i wish i could draw

Discussion in 'Art' started by vinceneilsgirl, Jan 4, 2005.

1. vinceneilsgirl

vinceneilsgirl Member

My fiance can draw awesome stuff and I suck because I can't draw. I'm annoyed and sad.

2. TheSkaEffect

TheSkaEffect Member

I suffer from the same problem... I mean, I see these completely awesome, mindblowing things in my head, but when I try to draw them down on paper they look nothing like i planned for :(

3. shinta

shinta Member

everybody can draw,maybe you're trying another style than your own,try to create an own style

4. Kabbalist

Kabbalist Member

How do you know what style fits me best? I really don't think I can be an artist, but I think you're right if you mean someone has just to try. I hope it works, I'll let you know if there's some Picasso or Van Gogh inside me :)

5. goldmund

goldmund Member

Drawing isn't a talent, it's a skill. Most of the time people can't draw, it's because they are drawing symbols instead of what is actually there. For example, when most people start to draw a face, they draw an oval for the head, two smaller ovals for the eyes, and so on, instead of actually looking at what you are drawing and trying to reproduce it line for line.

6. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

exactly my problem, unless I take hours and hours my drawings look like a two year olds'. I got really great ideas for comics but I can't draw and I can't really describe exactly what I see in my head.

7. goldmund

goldmund Member

You should learn how to draw from sight first. Drawing from your head is very very difficult. Next move to models, toy figures, etc. set up in diferent ways as the basis for your cartoons. These are basically just character studies. The more you draw, the more you'll understand movement, form, proportions, tint, hue, etc.

8. goldmund

goldmund Member

I read about an excellent technique to learn to draw from your head. Place a model of something you want to draw in a seperate room from the one you are drawing in. Study the model intensely for a few minutes, recording as much detail from the perspective you are drawing as possible. Sit down with your paper and draw with a pencil lightly. Go back to the room and study the model. Sit back down, fill in more detail, correct errors, etc.

This technique will train you to draw from memory, and also from the images you see in your mind!

Also, if you really want to draw, take a class. It was one of the best classes I took in college. Really taught me how to SEE and appreciate the world around me.

Good luck!

9. arlia

arlia Members

every1 has the ability of bein artistic,art isnt just about creating an image thats practicly photographic,but exploring your won techniques and the way you use materials.instead of planing something out jsut explore the materials and have fun.

10. goldmund

goldmund Member

good point arlia! just have fun. If you think your drawings look childish, checkout Miro. there is no way to create a picture perfect drawing/painting w/out the use of optical aids, besides whats the point? a camera can do that already. still it is a good way to understand form, light, and to really see the world in which we live. plus the techniques are so easy for anyone to master, and it makes budding artists feel good to produce something that looks "good".

11. arlia

arlia Members

thats one thing i found hard a few years back,there are all thse really good artists around,can draw realy detailed,but whats important is that you find your own stlye and way of doing things,its only been in the last 2 years that i have really started discovering different textures and gesteral ways of painting and drawing.........and i have so much fun doin it,and whilst doing it i found a very personal expresive stlye through experimenting and alowing myself everything explore and have no bounderies.

12. NEMISIS

NEMISIS GONE

Speaking from an artist/designer point of view, it always bothers me when people say they can't draw. Everybody can put a pencil to paper and knock something out. Just find your own style, that's all there is too it.

13. goldmund

goldmund Member

I don't know, i think its like playing an instrument. You tell people to have fun all they want, but if they don't know how to play a chord, they won't have fun and the music will sound terrible. Once you know how to play, then you can lose the boundries and explore new stratospheric heights.
    I obviously don't think that detail makes a great work of art either (i.e. Monet, Van Gough), nor does any particular attention to perpective and color (el Greco). Maybe y'all are right, you just need to stick with your own style, have fun, and through time you'll get better.