I work for gas

Discussion in 'Globalization' started by DoggoD, May 10, 2004.

1. DoggoD

DoggoD Member

I think there is some serious price gouging going on here. The price for gas is like $1.00 more than it should be. Is it getting real high everywhere???
    I will spend almost $150 a month on fuel to work and back at this price.

2. phillyrp314

phillyrp314 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Just heard on the radio this morning that OPEC announced they might step up production, which will (hopefully) result in cheaper prices. Prices have consistently been around the 2.00$ mark, which is unusually high for this area. I'm like you and will be spending about 150-200 dollars a month in gas.

3. Graham

Graham Member

americans are allready paying far to little for petrol, get over it. If it stays so low people will continue to use it like water. When i went to visit america they all had massive cars that used petrol like crap know what, in europe the cars are so much more eco friendly.

4. Megara

Megara Banned

cars are a much bigger part of life in america than in England. We need cheap gas :p anything over 1.50 per gallon is too high!

I hear there is 5 cent a gallon gas available...in venezuela

5. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

Yeah...my cousin is stuck fighting in Iraq so some ditzy lazy housewife can drive her kids to soccer practice in her Hummer....

6. Thethirdbenjamin

Thethirdbenjamin Member

its almost 90 cents a litter there where iam, i notice that normaly on sunday night 12:00am-1am thats the time when prices either rise or fall.

I herad that in the summer time we can expect the price to go up a lot higher then it is now, that greats for me try pumping up an suv with an intake of 4.0L

that like $40 bucks of gas a week.

If the prices go high enought i'm going to start using vegtable oil, i saw it on some science show this guy got some vegtable oil, purfied it at his house and then poured it into this car.

It worked, the only problem is after a while it might screw up your engine, i'm gonna see how much vegtable oil cost see if its actualy cheapper.

7. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

Thethirdbenjamin~read the book from the fryer to the fueltank. it gives step by step instructions on how to convert a diesel vehicle over to biodiesel or waste veg oil, and there's a recipe for biodiesel too, if you cant buy it where you are. i really want a diesel!

gas was over a dollar a liter last week.
    anyone believe in peak oil yet?

8. Thethirdbenjamin

Thethirdbenjamin Member

i was flipping channels and all i heard was "an alternative to fuel"
    all try to get the book asap, i mean today.

What do you think about using vegtable oil?? LoL the only emmesion smell is the smell of french fries.

9. Juiceman3000

Juiceman3000 Banned

Good Topic!

You should see my city.. people are selling cars and walking everywhere now. Its like we are going back to the past.

An 'insider' tells me that gasoline WILL get as high as 1.40 a litre within the next two years.
    Insane.

Honestly people, I am reconsidering everything i knew about how my life would go. I assumed I would always have a car. I have a truck and there is no way it goes on the road now. Gas and insurance + repairs are no longer possible due to wage decreases (not to mention benefit reductions , security etc)

I have been trying to find ways to 'beat the car' and just saw two E-bikes in my city this week.

Just make a google search for electric bike, e-bike or electric bicycle kits.

I think it will be hilarious and awesome if mass amounts of consumers effectively 'boycott' cars.

The rich wont give a shit and probably find a way to exploit this - but - that is already happening anyway as YOUR life is being sucked from you now anyway.
    Yep... Cars.. you work for your car now.

10. Thethirdbenjamin

Thethirdbenjamin Member

Litterly with the high cost of fuel, insurance, repairs and goverment paperwork
    why even own a car if it will consume most of your income.

I think i will buy a e bike.

11. DoggoD

DoggoD Member

I have 2 trucks. One gets 16 mpg and I drive it 50 miles a day, and the other one gets 8-10 and I never drive it. I will really need to get something else soon or I will go broke.

12. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

Benjamin, I was thinking that exact same thing last night! A good portion of my money goes to my car (gas, repairs, INSURANCE), and I'm a full-time college student, so it's not like I'm rollin' in dough. :mad: So I figure, shit, I might as well sell the car, use the money to get a bike, and have a nice bit of chunck change left over. A bike will be good for me AND the environment.

On another note, while gas prices are high, it bothers me that a lot of people here in America complain about gas prices, yet drive these huge Lincoln Navigators and Escalades all over the place. :rolleyes:

Not saying anyone in here is doing that. :) You guys are smarter than that! But a lot of people here in Albuquerque love to complain about the price of gas while filling up their big ass SUVs.

13. Pablo

Pablo Member

Were too wastefull of it, i see so many people around here driving big vehicles, lots of H2's with 1 or 2 people in them and no cargo, and if you ask a person who does that why they say, its safe, or i sometimes carry groceries or i have 3 kids, well, a midsize four door can handle all those things. And a lot of guys want to drive them to look manly, well look manly in a way that doesnt do harm, (though for some reason most things people thing are manly are harmful) If your a big brute man then go to work through the city trafic on a bicycle, that takes some balls.

If you live in a big city, dont camp, and dont run a buisness where you need to haul big loads, then you dont need it, and if you camp a van will do it more eficeintly and for less money, they go offroad just fine.

14. fractalated

fractalated Member

$1.50 a gallon???? cars that do 15mpg???

ok don;t take this personally anyone but this is what pisses a lot of people off about the us. your petrol is so ridiculously cheap compared to the rest of the goods in your economy that you don't think twice about burning such stupidly extravagant amounts of it, and is the main reason whi the us is the biggest per captia emitter of greenhouse gasses.

i mean for fuck's sake. we;ve just started to get loads of those big bmw - SUVs i think you call them - over here (uk) and they're like twice the size of a normal car - height anyway. i mean what's the point? you don't need to be driving all that extra weight around, needing bigger engines to do it and using more fuel. a car is meant to get you from a to b quicker and easier, so why need some fucking 4ton luxury cussion (sp?) steel monstrosity?

our petrol here is about 75p - £0.75 per litre - so £3.75 - about $6-7 per gallon!! you think we drive 3-4 litre engined cars that get 15mpg???

15. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

Yeah, I heard that the gas prices here are dirt cheap compared to the price that's being paid in the UK. Insane.

I agree with you 100%. Actually, that's pretty much what I was saying in my other post. People don't NEED Escalades and all that junk. I drive around in a shitty little Chevy Cavalier, and it gets me from point A to point B just fine. The only problem I have is being a full-time college student, I can't work enough hours at my job to keep paying for it. $2 for gas IS a lot for me, as it would be for any person in my situation. And it doesn't help that the cost of car insurance for me is through the roof just because of my age. [​IMG]

I'm seriously considering the bike. The only thing I'm afraid of is theft. There are a LOT of shady folks around here who wouldn't think twice about cutting through a bike lock. And it's a lot easier for someone to get away with stealing a bike than a car. So...[​IMG]

16. Dolphin~Rider

Dolphin~Rider Member

I used to live close enough to my job to not own a car. I rode my bike and had a little scooter for longer trips. Now, I work too far away and in the area of Florida where I live things are very spread out and the public transportation is
    lousy. It's very hard to live here without a car. So I got a Honda and I can't tell you what great cars they are. I get awesome mileage and they hardly emit any pollution at all. Good for my bank account and good for the environment at the same time.

17. Juiceman3000

Juiceman3000 Banned

I was trying to figure out how the gas companies would be able to do this without getting hurt by consumers selling cars and walking/biking etc.

Then I realised that the wealthy yuppies are not affected by the increases because they can easily afford it anyway.
    That IS WHY they drive gigantic 15mpg vehicles - Status.

So really, the only people this affects are the Poors. If Poors are forced to park their cars or sell them off - GOOD! Then the Poors now have less power and are more vulnerable and the Prudes have even MOre Status!

Try to beat the system by riding an E-Bike?
    The Prudes will suddenly come up with a lot of reasons to 'regulate' and 'tax' such vehicles.

Sorry Poors but you are Royally fucked.

...after all YOU dont pay the taxes anyway - the Rich Prudes are paying all the god-dam taxes anyway.

18. DoggoD

DoggoD Member

I would love to ride my bike to work, but 50 miles is more than I can handle 5 times a week.
    Its true how ridiculous it is over here with the size of vehicles. Ford makes these F-350's and stuff that are like the size of a comercial freight truck and they are everywhere! (I drive a Ranger 4x4, and it is still fairly big).
    I pay a total (gas, ins, loan) of $600-700 a month to drive my vehicle, which when I think about it is totally ridiculous. So, I am not helping the whole situation much, but I will start driving my girls Neon to work if the prices get worse than they are ($2.20 a gallon)

19. Thethirdbenjamin

Thethirdbenjamin Member

we complain how much gas costs and yet we go out and by gas guzzlers???

i'm curently driving a jeep, we'll actually its a family vechicle but i drive it the most, and with that said i end up paying for most of the gas.

My family is curently thinking of buying another vechcile and the things is i was suggesting the H3T, the hummer 3T is comming out sometime soon.
    it will cost the same price as a midsize SUV.

Its ironic because i whould like to drive one, but when i comes time to puting gas in it i will be complaining.

so i was just thinking its ironic in a sense how we complain about how much gas costs and yet we go out and by big gas guzzling monsters.

20. Pablo

Pablo Member

ok, you dont make any damn sence, if you notice its stupid why do you do it? why do you like driving a huge vehicle, my little 4 cylinder ranger can haul any one and anything i want and it gets well over twice as far per gallon as a humvey. And i ride a bike for short ranges, thats what i figure one does if they think its dumb to drive a big vehicle, not buying a H2 then complaining that it uses too much gas.