I was talking to some people about the bible

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by MyWORDiTtruth, Sep 27, 2013.

1. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

Seems that leaves more room to fill it out. Foggy representations lead to efforts for clarity.
    I don't think your doubt contributes significantly to the question of legitimacy and serves to add in fact another post to that which is being deemed questionable.

2. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

quantity of posts alone does not a legitimate thread make, in my opinion.

3. MamaAfrica

MamaAfrica Banned

Burning pages from the Bible.
    Don't give a fuck about Jesus.
    I'm too busy getting high.

4. thedope

That it has captured your attention to the extent it has, does lend legitimacy to a thread in random thoughts or mind trips. I'm not into judging the worthiness of someones effort.

5. thedope

Trying to stay warm?

6. TopNotchStoner

TopNotchStoner Georgia Homegrown

The homo genus is estimated to be just under 2.5 million years-old, while the earliest evidence of primates dates back over 65 million years, and evidence shows that Earth is somewhere between 4 billion and 5 billion years-old and that the universe is at least 13-14 billion years-old, if not older. So yes.........science and evolution directly contradict/disprove the biblical account of creation. This is indisputable, no matter how mystical and enlightened you try to make yourself sound in your posts.

Humans are nothing more than a species of great apes flying through space on a giant rock. We're not special.

7. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

The internet is a kind of God.Maybe it is replacing God as an answerer of all questions.Except the "What is the meaning of life" question...The internet is crap at answering that one.

8. TopNotchStoner

And I'd just like to add this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D05ej8u-gU"]The Most Astounding Fact - Neil deGrasse Tyson - YouTube

9. thedope

Last things first I agree that humans are not special however we are endowed with a mind that can consider the world abstractly and therefor we can imagine things. Imagination is not enough to make things happen as it must be articulated into deed to manifest. We are at the top of the food chain because we can adapt to any clime on the planet and take advantage of any food.

In your explanation of why you think I am vain you are using time measurements that did not exist in antiquity. How long is a day of creation? Would that day have any similarity to a revolution of the earth in this solar system? You are making assumptions about what you read without being circumspect of phenomena in general and giving the account that those assumptions are insufficient and I agree, they are insufficient.

If you think I sound mystical and enlightened that is a matter of your own taste and not of my intent. You thus far have considered these things only superficially.

10. thedope

Sorry tns because of my intermittent internet wireless connection I have to wait a few minutes even for printed pages to load and I cannot watch youtube videos with anything like reason. Could you expound on your sentiments in your own words?

11. TopNotchStoner

Putting all of the other shit aside, and acknowledging that evolution has been proven.........if the biblical account of creation were true, Adam and Eve would've been microscopic organisms. lol It just doesn't fit.

You're right about the human mind and our ability/tendency to imagine things, which is why humans have imagined and believed in supernatural bullshit since the beginning of our existence. Most people are terrified of not having all of the answers, and religion alleviates that fear.

12. thedope

I agree it doesn't fit on those terms and since those terms are not understandable then those might not have been the terms meant. Understand we are regarding material recorded and preserved in ancient vernacular and it sounds weird to the modern ear. First order in understanding these thoughts is to honor them as legitimate thought. The bible is a repository for symbols representing human perspectives on life and taken in that vain are recognizable for what they are and become illuminating of our common and sometimes less than brilliant experience.
    It has been my experience that the faithful can be some of the most suspicious around. Ritual gives organization to a shattered mind and that is it's comfort but we find true fulfillment through actualization not ritual. That is why the unpleasant effects or hypocrisy you see around the religious. A good teachers goal is to be no longer needed.

13. TopNotchStoner

I actually appreciate some of the symbolism in the bible, but it's not supposed to be viewed as symbolism and human perspective. It is the supposed "word of god", which, with all of it's flaws and contradictions, is just fuckin ridiculous. Anyone who possesses even the smallest amount of logic and rational thought should be able to see that's it's complete bullshit.

14. TopNotchStoner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vm0y93h2bw"]Greydon Square - Final Notes - YouTube

15. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

I have a question for TNS and others here who say "it's all bullshit";

Can you then please explain to me the different healings I have personally witnessed, the very specific personal prophecies that I was told that have come to pass in my life, the "speaking in tongues" that I have personally experienced for 30+ years and still continue to this day, or can you explain to me any other number of "supernatural" things I have witnessed and experienced that are straight out of the Book of Acts.

Seriously, if it's all bullshit and myth, can someone please explain to me what I have seen and experienced over the last few decades?

You guys who are so adamant about the Bible or Christianity being all bullshit always leave out the most and only important part, it's a faith based on personal experience, not dogma and doctrine.
    If you have not had this experience, than understanding the beliefs or teachings is akin to a virgin trying to explain what intercourse feels like.
    That is frankly the main reason I do not often engage in discussions about it here.
    You think you know what you're talking about, but in truth, you haven't got a clue.

It's an experiential based religion, not rules and rituals.
    If you can not understand the difference then you really have no place voicing an ill-informed opinion so vehemently.

16. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

You've known me for a number of years now TNS, do you think I lack logic and rational thought?

17. thedope

There are people who entertain that belief and there are people who recognize and appreciate
    the symbolism of the bible and I appreciate more the latter. One of the things I suggest against is looking for conformity instead of understanding. If there is a reality to be comprehended we would find ourselves in accord upon beholding it.

18. TopNotchStoner

I definitely don't think you lack logic and rational though, and I have the utmost respect for you. You know that. But notice I said "anyone who possesses even the smallest amount of logic and rational thought should be able to see that's it's complete bullshit". That being said, I have no clue about your personal experiences and I can only take your word for it. Even if the things you say you've experienced are true, which I'm not trying to dispute, it neither proves nor disproves anything.
    I do look for understanding, and I definitely am NOT a confomist. lol I live in the heart of the bible belt, and I'm literally the only atheist I know IRL. The only reality I need to understand is MY reality, and, in MY reality, MY beliefs will always be based on logic and reason, as opposed to word-of-mouth experiences and mythology.

Even if the god of the bible was real, I would NEVER lower myself to worship the sexist, anti-gay, mass-murdering, slavery-condoning, piece-of-shit god of the bible. I'd rather burn.

19. TopNotchStoner

Not to mention the fact that the bible says christians aren't allowed to eat pork. lol That's just cruel. I can't go through life without bacon.

20. themnax

themnax Senior Member

the bible was well motivated, or at least the writings in it, most of them.
    though there's more hyperbole then essence.
    but truth isn't what anyone says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.