I Want to Live in Lawrence KS

Discussion in 'Kansas' started by OddApple, Sep 25, 2012.

1. OddApple

OddApple Member

I want to move today! I need a victorian that doesn't have to be perfect out of town or maybe a good size farmhouse on a few acres?
    I need rest and sanctuary among the happy tie-dye people and seclusion to work on my writing as well as the daily grind.
    I also need fencing ~ can't leave my loves behind so need a good sized house with a bigger fenced yard.
    If I don't get outta Arkansas soon and start a new chapter more about me & mine I'm gonna die!!! I'm getting redneck toxity! heh heh
    In all seriousness it's been twelve years out here and I need a lil culture and real food - my divinity batteries are running lowish ~
    If you know a quiet old small farm or such like hit me up.
    Got forest land here but just need some black dirt, flat roads and decent cuisine back in my life. Thanks!

2. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

why would you want to live anywhere in kansas? I personally love the Appalachian area of Arkansas.. could care less about the people that live there

3. desert-rat

desert-rat Senior Member

There are lots of places to line in my home state of Arizona . Deserts in the southern part state , forests in the north . There are little towns with layed back people . desert rat

4. OddApple

OddApple Member

Gotcha - but still have concerns in the midwest that got to be stable and on autopilot before I get too far and Eureka Springs is a little bit small for me right now. I kinda need the bigger town with the rural around it, hence Lawrence came to mind. Going through Reed Springs on my way up north for a look around there too.

5. PurpByThePound

PurpByThePound purpetrator

Obviously joker has never been to Lawrence.

Despite that, fuck Lawrence. Fuck KU. We can't be friends.

Look at KC ;)

6. OddApple

OddApple Member

I've been to Lawrence and have friends there still - the rural farmhouse part didn't get through.
    Not a lot of rural places there at KC and it's plenty close enough to do business in KC if you're in the surrounding rural area. That's part of the package.

7. PurpByThePound

There's tons of rural area in KC, what are you talking about? KC is the biggest small town.

You should look at suburbs like Parkville, Smithville, Liberty, Platte City. I recommend Parkville. Cool little town, though they could be doing a lot more cool things there.

[​IMG]
    Main street, downtown Parkville. This is where I spent a lot of time as a child.

[​IMG]
    In relation to nearby suburbs/KC - downtown KC is to the SouthEast just over the Missouri river.

[​IMG]
    Park University is on top of a bluff looking over Parkville and is visible almost anywhere in town.

There are a lot of very rural parts west of Parkville, too. Weston is another realllllyy cool old river town up the Missouri river. Lots of history in these parts, and a lot of Victorian antebellum houses. Very neat, I would suggest looking at Parkville/Weston over Lawrence any day.

8. PurpByThePound

I actually think Weston is way way way cooler than Parkville.

Lots more rural. Tons of farms (tobacco mostly) and cool orchards, vineyards and the Weston Bend State Park is one of my most favorite parks I've been to (this includes Rocky Mountain National Forest).

9. OddApple

OddApple Member

Yes, Weston is about as town as I can get ~ that's what I mean. The two towns within 12 miles of us got less than 2,000 people in "em combined so my "rural" meter set on extra rustic ~

10. OddApple

OddApple Member

Well maybe y"all are right? Lawrence doesn't seem as happy or friendly as it used to be - at least from a distance...but I really need a hippy town or more intellectual scene and don't know of that many with a couple acres and a barn for us?

11. PurpByThePound

Lawrence definitely not for you. It has a 'hippy' scene, but it seems to be mostly college poser kids that have their shit handed to them.

Weston is cool man, you should really look at it. That town grew on hemp production. HEMP! haha

But it isn't too "hippy" by any means. There's a lot of liberal people around, but also a lot of hicks.

I have decided I want to retire in Weston, look at this pub!!!

[​IMG]
    O'Malley's underground cellar. Oldest brewery west of Hudson River (or somethin like that)

12. OddApple

OddApple Member

The Pub wins. I have to go to KC in the next week or so and gonna have to go out there and look around.

13. PurpByThePound

It's really super nice around this time of the year. Make sure to go to Weston Bend State Park and find the river overlook. It'll be amazing. The trees should be turning in the next coming weeks.

14. OddApple

OddApple Member

Thanks! is there a scene paper or best place to look at rents/rent-to-owns?

15. PurpByThePound

try craigslist.
    I know there are lots of rental places, a friend's family actually has some rental properties, but I don't have any way of finding out if they are available.

16. OddApple

OddApple Member

I just been looking at the web page for the tourism. That's a hunk of our wellbeing and ya know - thanks!
    I have hair to my waist which I mostly keep braided and I is a half breed, or "graham cracker". I'm used to open hostility and people who can't survive the day without making someone miserable - if people are one step happier and more human to be around it will be a improvement to me.

17. OddApple

OddApple Member

and I can ring an anvil like I was born to it - I'm about a walking "Foxfire" book and don't even look appalachian.