i think she might have autism...

Discussion in 'The Autism Spectrum' started by barefoot_kirstyn, Aug 14, 2007.

1. barefoot_kirstyn

barefoot_kirstyn belly flop

I know there have been dozens of threads made about this, but this kinda branches off me "stressed out" post.
    I was talking there about how Leane's screaming and stomping (temper tantrums basically) have made us the black sheep of the apartment building we live in and now are facing eviction cuz she's that loud.
    However, when I googled the temper tantrums, there were a bunch of results for autism that came up.
    Leane is almost 2 (she's about 22.5 months), and this is what she's doing/not doing:
    -constant tantrums, like I said, to the point where she can't calm down
    -hurting herself during a tantrum
    -doesn't react to pain unless it really was severe (eg, at daycare one day, while the daycare lady had her back turned, Leane was running toward the teeder-todder (sp?), and as it was on its way back up, it hit her in the chin and sent her flying backwards. She didn't even wince)
    -doesn't answer questions, but instead repeats the last word or a specific word from the question.
    -can't deal with loud noises, like she has a fit when the vaccume is turned on
    -constantly saying "ow-iee"
    -doesn't play with her toys much at all
    -doesn't respond most of the time when her name is called
    -won't sit still in someone's lap, but instead screaches and squirms to get out
    -says "no" to almost everything
    -jibber-jabbers a LOT, almost like long sentences, but we have no clue what she's trying to say
    -if we leave her alone, she runs off to do her own thing (which usually involves getting into something that she shouldn't be), she'll play by herself for hours.
    -doesn't respond to most simple requests, like to sit down at the supper table instead of jumping in her booster seat, even after trying to reason with her for months

the only thing that seems to be a little out of place is that she can be extremily clingy. If you don't pick her up, she has another fit.

should I be making an appointment with a doctor? or do I just have a typical 2 year old?

2. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

Sounds like a 2 yo....

3. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

I think she sounds perfectly normal. :) I know it is SO stressful and a tad annoying but it sounds like she may be coming out of the terrible twos soon. I remember it getting to the point where I thought something was horribly wrong with my boys and they did all the same things( I also researched autism and thought the same thing)... the good part was they got to the part your talking about and it all calmed down in a matter of months. She sounds like a strong independent girl. Soon as she figures out how to talk OR communicate better she will stop the screeching. Riley is giving me migraines lately. She talks in sentences sometimes but she is doing all the same things. The neighbors are weird to me, I think they think I beat her! lol. Oh well. I also just read your other post(and am going to combine posts here), I am soooo sorry everything is bad right now but don't give up on faith. Have faith that the universe knows what its doing and it can only get better. The hubby and I went though pretty much the same stuff. When we brought Riley home from the hospital we had a small civic and couldn't take all the kids in it so we'd have to take shifts doing things. It sucked. We also couldn't afford a place and had to live with his parents for 9 months. Uck. Anyway, everything DID work it self out eventually. Just relax and enjoy your pregnancy, but try to stay positive! I hope you guys don't have to leave your place! I'm here to talk if you'd like. :)

4. warmhandedcanadian

warmhandedcanadian shit storm chaser

Have you had her ears checked? My daughter was alot like that for awhile and I was surprised to find out she had been having problems with her ears but there was actually no physical signs of any infection. Plus, being 2 years old....

5. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

Also, I think she is picking up on your stressed out vibes. And you are pregnant. Her world is in upheavel right now, I imagine she's pretty stressed out too. She's expressing it the best she can.

6. jgirl

jgirl Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I think she sounds normal too. And remember you are pregnant and she feels it, now matter how much attention you give her...her life is changing too! My son was 3 when I had my daughter and those last few months, he was like a different kid. I was always so worried about my son because he is so hyper and never talked before 3. Now, I can't shut him up and I'm very happy to have an active boy. All kids are different, and if it will help you feel better, take her to a peditrician, but I'm sure she is fine. Hang in there, Mama!

7. Bumble

Bumble Senior Member

she sounds pretty normal to me too. a child with autism would not have that much verbal communication. to me it sounds like she knows that her brother will be here soon and is testing her limits.

8. sweetdreadlover

sweetdreadlover TattooedRainbowGurl

to be on the safe side i would make an appointment and make sure, and to put you at ease and maybe help to calm her a bit hunny....girls are alot more likely to do these things because they are more sensitive to emotion naturally

9. warmhandedcanadian

warmhandedcanadian shit storm chaser

I agree with you about taking her to the doctor but at this age I wouldnt say that her emotions are more natural than a little boy's emotions... eventually boys may become conditioned to withhold their emotion. I think that you are incorrect here, about the sensitivity part at this young age. All babies/toddlers/preschoolers express frustration or emotion, unless something is out of whack with attachment or somthing to that effect...
    sorry i'm rambling. :)