I want to...

Discussion in 'Flashbacks' started by Spuff, May 13, 2004.

1. teepi

teepi living my dream

It is sad that the majority of the younger generation is apathetic to the true problems of this time.

The product of the mid '40s..on through the early '60's...that generation of children who were the protesters and the one's interested in getting back to the land and the basic morality of loving one another based their movement on their core values, they were taught that love is important, it is comfortable to have a safe haven, you respected your fellow man, you were honest and did what was right...
    then they of course, took what they saw was wrong with what had been happening in their plastic surroundings and their lying goverment and threw their radically different spin on those things and the result was a generation who wanted this society to treat everyone fairly, respect our neighbors and their own trip (whether next door or national or international)and yelling that everyone should have the right to not have to kill someone just because your goverment says you should.
    They wanted a goverment to be as it was set up to be, for the people and by the people.
    There became that awareness, people weren't afraid to march, they set out to right some wrongs...some died for expressing their message, we remember them still, they were our hero's.

Now most of the following generation started being raised as latch key kids,things got more and more expensive thus mom and dad both had to work, there was not the feeling of togetherness, greed set in as more and more people fell into the "feel good now" way of life, people took certain rights and totally skewed them to fit their own needs,"my neighbor be damned", "I,m gonna get mine"...our goverment screws the average person left and right,big business is in charge and giving this country away and uncle sam is holding the door open.
    Think a man like good ole ABE could win now????Look at Jimmy Carter, so interested in getting the gov. away from the big boys and they got rid of him fast...the only pres. interested in getting us away from our dependency on this controlled OIL...

When I see the crime on the news its getting committed by younger and younger kids, there needs to be enforcement of the laws that are there, not a slap on the wrist and then they go on to bigger and worse crimes.
    People are leaving the cities because of the crime, Cincinnatti has been in my local news lately talking about the large number of businesses closing, and the people moving away. Homocides are rampant, no regard for anyone...got to get those damn tennis shoes...even if ya gotta kill for them.

We have kids having kids, so of course there will be no "raising" those kids, they will get wilder and wilder....do you feel safe walking down your block at night????

So by just these things...there IS plenty to do...some of the problems have changed but there are still plenty of things to choose a cause from...I didn't even get started on the environment or the food they sell us at the store, or healthcare and the lack of...(well unless your rich or very poor, or have a good job with benefits that you could lose any day now).

I know, I got on one of my rants again here...and I know it seems overwhelming, makes you want to throw up both your hands and holler...but the thing is we all have an obligation, to ourselves, our loved ones, our fellow man, and our planet to do what we can....some can act on a large scale by throwing your influence and/or your money around...some on a smaller scale...talking to your parents or your friends about recycling in your house and neighborhood, starting a garden and growing a row for the hungry....writing letters to your reps. in the goverment expressing your concerns,... learning all you can about self sufficiancy...helping your family plan their outtings so you cut down on your gas...or riding your bikes more...the list goes on.

Deezee and Mark are so right things will go on as they are and will get worse until people start to get good and pissed and i think we are on the brink of that happening...its a shame it will probably take more and more people getting pissed about losing their jobs and getting hit in their wallets and gas tanks before its on a large scale, but I hope it comes soon.

Stop trying to live in the past and wake up to the present...thats where you can make your difference.

Want to change the world????
    Start with yourself.

2. deezee

deezee Member

AMEN TO ALL OF THIS!

as far as i'm concerned teepi, go on and rant when you make this much sense. not many people have any common sense these days.

deezee

3. LarryL

LarryL Member

Some of us were too loaded to remember much but it was magic. We had new thoughts, new music, colorful clothes, etc. We opened new doors with no idea with no idea what world they opened to. We tripped in and had a blast.

Mainly I remember the love, so much love. Love for love's sake. Love on love. There was the sexual revolution sure, but I remember that time as the heart revolution. We just opened our hearts to practically everything and everyone.

...Not necessarily a good idea, but it was fun.

Peace,
    Larry

4. peaceisluv89

peaceisluv89 Member

As much as I would like the 60's to be now or have lived through the 60's, It will NEVER be like it was in the 60's, Sorry to be so negaitive, but come on pple, I mean it sux but other than pple like us, the rest of the world is just unwilling to live in peace, just think about it, no matter how much effort we put into making it like it was then, pple don't care. And we can't change their minds, we can try, but sometimes, well alot of the time, changing someone's mind is very hard to do, cuz of what they have believed or thought for so long is all they know... we can try, but don't get ur hope's up. PLUR luv ya

5. green_thumb

green_thumb kill your T.V.

I think the past is much more intriguing than the future. I love history.
    I love the music from the 60's and 70's.

6. Ghost of ruins

Ghost of ruins Member

I think it will never be the same as it was in the sixties and the seventies. But it doesen't matter. I beleve the thing we miss are the ideals and the spirit of the 60s and 70s. And we feel that the spirit of peace, tolerance and love is the only that can save our world.. I mean what we have to do isn't longing for the past times.. We have to do a lot today...

7. mimosa

mimosa Banned

thanks for bumping this post..."I swear it's not too late" the spirit is rising again, take part and run with it, people.

8. cosmicdust

cosmicdust Member

Did you know that the country/western group THE JUDDS put out a cool psychedelic song called; "The 90's Was The 60's Turned Upside Down". I think that this song suits this thread quite well. It has very meaningful words, with a very well done psychedelic/sitar-like sound.

BIG BANG BOOGIE (EP-CD) By THE JUDDS
    This EP-CD was a "bonus CD", in the CD album: "a new day dawning", By WYNONNA (JUDD) (314 541 067-2/Curb/Mercury)

Here is a sampling of those meaningful lyrics:

"Woodstock, Acid Rock, JFK,
    The times they were achanging in the USA.
    Alot of good ideas that never got too far,
    like saving the planet and stopping the war.
    While 40 years later, its the same old thing,
    we've got to walk the talk, if its ever going to change.
    "The 90's was the 60's turned upside down"
    (repeat)
    "If we're going to get it right this time,
    we got to turn it around."
    "In this changing world, we need a change of heart,
    loving one another is a good place to start."
    "Marijuana, mescaline, LSD,
    people everywhere just want to be free.
    It used to be fun. It used to be cool.
    Now we have crack babies dropping out of nursery school."
    And so on . . .

My 60's experiences were posted under the THREAD: "What was it like to be in the 60'?, under Post#111 (The 60's-The decade of sharp contrasts/Chiana20). It's too long to re-type here. I'm working on my 70's experiences; "The Party Decade".

Don't like the way things are? Change them! As WYNONNA sang: "We've got to walk the talk, if it's ever going to change." More ACTION, less TALK. Why do you think that the word "Activist's" means? But you must do it all at once, with massive amounts of people behind you, or it won't work! One bitchin' person is easy to get rid of (by arrest, or murder), but millions is much more difficult. Plus, hold your ground. Whoever give's in, loses. Alot of 60's clashes happened, from holding the ground. You don't have to use violence-PASSIVE RESISTANCE. People just want a better world to live in.

We live in a YIN/YANG universe, i.e. one-half positive and one-half negative. Good and Bad. Light and Dark. Two sides of one coin! The 60's had many good things, but just as many suckie things. The mind has a tendency to remember mostly only good things from the past (and repress the bad things), thus: "The good old days!" In psychology, there is an explanation for why this is so, but I can't find it, now.

THOUGHT structures REALITY.--- QUANTUM PHYSICS
    REALITY is based upon AGREEMENT.---L. RON HUBBARD (Founder of SCIENTOLOGY). I'm not a scientologist, but I read many viewpoints.

Cute play of words for the BLUE OYSTER CULT song; "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" DejaVoo! I've come up with same thing, years ago. I know the real word is REAPER, but I like to think or say REEFER. It's a more hip word.

Peace, love and understanding . . .

9. THUDLY

THUDLY Member

The 60's meant more freedom (except for the draft). Less laws. More blue-collar jobs that paid decently. Cheap gas. Plenty of ass.

Pussy cats were about the same, though.

BTW, Lover, I dig the killer heels! Way to go!

Also, Hunter Thompson had a mail-order doctorate of divinity, not journalism.

10. Ghost of ruins

Ghost of ruins Member

What makes me sad is to see, that so many hippies from the 60's have given up their ideals. They laugh about their former ideals and say that they were naive then. But here are still a few old hippies who stick to their ideals even if it means discomfort for them. I must say .. I admire them and there is always fun around them.

But what I wanted to say is that not all who called themselves hippies in the 60's were real hippies in their hart...