich myself) and i see a lot of the richies driving by in these atrocities called Hummers they are ugly and very expensive$100,000.00 and up. I hate to see soldiers fighting for these peoplewho don't care. These same people will also take a limo two blocks with one person in it. They can afford the gas we can't and it pisses me off that they waste it.

20. Dilapidated

Dilapidated Member

Ugh, I hear you, HappyHaHaGirl... people are so stupid, don't they realise how obnoxious and unneeded those gas-guzzling SUVs are?!