I wish i was around in the 60's

Discussion in 'Flashbacks' started by deadhead82, Apr 25, 2008.

1. zombie.

zombie. Member

I think one of the things I think should be happening like it was back then is what was going on in haight ashbury. Everyone was friendly and loved everyone. You could meet people and end up spending days with them. Or at least thats what I've read.
    You cant do that anymore. We need more love in the world :)

Also...thanks to you guys who mentioned MGMT I just checked them out and it looks like I'll be adding an album to my "never-ending trail of cds" next paycheck...damnit.

2. thinkfloyd07

thinkfloyd07 Senior Member

well there won't with that attitude, i think the new age of hippies could be even more powerful than the great ones in the 60's after all political views are getting stronger and stronger everyday and with bush out of office, we might be able to get some things done if we work together :cheers2:

3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

There was no more love in the world back then than now, it was just hip to show it. Yeah, that seems likeable alright. But I see people like that now as well.
    You can encounter great people still today and spend day with them, of course we're 50 years further of murdered hitchhikers and stuff so things are a bit less easy :D, but really, people aren't less fun or anything. If you think everybody got their groove on back then you're dreaming again.

4. zombie.

zombie. Member

Yea theres the hitchhikers urders and then theres also a lot less nice people now in average society. Like I was walking through the living room a couple of weeks ago and heard the host on that tv show called "what would you do" or something like that. Anyway, they had a guy dressed like a bum walking down the street with a fake bottle of rum and had him collapse to see if anyone would help him. It took forever for someone to stop. And you know who stopped? It was a poor woman walking on a cane. She picked up his bottle and put it in the trash can and went back over to him and stood there asking people if they could call an ambulance and everyone just alked by ignoring her. She stood beside him for over 30 minutes asking people to help, and finally a lady did it. But the lady had this hassaled look on her face like the only reason she was doing it was because if she didnt, people would think bad of her. There was only 1 good person on a crowded street in a big city willing to be a good person.

But check this out, before they had the guy dressed like a bum fall, they had a woman dressed in casual clothes fall and it didnt take any time for help. That just goes to show that the way you dress determines whether or not you'll live if something like that happens, it your good enough for someone to take time out of their day to simply call for help. Everyone of those people had cell phones and not one of them gave a damn about him because he was of lower social class.

There aren't many good people at all when you compare them to the bad.

5. Asmodean

Well, that doesn't suprise me at all. Not because there's less love in the world today, but because it's very human. What are you trying to say with that story? It could have happened in the sixties as well. This is something of all times.

6. MissKers

MissKers Member

im not going to them.. i also prefer the 15 euro ones :)
    well but its hard to find those ones..who really give you the feeling that they love what they're doing. when you really can feel the music in the air.. i know that there still are bands like that, but its not that easy to find them..;)
    like i already mentioned, there are a few good danish bands.. "the setting son" for example.
    they are excactly what i meant with "feeling the music in the air".

oh well.. im still thinking i was born way too late haha
    if you just look at my generation. the youth cultures for example.. back then they really wanted to change something, wanted to create a better world.
    these days the most of them dont really care..

7. zombie.

zombie. Member

Well keep in mind that I was talking about Haight Ashbury in the 60s. And you're right it could've happened in the 60s but from what I've read, it didn't happen around there. But you see...there isn't a huge hippie culture anywhere anymore like then, so now all thats left is "the average person" and from me telling you that story, it shows whats left.

But on to what youre saying, it sounds like you're trying to say the 60s is no different from the present. If thats not what youre saying then what do you think has changed?

8. Revolver1966

Revolver1966 Member

anytime, theyve got that sixties psychedelic look and sound. great band, good tunes to trip to or listen to sober.

9. dollydagger

dollydagger Needle to the Groove

I admire your optimism....but, as a historian, I look upon it at a different angle...there was an atmosphere, a vibe if you will, about the 60s. No I wasnt there myself, but I have spoken to a lot of people who were there, and they all say the same thing: there was something. It was in the air, like electricity. I have always been a nostalgic person, and I miss that I missed that era. But, what can I do? A lot of whats going on nowadays is attributed to the 60s, and a lot of whats going on is an extention of what was started back then. But what I (and I think a lot of others ) miss is the atmosphere of KNOWING that change was happening. A new aesthetic, a new attitude, a new awareness. To this day, we are still riding that wave that was started 40 some odd years ago.

I am excited about carrying on what began then. But its the beginning that I wish I saw......

10. dollydagger

can I also just add something?? A lot of hippies back then were unhappy with their growing popularity and notoriety. Just listen to this Mothers of Invention tune....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddZNSAYX8pk

11. StayuYona

StayuYona Member

I still don't see the purpose of talking about time and other such arbitrary designations. They really are just blanket excuses for why we don't have to act on our principles. I always hear shit like "Even if we protest this or that it's just gonna be disregarded anyway." That's totally a losing attitude; the only reason the "now" is different from the "then" is that people now are moping around because they weren't born in a certain year. The movement was about trancendence and if you are still hung up on the fact that it isn't 1967 anymore then you missed the whole damn point of it all. There are changes that need to be made regardless of whether or not its currently in vogue.

12. Asmodean

Couldn't agree more with your post, StayuYona. Although I think protesting is a little less effective than it could be in the sixties people still should do it if it calls for it.

The sixties are very different from the present due to fashion, trends, cultural differences, technology, not in the least 50 years of history more, etc. etc.. Almost everything changes, except the people itself.

13. Asmodean

I seriously consider that wave started more like 400 years ago. Or 300 to be more exactly.

14. dollydagger

with the Enlightenment?? Perhaps....

15. Asmodean

Yeps, indeed with what we call the enlightenment. It's called that for a reason :cheers2:

16. MissKers

MissKers Member

excactly what i was trying to say :) there was something

17. livin420

livin420 Member

yeah im with 6reaper9 along with many other people in this thread. i spread the word to the best of my abilities among all who will listen, but not nearly enough of those i speak to are prepared to be shot down for what they belive in - thats what changed from the 60's i think. not many people that i know realise that it is not enough simply to disagree with the evils going on in this life - we need action, and to stand up and make our opinions heard. even though i have never experienced it, i greatly miss the sence of unity and universal love i see in footage, stories, books ect from that corner of history.mabie somday my generation will get its act together and i know i sure as hell wont be a mere observer.

whole lotta love for you all

18. livin420

livin420 Member

by the way folks - is there a way to change your age - i put it in wrong by accident

peace all round

19. Matt12354

Matt12354 Member

its all about the social situation. the hippies arose because of opposing opinions on the war, awareness of our negative impact on the environment, and growing demand for equality, among other things. right now we have a war going on that many oppose, the environment is becoming an important issue, people are fighting for more equality, because of the economic recession, anti consumeristic attitudes are reemerging. all you gotta do is look at the world around you and you will see the bus is back, all you gotta do is step on for the ride

20. bekyboo52

bekyboo52 52~unknown~52

yeah i wanted to be born in 1945 for the longest time... just think, id be old enough to enjoy the 60s and 70s