I wish i was around in the 60's

Discussion in 'Flashbacks' started by deadhead82, Apr 25, 2008.

1. oneblackcrowe

oneblackcrowe Member

The spirit of the 60s doesn't have to do (and shouldn't). While Viet Nam may be over there are still battles which must be fought and rights which need to be protected. Bruce Springsteen (one of my favorite singers) once said in a concert, "blind faith in anything will get you killed". We must always question our leaders and when we find them to be in the wrong, we must hold them accountable.

2. Electric Pilgrim

Electric Pilgrim Guest

Don't live in the past? Sorry, but I'm not much interested in the 2000's although the 10's look somewhat promising. The 60's to me were just an atmosphere that you can feel, the culture was so strong. I can tell ya man I wasn't around during the 60's or any other decade before the 90's, but I love the 60's and absolutely nothing can change that. I want my life to reflect the pilgrimage that my predecessors took so many times, and just the freeness of it all. Look, I'd love to change the world, and I'm gonna try, I want to seek revelations and learn new philosophies, and more about psychology and metaphysics. The thing is though is that it's not just that they did protests, and all that superficial stuff, it's that even if I do all that I wont ever beable to experience the 60's and the atmosphere of it will never come back in its entirety, because events that interconnected before the counterculture is what lead up to that happening, and the situation America was in will never be duplicated. I.e. The beatniks, forming of Rock & roll, first black singers, the oppression of the post-war era, and how delusional they were. It's all way to liberal and progressive for that to happen, and thats the reason why it will never happen again, and that's what depresses me... :(

3. Electric Pilgrim

Electric Pilgrim Guest

Let me say also, for people who are stuck in the 60's EVEN if they didn't experience it, for those people let me just say THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT! Do what makes you feel happy and you want to relive that experience, then go right a head! Don't let the "live in the now" discourage you, cuz you still live in the now and be connected with that decade.

The 60's are what drive me forward, even when I get into new things, I always know that it's deep down there, and is always on my mind.

4. bandett

bandett Member

60`s music, fun ,diverse,weird,bad,good, loud,soft,introspective, And..

5. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

If you really want to relive the sixties come by my house take a dose and I spray you down with a firehose. After that I can get some rednecks to beat the shit out of you and shave your head with a rusty razor for being a longhair while calling you ****** lover. After that I'll set you loose on Telegraph Ave. while you're peaking and let you pan handle for a night's rest. Or I'm close enough to SF to take you to Haight Ashbury then you can get professional harassment from the SFPD due to the sit lay law and buy some totally bunk over priced weed off some gutterpunk.

Long story short don't romanticise the past. There was just as much stuff that sucked then as there is now. In a lot of ways it was more dangerous then because they were just getting to know how much acid was too much acid. The rednecks were out in greater force. And thanks to Charles Manson the police were even tougher on long hairs. In the peace movement you had a choice between speaking out against the war or taking drugs because the police that were infiltrating the peace movement were rolling on the dopers because you can't be arrested for speaking out against the war but you can for dope. Usually it was the under cover agent that was trying to get you high with them. Oh and speaking of the war there was still the draft then. Boy it's enough to make someone who wasn't there nostalgic. (Funny I wasn't there either but have dealt with enough shell shocked veterans, peace workers, acid casualties, and general long hairs to be a bit jaded about it). Be thankful to be who you are where you are and when you are. But on a lighter note:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMN7fGZW_BY"]YouTube - Charlie Daniels "Uneasy Rider"

I still love that song. And for an encore:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs4y5si8DGs&feature=related"]YouTube - Charlie Daniels - Late 70's - Long Haired Country Boy

This is like hippie, redneck, and punk rolled into one lit then passed.

Peace Out,
    Rev J

6. Psychedelic.Flower

Psychedelic.Flower Member

i am literally obsessed with the 60's.

i love the culture; music, style, values ... EVERYTHING!

I was born in the wrong era :(
    I just wanna be free and live in a VW Microbus and go to woodstock

...The 1960s seem amazing.
    it was just an entire entity of pure goodness filled with peace happiness and good vibes.

Also racial tension depleted, which still rings true today, many years later.

But im just happy that the 60s are still alive, in some form. People like us help keep it around, like a colorful aura. At least it was so epic that people still vividly remember it and share their insightful experiences so that they can pass it on to our generation, so we can take that piece of history and morph it into our modern day life.

I'm happy it happened, and that i can take joy in it and make it my prominent passion.

i have countess books about the 60s, and i have read anything and everything i can about that era as well as numerous books about the beatles.

LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. spencerosgood

spencerosgood Member

Hey, the 60's vibe is strong man and im feelin' it. make love, not war

8. HippyJoel93

HippyJoel93 Member

shit dude Ill admit that I am obsessed with the 60's, not a day goes past that I don't wish for time machine to take me back to 1964 so that I do it all. It warms my heart up just thinking about.

'Time spent wishing is time wasted.' I dont particulary agree with this but shit dude we say how we want to be like our fathers of the sixties. They sure as fuck didn't sit inside on computers all day dreaming about the 20's, they got out there and started and counter culture. Creating the greatest decade ever.

There are so many young people digging the whole hippie experience right now! Now is the time man organise some protests. Stop the fucking war for oil and try to bring some honesty back to the world.

9. Quadratic

Quadratic Member

I find myself fascinated with many eras and all for various reasons, but yes I do love the 60's. I think there are certain periods of time where a 'Renaissance' seems to flourish. Art and creativity are heightened, and the people are more cohesive. This was one of those times.

10. KeithBC

KeithBC Member

I have a soft spot in my heart for the sixties. All the good influences in my life came from my appreciation of those times and from my effort to discover why they resonated so strongly with me.

But that's all you can do. You can't go back in time, you can only go forward, whether you want to or not. Yet, you don't want to ignore the call of those times either, because there was something wholesome there. So, you have to find out what the wholesome stuff was for you and then run with it.

There's no point in asking us old farts what it was for us. You'll get as many answers as there are people. All we can do is tell you how it was for us, by way of example. It is too easy to say, "Those were magical times." Of course, they were, but what is it that made them magical for you?

What you have to do is find out for yourself what it is from the sixties that is calling to you. Was it the artistic expressions, the music, the art, the new media like light shows? Was it political expression? Sociological experimentation? A new religious sensibility? A sense of moral purpose? Those are all just examples; there are no doubt many more ways in which the sixties could inspire a person. So what is it that inspires you?

Once you discover it, make it happen in your life. If there is one thread that unites all those sources of inspiration it is making it happen.

11. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka