I need to really start analyzing the situation before I try to be nice to someone

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by RainyDayHype, Jun 7, 2018.

1. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

I just went to a craft store to get some canvases and paint brushes,etc. Well, when I approached a line to check out, I overheard an old woman bitching out the cashier. It did not seem warranted, and I'm thinking, damn ,this kid probably deals with grumpy old broads all day.

So I see the impulse candies and I'm trying to guess what candy this cashier probably likes,so I can buy him one and ,ya know,maybe make him smile during his otherwise shitty day.

When I was looking through the candy , a pack of mentos dropped out and I thought ,okay, that's a good choice. So I placed it with my purchases. Then I was thinking, what if he doesn't like mentos, so I simply asked," what's your favorite candy?" To which he stared at me like I have an extra head.

Then I said, "That woman was being an asshole so I want to buy you a candy." Like a big fat jerk, he says, "No, that's okay."

Who the fuck turns down free candy like that? I've worked in customer service as a cashier and I would have loved and accepted a candy offer.

What do you think his deal was? I'm thinking maybe he has a gf and thinks he cant accept a ''gift' from a chick lol. This kid was young,I am not interested and I was just a human trying to be nice to another human . That or maybe he thinks he can't accept product on the clock? When I've purchased things when I was working,all you have to do is wrap the receipt around it.

So I'm thinking this guy is just a douche bag and old woman rant was probably warranted.

What do you think? All I know is these mentos are delicious.

This is quite possibly the last time I try to spread kindness. I will just spread the plague next time.

2. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Truthfully, if I was in that same situation, I would have declined your candy offer too. I wouldn't want to impose. I'd politely decline it and explain why and, make small talk, and be pleasant, but ultimately, I wouldn't want you to go out of your way for little ol' me.

Eric! likes this.
  3. Jimi Smacks

Jimi Smacks Newbie

Maybe he just didn’t know how to accept you kind gesture. They aren’t that common anymore. Still tho, good for you for trying to spread a little kindness.

juggawatta likes this.
  4. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

I’m thinking he felt awkward because he was working and maybe he shouldn’t accept?

Eric! and Jimi Smacks like this.
  5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Same...

6. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

Most likely. Where i work we aren't allowed to accept gifts from costumers. But i secretly have when nobody was around.

Eric! likes this.
  7. RainyDayHype

People are anal. He declined in a very rude manner. It's not like.i was pulling candy out of my pocket or ass,I was buying it at the cash register.

8. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

Saying, "No, that's ok" is very rude?

9. Jimi Smacks

Jimi Smacks Newbie

I think what you were trying to do is super sweet.

juggawatta likes this.
  10. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

hard to judge strangers without actually being there but maybe he has autism or aspergers and doesnt even know he said it in a rude way.

i really like the chocolate mentos

11. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

It was seriously a nice gesture for you to offer that. Maybe you caught him on a bad day.

12. bft4evr

bft4evr Senior Member

You were trying to be nice - it was a very nice gesture. Quite possiblt his employer does not waant him eating on the job. I worked as a cashier once and we were definately not allowed to eat while we were working - only on breaks and at lunchtime. He could have been a bit more gracious with his reply but you porbably caught him off guard.

13. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

You know, come to think of it, I was taught you tip for any service. Waiters, porters are obvious, bellboys...but when you get your hair done, you nails--whatever. You're supposed to tip for any service. Again, this is what I was taught growing up. Anyway, one time I took a necklace to the jewelry counter in a department store because it wasn't clasping correctly. They fixed it and when I went back to the counter to pick it up, I tried to tip the jeweler, and she wouldn't accept it.

Turned out it was against store policy to accept any sort of tip. I was like, "well, it's our secret. No one will know." She still refused.

Quite possible that he's not allowed to accept any gratuity--even Mentos.

Eric! likes this.
  14. RainyDayHype

His tone,mang and mannerism

15. RainyDayHype

I don't think popping a mint is eating . If anything,it's a service so he doesn't have bad breath when talking to customers.

16. RainyDayHype

I've known several people with Asperger's and autism and he didn't come off like that . He was just being a little rude shit, it seems. Why don't I just go and ask him what his problem is and demand he take the mentos, or better yet, a snickers!!! Lmao

17. RainyDayHype

I've bought other cashiers/service workers energy drinks and Lindt chocolates, no problem.

18. RainyDayHype

His name was Thatcher,btw

19. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

I don’t like mentos. I would have said no :p

Eric! and Jimi Smacks like this.
  20. RainyDayHype

But it's the fresh maker

Eric! and Deidre like this.