I need some help please.

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by kadydid, Apr 4, 2007.

1. kadydid

kadydid Member

I became a vegetarian last year, only to stop after I had surgery because the rest of my family (hubby and kids) all eat meat, and my hubby had to take care of me, and I did not want to put him out too much, so I just ate what they were eating. After I recovered I put off becoming a vegetarian for awhile first I blamed thanksgiving then I just kept thinking I would, and never got around to it.

So about two weeks ago, I became very committed to being a vegetarian again, only to find out that the rash on my head is due to an over abundance of yeast in my body and that I need to not eat all the yeast products I consume and I was supposed to go on a low carb diet. I read I should avoid cheeses and Tofu because they are fermented and most of the soy products I consumed besides tofu has yeast in it.

I feel at a loss because I really want to do this, but at the same time I don’t know how to do it. So now I am practically only eating meat, and I am totally grossed out by it, But sooooo much food has yeast in it or tons of sugar, or things I am not supposed to have.

Has anyone else had to avoid yeast and sugar for a while being a vegetarian?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good cook book, that doesn’t use a lot of processed foods?

Sorry to blather, I just don’t know who to ask this stuff. I don’t actually know any other vegetarians. lol

Thanks-Kady

2. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

umm 1st off why ya on a low carb? getthat outta your hear,.. instead of soy would seitan have yeast? i dont believe so..
    get off that all meat crap low carb bullshit carbs arent the enemy they saythey are.just force feedin u more meat more meat more meat..
    its not that hardto go veg & cut anything out u need to
    as far as cookbooks i dunno..i always just throw things togetger & see how it turns out..lol
    usualy good tho
    but yea u gotta get off tht diet..

3. 3littlebirds

3littlebirds Member

try curries, soups and smoothies
    (or anything else thats mostly veggies or fruits)

4. toothfairy

toothfairy Member

Why low carb? Is that something the doctor said? There are several breads that don't have yeast or sugar, but they will have carbs. The rash on your head, are you sure it's diet related? It's hard to give advice without knowing what kind of surgery it was.

There are a lot of grains you can eat that don't have yeast or sugar, but they will have carbs.

I'm just a little confused about whether you want to cut out yeast and sugar or carbs or all.

5. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

I'm also a little unclear on what/why you need to avoid... but wanted to throw in my $0.02 anyway! If you're up for baking, you can do your own yeast-free breads and such by making a "starter" (basically just a bit of bread-dough you allow to sit and sour) and adding that to your new bread dough every time. It really isn't that time consuming to bake bread, just a few minutes here and there to mix or knead, and other than that it's just rising/baking time. :)

And it's my understanding that tofu isn't fermented, but tempeh is. (I could be wrong, hopefully someone will fill us in here...) Good luck, and feel better! :D

6. Avocado Noni

Avocado Noni Member

Vegans do tend to OD on carbs. Bread, Cereal, Pasta, wheat gluten in meat replacements, etc. It isn't healthy in the long run if you dont have any essential fats in your diet, or a lot of vegetables and nuts and seeds.

Carbs are not really healing foods...but meat is by no means a healing food either.

I am a vegetarian, vegan on some days, and I manage to avoid grain and gluten all together though, so it is definatley possible. I am a raw foodist though :drool:

I would recommend sprouted hemp bread as a replacement for regular bread, much healthier.

You don't wanna just avoid carbs though, stuff like pasteurized cheese contributes just as much to those kinds of infections. Fatty stuff for people with weak digestion contributes to these things too. Anything that turns blue if you leave it alone long enough(bread, cheese, etc..) is generally something you want to not eat if you can help it.

I would try to eat as much raw garlic as possible, and start eating a lot more salad with organic dressing and good oil, and maybe even making fresh vegetable/fruit juice. Including good filling fats is essential, in all nuts and seeds, esepcially hemp and flax seed. Seaweed would be great too, and you can make delicious filling nori rolls. Fatty fruits like avocado, and more fruits in general.

Fermented foods are great too. Unpasteurized saurkraut, miso, tempeh(in moderation, don't OD on soy), kim chee, etc.

I also think it might be a good idea to start dosing up on some of the stronger anti-viral herbs out there in certain herbal teas and supplements, ( http://174486.amazonherb.net/Group06_Arcozon.aspx would be a great one, Pau D arco/tahari is a bark in the rainforest that does not rot when it dies, so it has very potent anti-viral components).

This is not medical advice intended to treat or diagnoise anything though. I am not responsible for the use or mis-use of this information.

7. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

^^ shameless self promotion. You'll be wealthy one day, A!
    and if she has a yeast overabundance, she'll need to avoid more fermentation, and that includes sourdoughs as they are wild yeasts captured in the sponge.

I have seen (but not perused) a book on vegetarian low-carb at the book store. trawl Amazon to see what pops.

Now, one term that gets messy in what carbohydrate to avoid: processed white foods, or a break from most of them while the flucan works?
    for SOME people, eating whole grains and limiting sizes and numbers of servings suffices.
    get the doc to earn that fat salary and EXPLAIN things to you. Repeatedly if necessary. You are not a pest, you are a patient.

reading your post, I have to say: eat some freaking veggies and fruits. Usually oranges and most fruits except bananas are OK on a Candida diet.
    look it up, or check out the book "the Yeast Connection" from the library.

8. littlelily

littlelily Member

Eat veggies with different sauces, rice, cous-cous, smoothies, soups, vegetarian sushi . I'm not sure about the yeast ,but there are ways to be vegetarian without overdosing on carbs, although I must admit, I usually do!

9. feralfey

feralfey Member

Veggies and fruits. Also one of my favorites: Health food stores often sell various forms of seaweed. The MooseWood cookbooks have several recipes that might be helpful. For some reason they have seafood recipes in the one I have, but there are lots of good completely veg recipes in there.

10. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

by the way, it sucks when people come in, ask for advice, get given the advice, but never return to either: answer questions or b) thank the people who took time to answer.