I need new music

Discussion in 'Music' started by lace_and_feet, May 10, 2004.

1. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

Currently (and basically for the past 5 years) Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rage Against the Machine, Tool, A Perfect Circle, Nine Inch Nails and the like fill my music collection. Great bands, but obviously overpopular and overplayed. I feel like a cliche. I am so craving something fresh, different, new, experimental. Any suggestions? I've tried sites such as www.Allmusic.com, but have not gotten pleasing results.

2. kayatree

kayatree Member

Sound like your into bands... are you into instrumental stuff too?

If you give me some genres your interested in I'd be happy to give you some recommendations. :)

with love,
    kayatree

3. miabubble

miabubble Member

check out Biffy Clyro... they are a small scottosh band... but fucking immense! :D

4. BornInTheWrongGenera

BornInTheWrongGenera Member

When I got sick of the music of this day and age, I just regressed back to music of the 60s. :cool: And boy was I missing out on some great music!

Now I rarely listen to anything modern. Tori Amos, and that's about it.

5. didge

didge Member

Ya Should Listen To Rory Gallagher.

6. sassure

sassure Member

Have you tried Interpol or Elefant? Some fans of the bands you listed also like these bands as well....or the Deftones? Hmmmmm....

7. Xiola

Xiola One Lonely Seagull

you tried Jane's Addiction?!

8. Mui

Mui Senior Member

Hmm... fresh, different, new and experimental?
    Well I dont really know what kind of music you like... pretty much the basic rock bands u listed before... this might not be yer style... but uh
    Mui's Recommendations:
    The Blood Brothers (screaming, very experimental, time signatures, synthesizers, n.o.r.d3, beautiful thought provoking lyrics & stories... no chorus' 2 singers/screamers... insane drum beats and all parts in general)
    Saetia (screaming again, technically the gods of screamo, but they are awesomely different than everything else)
    i also like circle takes the square... but they prob arent your style
    Melt Banana is some different japanese hardcore... they are awesome

I also am in love with Today is the Day

if yer not into that hard of stuff as i listed before check out the Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Soiled Doves, Waxwing, Pig Destroyer
    All great bands

But the best thing I can recommend to you is to get involved in the local music scene around wherever you live... there are a lot of amazing bands that im sure you can find that live around you that you like a lot...

9. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

Aphex twin and venetian snares, for some really wild experimental electronica.
    Boards of canada, really good stuff. There is this cd: bombay the hardway; really funky grooves from india(bollywood flicks)
    Check out some Scratch Petland...out there.

10. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

I mainly listen to bands, but i'm totally willing to look into some instrumentals.

I've heard Alice in Chains on the radio and liked some of their songs, but not enough to pursue them further. Plus, I'm trying to open up my music collection to bands that I (and most other people) haven't heard of.

I have heard Aphex Twin...loved him and should probably look into more stuff by him.

I do like the "look into your local music scene" suggestion, but the bands here are predominately "Christian punk" or "emo" and they really don't float my boat...(can't speak for other towns, but) most of the kids in this area joined a band just for the image...kinda like how skateboarding was a couple years back...

Anway, keep up the suggestions; i'm really appreciating them. :)

11. adigaskell

adigaskell Member

I'd recommend:

- Velvet Underground
    - The Stooges
    - The Replacements

12. boog

boog A square peg

Mudhoney
    Sonic Youth
    Jesus And Mary Chain
    Mr Bungle
    Atari Teenage Riot
    Heave
    are all quite fun and worthy of a listen

13. InTheFlesh

InTheFlesh Member

Listen to the Ramones. They opened me up to many different kinds of music, and ultimately, got me listening to Psychadelic.

14. SexyDreads

SexyDreads Member

Jackie Green, Helter Skipper and the Gilligan Mansons, Fiona Apple, NoFx, Anti-Flag, The Allman Brothers, The Fucking Grateful Dead!, Keller Williams, Widespread Panic, Homegrown, Patsy Cline!

A few of my favorites,...quite a variety now that I look at it.

15. WaitingForTheSun

WaitingForTheSun Member

Here's just some bands I find to be good: Godspeed You Black Emperor!(very very good, all instrumental), Interpol, ...And you will know us by the trail of dead, Mars Volta, the Polyphonic Spree, Built to Spill... all good bands to me and they're all RELATIVELY new. Do you listen to radiohead? I'm a big nin fan and got turned onto Radiohead because they use some industrial type stuff in their music, that and they are just as obscure.

16. WaitingForTheSun

WaitingForTheSun Member

AHHHH!!! You know Boards of Canada?? I love them, they are so weird but it's like their music is what sound my sould would make if it could sing. No one where I live knows who they are besides the two kids that turned me onto them. Crazy crazy crazy.

17. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

Heres how I like to broaden my tastes. I get on samgoody.com and enter a band I like in the search engine. Then I find a sampler that they're on and pick a new band at random. Then I check that band out.
    Lather
    Rinse
    Repeat

18. monosphere

monosphere Holly's Hubby

www.kexp.org

I'm a delivery driver and spend most of my day with nothing but the radio to keep me company. Well, radio up in Seattle SUCKS!!!! Although I do listen to a few of the college stations. Anyway, one of the stations is KEXP, which has an eclectic library with rockabilly friday night to reggae saturday mornings. they play a little industrial, a little african pop, a little blues, some new wave, arabian techno, hip hop, you name it, they play it. their website has a live stream as well as a two week streaming archive. they have playlists with the artists, songs, record labels, and some have a little info on origins of the band, etc. It could help.

Mono

19. greasytuesday

greasytuesday Member

The Shins are awesome, or try the Locust if you want some super-heavy madness. Definetly check out some of the oldies; beatles, hendrix, dylan, zepplin etc etc. I bet you will like the Butthole Surfers as well. And the Pixies!!

20. Mui

Mui Senior Member

w00t built to spill