I need help for my plants!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by brainstew, Apr 7, 2007.

1. brainstew

brainstew Member

Ok. I started to plant flowers indoors and they were growing so fast and healthy suddenly the next day they were all dead and slumped over! Only a few of my plants survived and one is growing great, with a thick strong stem. When I checked the pots of the dead ones, I found a white thing in them, it looked like mold or spider web. Can anyone help?[​IMG]

2. poor_old_dad

poor_old_dad Senior Member

Hi (again),

What type plants are they?

" When I checked the pots of the dead ones, I found a white thing in them, it looked like mold or spider web."

Was the white thing in the pots, the stems or on the leaves?

Peace,
    poor_old_dad

3. brainstew

brainstew Member

I FORGOT what type they were, someone bought them for me. I think they were a white flower. The white thing was on the leaves.

4. 420MAN

420MAN Member

you got spider mites, check your other plants under the leaves, or spray them with water and see if you have more webs, then you got them , go to your garden centre, for a spray to treat them , good luck! you could also the white flies, but no big deal they are harmless.

5. brainstew

brainstew Member

omg, I'm so terrible! What is the name of the spray?

6. 420MAN

420MAN Member

I use C-I-L mother earth insect soap but there are many brand manes, when you spray the plant , if you can do it in the shrower, wear you rain gear and a mask, turn the plants upside down and spray them on the bottom of the leaves, because that's were they live , good luck

7. brainstew

brainstew Member

thanx, geez...Im terrified now :(

8. farmout

farmout All who wander arent lost Lifetime Supporter

Hey, just plain ole soapy water will work too, if its mites. Lady bugs do it naturally too.
    Peace... Farmout :)

9. brainstew

brainstew Member

thanks

10. Alaskan

Alaskan Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

If the above dont ring true to your problem It might be a condition called
    "dampening off".
    http://www.gardenline.usask.ca/misc/seeds2.html
    We sterilize all our starting soil and havn't had any problems since and we start thousands every year for our business.........

11. poor_old_dad

poor_old_dad Senior Member

HMmmm... spider mites... It is certainly possible you (well, your plants) have spider mites. But for spider mites to suddenly kill a few otherwise healthy plants, I guess is possible, but unlikely. The infected plants would weaken & their leaves would yellow, then drop off and then the plant may die. It's possible you have spider mites (they are very common), but something else killed the plants.
    Ckeck here for spider mite info:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_6942_control-spider-mites.html
    and
    http://www.extension.umn.edu/cropenews/2006/06MNCN48.htm

The "damping off" can be a real big problem too, but usually with young seedlings and the entire plant falls over rather than "slumping" over. "Damping off" can be a real heart breaker and a total nightmare if you're trying to make a living at this kind of stuff. But as the good gentleman from Alaska pointed out, sterilizing your seed starting soil stops the problem.

If you still have the dead plants, get them away from those still alive. Alive or dead, look CLOSELY at the underside of the leaves. Look for tiny rust or yellow colored spots. I've said around here before that one of my most important garden tools is a very good magnifying glass. Also look very closely at the entire main stems of all dead or alive plants. You're looking for small holes or spots or perhaps where sap is oozing out. And it'd help a lot to ask who ever gave the plants to remind you what type plant they are.

Peace,
    poor_old_dad

12. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

Or it could be cottony cushion scale. You can rid house plants of that by wiping the stems and leaves with rubbing alcohol. It would really have to be a heavy infestation to kill the plants.

Dampening off or some sort of mold/fungus is probably more likely the cause depending on the age of the plants. Young plants/seedlings are more likely to be affected by dampening off. Overwater or poor drainage and circulation are the most likely causes for fungal attacks. Sulfur powder can minimize the damage sometimes.

13. greenman82

greenman82 Member

Ive always had awsome luck with safers brand insecticide and fungicide and always filter or use bottles water for foliar feeding or watering your plants . good luck !

14. BudBill

BudBill Dark Helmet

Next grow round :) put your plants in a little larger base and water from there. The soil will wick the water up. I have killed my fair share of plants through overwatering and overfertilization.

For house plants indoors - use good quality potting soil, add some perlite and be wary of moving them inside to outdoors then back in. This is where the majority of pests gain entry.

Ooo almost forgot. The book store always has gardening books on sale and well I use them as a library anyway so do a lil reading on the varities you choose. Each has its likes and dislikes.

Don't give up it just takes a lil practice and patience.

15. LittleHip

LittleHip Member

It is in my plans that when I will grow up I'll be a gardener, so I've searched and learned about plant disease...Such a fast disaster can happen only by poisoning or anathumiasis (i dont know how you say it) so, do you have a radiator in your room?Maybe It's because of that or too much watering, need of bigger pot (but no I don't think so about them...) or too much heat, or too much light...But you should also know that some certain plants need to be planted outside, that's also important!Good luck!