I think I eneded a football player's carrer

Discussion in 'True Confessions' started by unfocusedanakin, Jan 7, 2019.

1. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

I played American football in high school. This was a before brain damage and helmet to helmet hits were as a big a deal. It's an rough hit but I did what the coach told me to and he told me to hit like that so they are "afraid to touch the ball you are on the field". I figured he would tell me if I did it illegally. Since I was a teenager I did not really think about long term damage I could do. I did not want to hurt anyone I guess but I did. I'm a bigger guy so now I think well shit you of all people can do damage not so much then.

There was a quarterback who played for our rivals. Rumor was he has a few division 1 schools scouting him. Maybe even good enough for the NFL but at that age every coach is telling his players if they work they can be. Even without the NFL this boy was probably going to be god in a SEC or Michigan kind of school one day.

I hit him helmet to helmet and he dropped the ball. I still remember I popped up and covered the ball. I was immediately grabbed and high fived by my team mates. As this was happening I noticed he still did not get up. Pretty soon his coaches and paramedics are running out there. I still have not seen him move. Even at this age I was thinking did I paralyze him? My mom is a nurse and she was so afraid that would happen to me so I had heard many dinner table talks. He sat up after a few minutes and the crowd clapped. He left on a stretcher sitting up and he was not the QB the next year.

My coach was so proud of this hit he played it when we reviewed film a few days latter. He told the other players this is an example of the kind of game I expect from all you. Look at how this play put us in good position to get points. He never once said anything about hoping the kid got better. He was at the game too. He saw what I saw.

There was no Facebook then so all I had was teenage gossip. I heard that he had brain damage. I looked for a few years and his name was never on any college roster I could find. That and the fact he just was not on the team next year has bothered me for years.

Like did I really injure him that bad? What I saw looked like it could be a concussion and those can get pretty bad. If a brain injury is bad enough it changes your behavior and abilities long term. Maybe I took something from him. But I also think playing this sport anyone could take it. It's the nature of the beast.