I want one

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Gyro Gearloose, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Senior Member

Hello,

I don't know where they manufacture that things, but I'm pretty sure the pricetag doesn't come from the used materials or the workers loan. As it is often the case with pretty things, they are expensive because they are pretty then.

I thought about crafting one, but I'm not really a woodworking guy. I can build one from aluminium pipe. That will work, but it isn't very pretty.

Regards
    Gyro

2. Gyro Gearloose

Hello,

I would like to sneak in and hide behind the curtains, just to watch and listen how the conversation evolve ;).

Regards
    Gyro

3. Gyro Gearloose

Hallo,

eons ago I had a short training on manual and NC lathes. I clearly need more space and more money and then I will be the proud owner of a CNC lathe. That would be fun to play with ;).

Regards
    Gyro

4. odonII

odonII O

Hello,

Well, to be honest, I did a three year engineering course (starting at 17). So I know a little bit about CNC millers and lathes. I had no idea about using hand tools, though. I still have fond memories when I enter a workshop. I would also love to have my own , but that is very unlikely.

5. Gyro Gearloose

Hello,

in a former life I was an apprentice and I had to file cubes and other stuff for weeks and weeks. The truth is that I hated it ;). Sharpening drill bits is another thing that I don't like very much. But playing with NC machines or even better CNC machines is fun.

Regards
    Gyro

6. odonII

odonII O

Lol, pretty much had to do same type of thing.

It was like this ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJAeb0wiQjA"]Saturday Night and Sunday Morning - Opening Scene - YouTube

I even remember being able to smoke INSIDE o_O

7. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

Yeah sharpening drill bits is a pain in the ass. I use a drill doctor.....does all the work for you. The one I have now can even split the point (I split all my points) and sharpen masonry bits to boot. Well worth the $100......I fucking hate dull tools

8. Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide Sweet and Tender Hooligan

Check online you can probably find a good deal on a used one.

9. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i am really good at sharpening bits by hand

no jigs or special tools needed

10. LetLovinTakeHold

But can you split the point? Or sharpen masonry bits?

If I didn't do what I do for a living I probably would just do it by hand. But I sometimes find myself sharpening bits 2-3 times a week at work. And a split point has become a must have

11. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

isnt masonry bit just a carbide tip?

the ones i do are usually 1/2 to 1"....just regular steel drilling type i guess

12. LetLovinTakeHold

To be honest I haven't sharpened a masonry but with it yet and I'm not sure how that would work. As long as you're using a hammer drill it doesn't really matter anyway.

But split point drill bits are awesome. It keeps the bit from walking around on metals and eliminates the need for using a center punch. I suppose you could do it by hand but it would be a lot more difficult to do.

13. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i just know if i happen to do it wrong it either goes off crooked or doesnt drill at all