I need a new book!

Discussion in 'Books' started by paix, May 10, 2004.

1. WanderingturnupII

WanderingturnupII Grouchy Old Fart

I grew up in Middle Earth and EarthSea. Haven't read Tehanu, though. Always Coming Home might have the most realistic fantasy world created since LOtR.

2. WanderingturnupII

There's an eddition called The Annotated Alice that explains all the stuff you would have to be a Victorian child to understand.

3. WanderingturnupII

The Hobbit is a childeren's book. LOtR is most definitely not. Nor is The Silmarillion, but reading the first few chapters is a bit like trying to swim through peanut butter.

Perhaps you might enjoy Roger Zelazny's Amber novels? (Ahh, Rog, you died too young...) The first sentance of Nine Princes in Amber reads "It was starting to end, after what seemed like most of eternity to me." Then he goes on for a few hundred thousand more words. How about Heinlein? Job: A Comedy of Justice could be described as light, I suppose, as could The Number of the Beast. Three Hearts and Three Lions by Poul Anderson...Carol Cherryh's fiction, 40,000 in Gehenna, or Downbelow Station, or any of her fantasies...

4. sky_pink

sky_pink er... what's the time?

Well, Le Guin is incomparable (try her Earthsea series). Or you could try Ray Bradbury.

5. osiris

osiris Senior Member

i thought of another one today... can't believe i forgot. Tracy Hickman, half of the writing team of the Dragonlance series, wrote a book that was quite a departure from that sort of thing, called The Immortals. Trust me. You want to read this book.

much love :)

6. paix

paix Senior Member

wow guys, that's alot of books right there!

thank you all for your help, much love to you all!

7. WanderingturnupII

"Going to plant a weeping willow,
    On the bank's green edge it will grow, grow, grow.
    Sing a lullaby beside the water,
    Lovers come and go, the river roll, roll, roll."

DUH!! Why did I not think of this immediately when I saw your sig?
    Stephen K. Z. Brust, Brokedown Palace. The willow is in there, and the river, but also the Lady with the Fan, and the Storyteller...The novel, a fantasy, gave me a whole new perspective on my favorite Grateful Dead song.

8. Alomiakoda

Alomiakoda Boniface McSporran

If you like fantasy try His Dark Materials...

1)Northern Lights
    2)The Subtle Knife
    3)The Amber Spyglass

9. Yokai-Tororu

Yokai-Tororu Guest

Hello paix. Here is a book I read as a teen. It's very light and happy reading. Even though it's slightly old from a different culture it is fun to see how people act.

http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/gutbook/lookup?num=308

Also project gutenberg is a wonderful place to get books. It is a place to download books that are no longer owned by any person.

10. MrsA-Camper

MrsA-Camper Member

Actually is by Douglas Adams, as is The Restaurant at the End of the Universe... and the answer to God, the Universe, and Everything IS 42!

11. didge

didge Member

ive said it before, n i'll say it again! read the Alchemist by Paul Coulho!!!!!!

do it! do it now!

:)

12. jendi17

jendi17 Member

I highly suggest the Trilogy called His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman. The first book is called The Golden Compass, the second is The Subtle Knife, and the third is called The Amber Spyglass. They are really good.

13. Timberwolf

Timberwolf Member

Very good books, I agree, also for the Tolkien books, but you should definitly read Guy Gavriel Kay! (Fantasy, yet historical in a sense).

14. gesone

gesone Member

Read "The Da Vince Code". excellent book with a great plot. This book will definetely keep you engrossed!

"Grilled cheese sandwiches will save the world!"

15. flopoupou

flopoupou Member

Phillip Pullman is an excellent author. Its books are fantastics. Children and adults can read it