I need help finding and purchasing a brand new moped.

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Death, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Death

Death Grim Reaper Lifetime Supporter

well, I guess I can manage the purchasing part by myself..

my requirements are as follows..

50cc or smaller

PEDAL ASSIST

BRAND NEW

less than $1000 FINAL COST (shipping, warranty, etc.)

would like it delivered to my house (ohio)

I will be using this as a daily driver for actual transportation, so no minibikes. As some of you may know I have already bought and built one of those chinese Motorized Bicycles, and it sucked. the motor wouldn't stay mounted to the frame for anything and it just had no reliability. so i took the motor off the bicycle and now I just have a bicycle.

I need to be able to pedal it because I need the option to ride it on the bike path where motors are not allowed.

also, going to a local shop is out of the question because I'm freaking lazy.. I also have never ridden a real one, so that would be awkward and annoying and I would much rather just figure it out on my own time and save the embarrassment.

The hardest part is finding one that is pedal assist.

my goal is to be legal with no license, but I may fudge it for a CC or two.

basically something like this but just a little cheaper...
    http://highstylemotoring.com/MOPED.html

any help would be appreciated..

2. deviate

deviate Senior Member

These were the shit when we were like 15. You can put exhaust on them and get them up to about 50mph. Want to go really crazy, bore and stroke it and rejet the carb.

[​IMG]

3. Death

I was looking at TOMOS, they seem to be the best seller, but are they really pedal assist? I don't see pedals. their website doesn't get very in depth at all either with pictures or the mechanics of them. Tomos seems to be the most legit though.
    http://www.tomosusa.com/pages/modellen

4. deviate

deviate Senior Member

I've owned like 3 of them, they are. You kick start it with the pedals too. And you can get a kit that converts it to I think 70cc. Mine used to ride the fuck out haha.

They're around 1k. At least they were back in the day.

5. deviate

deviate Senior Member

These are the kinds I had

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not sure why some of these have pegs, but they come with pedals and crank arms.

6. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

you could also get an electric assist bicycle. these may be cheaper, will have good pedals, and less potential for legal troubles (I don't know what Ohio laws are though).

probably slower than a moped though

7. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

8. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

funny you mention pegs because just today i watched a guy making a high speed turn and was hoping his pedal would hit the ground..i was thinking they should have a way to lock the pedal midway and pop pegs for highway use ...it was sooooooooooooo close but he didnt crash :/

9. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

:eek: Now I want a moped too!

10. cynthy160

cynthy160 Senior Member

If you haven't already, you might want to check your state laws first to see what is legal as a moped. I would think Tomos has at least some models that are legal in most states.

Some people drive ones that are not legal and register them under a model name as if they are legal. You can get away with it until an accident happens and the authorities find out what you have exactly. Trying to insure one that is not legal or that is not as you describe poses insurance fraud issues. It can put you in a situation where you have to pay for damages with your own money. One needs to be honest on the the vehicle registration and insurance application about what is being driven.

11. Death

no speed no torque and no range. Also I like to learn, especially simple things.

this is what i'm worried about. but i ain't no daredevil or anything.
    http://bmv.ohio.gov/moped_info.stm
    So many variables...

12. cynthy160

cynthy160 Senior Member

It looks like you are not required to have liability insurance in Ohio, because mopeds are defined as a bicycle with a helper motor.

13. Death

OK i think I've decided to get the SSR LAZER 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqANKQRPdgo&feature=player_embedded"]SSR LAZER 5 Pedal Moped with 4-Stroke Engine. Free Shipping - Motobuys - YouTube

Now its just a matter of where to get it from.

some places offer break-in services, stealth upgrade, etc.. I seem to be able to find it for $999 at several places though. Motobuys is in the lead, but i would like the fully assembled break-in and road test, which I do not see that they include.

hmmm.

14. Death

OK I'm PISSED
    I dont think its legal for me to ride one of these.. I was just a couple of mouseclicks away from ordering this thing...

I still want one, even for after i'm allowed to drive again, but i don't want to buy it right now.

15. deviate

deviate Senior Member

No offense but that looks like junk. The europeans have this shit down, I would stick with Tomos.

Also if it's registered as 49cc, you don't need a license or insurance. If you increase cc to 70, who is going to know? Nobody. They would have to cc the combustion chamber and the gov't has no idea how to do shit like that :cheers2:

16. deviate

deviate Senior Member

You have a suspended license?

Easy solution, don't show ID and don't be drunk or wreck it involving someone else. Worst case scenario if you follow those guidelines is they tell you to walk it home.

17. Death

now i'm getting conflicting stories. I think i may have to actually call the police and ask.. However, last time I did that they straight up told me some WRONG information, so I'm stuck....

I guess I might as well go ahead and buy one because I will still want it even after I have my license back.

but curious, why does the SSR look like junk compared to tomos? I'm pretty deadset on having the pedals and almost nobody offers that anymore.

18. deviate

deviate Senior Member

Tomos has pedals. Just trust me bro, I'm a mechanic. SSR looks like complete junk. And I bet you can't even find parts for it. Tomos has a legit market.

19. deviate

deviate Senior Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51t1OsPSdBc"]NWA - Fuk Da Police - YouTube

20. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

that ssr looks like a 49cc chinese honda clone...basically crap...cheap cheap metal and lousy castings..not made to last