i wish i could meditate!

Discussion in 'Yoga and Meditation' started by peacelovebarefeet, Jan 1, 2005.

1. peacelovebarefeet

peacelovebarefeet BuRniN oNe...

i wish i could! i really do... i would LOVE to be less stressed and more centered.. but its like.. i can't RELAX enough to be completely free! whats my problem!?

2. Two Spirits Dancing

Two Spirits Dancing Member

I know what you mean. I am always tense, my muscles are always tight and I can never seem to loosen up, relax and let my mind go. My mind never clears. There is always something going on in my head, rather I can make it out or what-not. I cannot stand it. But when trying to meditate, it always seems to work somehow. I really try. When I meditate, hours go by and it only seems like minutes. It's amazing really. It really does take away a lot of stress and it gives you more energy. I don't know how, or why, it just does. :) I really should start meditating again.

Peace and love
    Tiff Lennon

3. yogi for peace

yogi for peace Member

You are probably holding emotionally charged energy in your muscles as well. If you work on cleaning this up, your mind will have more space to be calm.

Try to go to a Hatha Yoga class and then meditate right after.

Remember to keep focus on your breath as you meditate.

listen to it go in and out
    feel it go in and out
    visualize it go in and out

seek someone to share some knowledge in person with you, as it may benefit you more then quick advice on the forums. Good luck to you, keep at it!!! just keep trying and keep seeking more information and you will get it. I promise.

4. smellyhairyhippie

smellyhairyhippie Member

i tried focussing on my breath and i could never get, what worked for me was putting on calm soothing music, like i usually meditate to Tales from Topographic Oceans by Yes, oh and try keep where you are dark, it helps you relax, i just leave my lava lamp on, get in a comfortable postition, i usually just sit on my bed cross legged and i go

5. positive vibes

positive vibes Member

yeah man what ever works for you that is the key. my advice would be persistence, meditation is about maturity, you will mature through practice of meditation. If you regularly practice daily, you will slowly evolve. Focusing is the key, breath, dot on thw wall whatever maintain a focus, let everything else flow away. If thoughts come, let them go, state those thoughts, then let them pass and continue with you focusing, hope that helps. Conor.

6. Sebbi

Sebbi Senior Member

Just release the internal grip on yourself.

Just let your energy go where it wants.

Thing if you try to relax, there is no way you will relax. Trying to defeats the entire point because it causes tension.

One thing that's important is you know what you can or can't do when it comes to meditation. It'll mean that you will have to limit your range a lot, but you'll get results. Just set you limits e.g. I can't do a full lotus, I can't do visualisation, I can't sit still for more than 2 minutes.

Time limits are limits, it's to stop you don't something too long. Don't stick to them, if a technique says "Do this for 20 minutes" ignore it unless you'd be happy to do it for 1 hour.

I hope this helps.

Sebbi

7. eccofarmer

eccofarmer Member

NAMASTE

Just start doing it for short periods.After time you will get better.

In Love and Light

Eccofarmer

8. Archemetis

Archemetis Senior Member

every expert was once a beginner

9. Timmaniac

Timmaniac Member

try to realize the breath coming in your lungs feel it feed your body concentrate on this and you're allready meditating!

10. peacelovebarefeet

peacelovebarefeet BuRniN oNe...

thanks!!!

wow!!

the music thing REALLY worked for me, i just left on my little airfreshnener light thingy.. and it was grrrrrrreat!!!!

what is NAMASTE?

11. Timmaniac

Timmaniac Member

isn't that indian for hello?

12. Archemetis

Archemetis Senior Member

namaste basically means, i recognize your spirit as beautiful...or somthing along those lines.

13. yogi for peace

yogi for peace Member

~NAMASTE~

A Sanskrit word that takes a lot of english words to convey the essence of its meaning. Loosley translated:

It's kind of traditional to say Namaste (pronounced Nah Mah Stay) after a Hatha Yoga class as a kind of a thank you for sharing this time of inner work with me.

14. Timmaniac

Timmaniac Member

thanks for the info

15. NeoPascal

NeoPascal Member

ok here's my 2cents.
    do you smoke weed?
    cuz i had the same problem until i started smoking now i can meditate like its nothing.
    i'm not saying smoke weed and then try it, but it is cool. and i'm not saying the only way to meditate is by smoking. i think of it more like an "intro to meditation course". maybe i'm wierd, but it seemed to get a lot easier to do after i started smoking.

16. White Feather

White Feather Senior Member

I usually like working with water. Just sit by the side of a flowing river and watch a wave go downstream without moving your head. Move your eyeballs very little. After awhile your whole peripheral vision should open up as you try to see more of the river without moving your eyes.

Look at your breathing. You should find that it is really slow. Now look at your mind. You may find that it is not thinking. If it is thinking you should see it thinking. Look back at the river - it has stopped. You are now between breaths.

See, meditating isn't that hard.

So, next time you see flowing water - try to see more and more of it in one look. If you're standing up you will probably get dizzy.