I think I want to wean..

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Cre, May 11, 2004.

1. Cre

Cre Senior Member

But I am having mixed feelings about it. My daughter is 18 months old and my original plan was to let her self wean. Now I am pregnant. The first trimester went well with minimal pain. Now that I am in my 4th month it is getting to be more painful. My nipples are so sore. Each time she nurses it feels like she is biting me over and over again. I am not sure how much of this I can take. We have eliminated her daytime nursings, other than naptime. She still nurses 2 or 3 times each night. We co-sleep. Ideally I guess what I want is to wean her and get her into her own little nest (still in our room) at least 3 months before the baby comes. I just need some help on how.

I tried to tell her no more beeboo the other night. She cried and cried and I felt like shit, but tried to stick to it. Finally she flops over on her back and starts screaming 'HELP'. I gave in. :( Anyone have any advise on weaning that will be easy on her (and us)? Thanks!

2. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

It is really difficult for some mamas to nurse during pregnancy, especially at the stage of pregnancy you are in, where you probably have little or no milk and she is "dry nursing." OUCH! Try limiting the time she nurses and only nurse at certain time of day, gradually cutting out more and more nursings. About 70% of children over the age of about 14 months or so will wean during the next pregnancy, usually due to the lack of milk, and it's odd taste during pregnancy, but there is that 30% who will hang on no matter what.

La Leche League has a good book called Mothering Your Nursing Toddler by Norma Jane Bumgarner it has some excellent tips on cutting back and weaning, if you need to, during pregnancy. How Weaning Happens (can't remember the author) is also a good book on the subject.

Go to
    www.lalecheleague.org and plug nursing during pregnancy or weaning into thier search engine, and you will get some good info.

I hope your discomfort eases.

3. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

Cre~have you seen this site? http://www.kellymom.com/tandem/faq/index.html if you scroll down a bit, there are articles on "Discomforts & Concerns of Pregnant Nursing Mamas"

good luck to you. i've heard that nursing while pg can be really challenging

4. DecemberSun

DecemberSun Member

I'm not pregnant, but my boob-addicted DS is 17 mos. old and there seems to be no end in site! He uses it for comfort now, so he wants the "bobby" when he's happy, sad, bored, hurt, hungry, thirsty, tired, etc. I'm trying to cut out the unnecessary nursings and only let him nurse to get to sleep. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I'm willing to hang on a little longer because I'm in love with him, but I'm definitely ready to have my body back to myself...

I hope it gets easier for you, Cre! Good luck to you. :)