I Robot

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Duck, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

Is a pretty damn good movie. Hell, I'd say great but I don't remember enough of it (I was high as a fuckin' kite). From what I remember it had a pretty good storyline and some kick-ass action.

2. gesone

gesone Member

It was better than I thought to be honest.

3. Goatman88

Goatman88 Member

i thought itd be some Terminator rip-off but it actually wasnt it was cool

4. Jaz Delorean

Jaz Delorean Senior Member

i thought it was brilliant...i read the book first, it's nothing like the book really, apart from some character overlap and the use of the three laws.
    i think it's an amazing film.
    Jaz

5. Amanda N

Amanda N Member

Very good film... the stories used as inspration were also very good (I read the book after seeing the film).

6. meishka

meishka Grease Munky

i love will smith. and the movie was great too

7. m6m

m6m Member

I was suprised.

The first 20min of Will Smith's dialog was actually cleaver, witty, and even made me laugh.

But from the interogation room scene on, Will Smith's dialog fell into his usual 'so desperate to look cool' lameness.

I noticed Will was an assistant producer of the film. I wonder if he had influence in his dialog, or if writers just naturally give poor Will such sad lines.

A few of his lines were almost as gay as his famous 'Welcome to Planet Earth' line.

Despite the juvenile action scenes, the story does profoundly question our mostly uncritical acceptance of technology.

For that alone, I was satisfied with the film.
    And the first 20min is definitely worth the rental.

8. lucyinthesky

lucyinthesky Tie Dyed Soul

The first time i watched it i was pretty impressed; it was a lot better than i expected. Upon second viewing, i nitpicked a lot of the scenes and found that many of them were way to unrealistic. Undoubtedly they had the typical "He would be dead if that happened in real life" scenes, but the fact that this movie takes place in 2035 was pretty unbelievable.

-Lake Michigan being dried up completely in 30 years
    -Messages from the beyond
    -Those fancy audis
    -Those weird robot triangular truck things
    -The fact that the robots had only been around for a few years, yet were already starting to "evolve"
    -Robots taking over every low wage, simple job...society would never let that happen

I can't see any of this happening in the next 30 years

I wish i was watching the movie right now so i could point out the hundreds of other things in this movie that doesn't fit. I did a good job doing it last time i was watching it :rolleyes:

Worth renting, not worth buying. It's good if you're simple minded about it so try not to get caught up in the details...

9. mrsshf

mrsshf Member

I thought it was good. The special effects were very well done, although there was more than one instance in which I thought the "frames" (where CG meets real life) were pretty obvious. The storyline and action kept me interested, and the acting was fine, as far as big budget action flicks go. I was just a tad disappointed with the direction in a couple of ssenes, especially when Will Smith wrecks his motercycle and flies through the air with an explosion in the background. I would think that the guy who conceived of and directed "Dark City" could have come up with more original shots than "Die Hard" rehash. But again, I only noticed that glaringly a couple of times.

Overall, it was a great popcorn movie, and I don't regret having paid matinee admission to see it on the Big Screen.

10. Amanda N

Amanda N Member

Just because humans take such a long time to evolve, does not mean that robots would too.

If you gave an AI robot the task to update itself, it would be able to discover what could be improved within moments, and given the resources to improve it's own intellegence and capasity - 30 years is a very short time..

PS, I think it was set in the 2030s as a tribute to Isaac Asimov because that's when he set most of his stories (or at least the ones more relevent to the technolical advancement featured in the film).. but if you remember, he was writing them back during the cold war, so it's closer to 60-80 years in the future.. (if you see my point?).
    ditto
    /swoon

11. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

I'm suprised noone else noticed this stuff. You kinda jarred my memory. I remember noticing most of that. I like your "The fact that the robots had only been around for a few years, yet were already starting to 'evolve'" comment, I didn't even think of that.
    One thing I kinda disagree about is the whole society comment. Society doesn't know what's good for itself and I think there is a good chance that in let's say 30-60 years, robots will be overused. Only the future will tell.

12. lucyinthesky

yeaaaah that's true :&

I see your point..i just didn't know the history of the story at all. I just thought it was something brand new. Makes sense, but i think having made the movie recently they should have maybe scooted the year up a bit....that's just my opinion though.

13. lucyinthesky

I totally agree that if it were to happen, that yes, people would definitely overuse AI Robots to their benefit, but think about how many people work in the jobs that the movie depicted the robots doing (taking over, rather)- Waitering, Waist Removal People, Postal Delivery People, etc. That's a hell of a lot of jobs that would be lost. I can't see the entire mass of UPS employees giving up their positions to a bunch of robots. See where I'm going? Sure, society is incredibly stupid as a whole, and rarely knows what's good for itself. But one person who's losing their job to a humanized computer system knows what's good for himself. Hypothetically speaking....UPS serves in 200 countries, est 10,000 employees/country that's 200,000 people out of jobs. And that's only one company. Billions of jobs would be lost around the world. I just don't see humanity letting that happen. People would have nowhere to go!.....then again, if one is getting payed off in a nice lump sum to quit their job and be replaced by robots...then yeah, maybe this idea is plausible.

14. ArtistofPeace

ArtistofPeace Senior Member

It was alright...worth renting, not worth buying. Did I mis-hear it, or did Will Smith say "You have SO gotta die" when he was about to kill Vicky, or whatever the name of the evil intelligent machine was...? lol. I just kinda smacked my forehead and said "Whhhy...?" haha.

15. Mr MiGu

Mr MiGu King of the Zombies

the movie was a lot better that i expected it to be, though compared to the book, it was a piece of shit. Mostly action, with a predictable plot. Actually, it moreso resembled a book written in the world created by asimovs I, Robot, called Caliban than it did I, Robot.

I just think that the movie lost almost all the ideas that made the book so great, minus the 3 laws. And I absolutely hated the dialogue between will smith and the girl explaining the 3 laws at the begining. It seemed that they dumbed it down so much.

16. bedlam

bedlam Senior Member

l thought it was a top movie..