I want to go Crabbing.

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by spooner, May 29, 2006.

1. spooner

spooner is done.

Crab is so good. I want to devour a mountain of them.

The licenses are only ten dollars.

Also, Qory's dad is an immigrant from Japan and has the best Crab trick I've ever seen. He just breaks the crab open in half and drinks all its guts from the bottom of the shell as if its a bowl.

I'm pretty sure he does it just for shock value, but he says its the best part. At any rate, I want to learn it. Or learn to stomach it. Whichever.

2. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

The first thing I thought of when I read the title of this thread was pubic crabs...

I wonder if it is legal to catch ducks on fishing rods...

3. spooner

spooner is done.

Everything is legal as long as you don't get caught. I imagine its only half the fun of actually going duckhunting, though.

4. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

Yeah, what I am really curious though is if it counts as trapping or hunting...

I must say though, it was real cool to hold the duck in my hands that my friend Andy accidentally caught.

5. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

Sorry fo hijacking your thread...

Yeah, so how about them tasty crabs :rolleyes:

6. spooner

spooner is done.

My dad took me duckhunting when I was 11. I miss it. When I'm done school I'm going to organize a hunting trip with some buddies I think. Bag me a moose or something.

7. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

I got a moose tag one year...Didn't see a single one.

8. spooner

spooner is done.

Is it a lottery where you live?

9. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

I want crab dammit
    but, I don't live near anywheres that you could catch 'em from

10. spooner

spooner is done.

haha one more reason not to live in saskatchewan.

11. all_rhodesian_reject

all_rhodesian_reject Sonskyn Elvis

I want to bag the greatest prey of all, man

12. free2fly

free2fly Members

aww man ... someone had to go and talk about crabbing ... *sighs*
    2004 was THE summer of crabbing for my family.... we went to this dock like 2x a week almost .... and set out our traps .... handlines, whatever ... and brought them crabbies home but stopped on the way home and bought some fresh shrimp from some local sellers...... then made a big seafood feast, YUM!

13. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

Yeah. You put your name into the draw, and every year you put in and do not get it your number goes up. The higher your number the mor likely your name is to be drawn.

14. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Haha, I come from a family of old sailors and commercial watermen, which is why I live on the Chesapeake Bay, as my family fought at the Siege of Yorktown from September 28 to Oct. 17 1781. That and the Battle of Yorktown in 1862, 482 casualties... CSA defeated by Maj. Gen. George McClellan. Allowed him to take the peninsulas of Virginia and the union forces advanced to Richmond. The city was taken by Ulysses S. Grant in April of '65 and the Confederacy retreated, burning portions of the city down as it was no longer under their govern.

There's nothing like taking a deadrise out on an early morning and bringing in a few bushels of Jimmies... :D I like the males better, but alot of people are into buying Shad and crab roe, which is basically the caviar of the Chesapeake, to most who live around here. Unfortunately, I don't particularly care for eating crab eggs. :eek: That and I don't think it's right to harvest lotsa females with eggs that are about to hatch...

15. Micha

Micha Now available in Verdana!

haha:D hugh wants to bag a man..

16. Micha

yall have to have lisences to go crabbing:confused:?

17. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Oh yes. It's a major offense around here... five inches from tip to tip on blue crabs. Callinectus Sappidus... It's a Greek/Latin Portmanteau for savory beautiful swimmer.

Those spider crabs are ugly bastards, though.

I don't have a full commercial license. Those things are expensive... but at $3 a softshell, it ain't bad. :D

18. Micha

interesting.
    you don't have to have one here
    at least i don't think so..

we do it all time when we go to morgan city

19. spooner

spooner is done.

Yeah, I know how the lottery works, but you can just buy Moose tags around here. Or at least you could when I used to go with my old man.

20. free2fly

free2fly Members

no, you dont always have to have a licence, some places you only have to be licenced if you are commercial ... but yeah, definately KNOW the rules about the length, keep a tape measure with you... there are hefty fines and the enforcement comes around disguised as regulars....

Still tho... on days when we've caught less than we hoped to, we'd take a chance and keep the smaller ones ... *hums innocent hums*
    I dont mean small, but, ones no more than an inch under the rules... I dont think its that big of a deal, 4 inches instead of 5 inches, woop-de-do!... :rolleyes:

But if ya do, just be careful...