I need a new book!

Discussion in 'Books' started by paix, May 10, 2004.

1. paix

paix Senior Member

so, I'm out of things to read. I'm looking for something light, not too much philosophy, no Herman Hesse right now, I tried re-reading Narcissus and Goldmund the other day, and that was just not working, lol.

So anyway, I'm in the mood for a sort of fantasy book, along the lines of Mists Of Avalon or Harry Potter...

so, any suggestions? I need to read!

2. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

I'm currently reading "A clockwork orange"... it is very simple (too simple for me actually)...i find it to be a piece of crap... but it is "fantasy" in a "not RPG sense"

3. antithesis

antithesis Hello

So have you read Lord of the Rings? Because it is, after all, the greatest fantasy book ever written. Ursula LeGuin books are also good fantasy books.

4. Megara

Megara Banned

gormenghast by mervine peake perhaps?

5. paix

paix Senior Member

I'll check that last one out, clockwork orange isn't my cup of tea, and I don't like simple books really, and the lord of the rings, well, I started to read the hobbit a few years back and couldn't stand it. I don't remember what it was exactly that I didn't like though...

6. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy or The adventures of the stainless steel rat. i think they're both by harry harrison?? very light, comical, yet inspiring in thier own right.

7. antithesis

antithesis Hello

Lord of the Rings is written in a very different style from The Hobbit.

8. paix

paix Senior Member

I loooooooooooooove hitchhiker's guide, I may just go to the library and re-read that one, and I'll for sure check out the other you mentioned, you just may have solved my problem!

also stranger, check your PMs :)

9. WayfaringStranger

didnt get one, but i got an email from you some weeks ago. i think i am hittin the road again. so if you got gas money to make it to the east coast, i got gas money to everywhere else.

10. paix

paix Senior Member

check now :p

11. WayfaringStranger

OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. paix

paix Senior Member

2 pages, yay!!!!!!

13. Loki

Loki Member

Not seeing how its fanstasy, more of a commentary on what makes people tick. I read the book, and saw the movie. I agree with you on the book, it was simple, but the movie is well worth seeing. The way music is used is outstanding.

14. m6m

m6m Member

Hey Paix,

I'm sure you've read Alice in Wonderland already.
    But if you haven't, it's a must read. Both of them.

15. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

Fantasy? Light? Stephen King's "The Gunslinger" Not like his other sick and odd books. Very fantasy.... Unfortunatlly it turns into 3 other books (with 3 more to come) and will most likely ensnare you into readig them all in an obsessive like way... Its awesome :D

16. mick_jagger_is_so_hi

mick_jagger_is_so_hi Member

ugh, I tried to read that a few years ago, but I found it so snore-worthy I couldn't finish it!! Mind you, I was quite young at the time, I think I'd actually really enjoy it now.

17. themnax

themnax Senior Member

Arrive at easterwine and the three appocalysis of eniscourt sweazy - by r.a.lafferty?

there's always ron goulart, harry harrison, robert asprin, jo clayton, maybe one of larry nevin's retief stories
    really anything by r.a.lafferty
    schmitz's telzey amberdon stories are always fun, though admitidly mostly juvinile
    this are all likely out of current print, just something to keep your eye out for in one of those second hand paperback exchange type bookstores where you can bring in what you don't want anymore and if it isn't completely disintigrating they give a bit of credit toward buyin what somebody else brought in for a fraction of the current shelf price of anything new, in the fantasy/sciffy section.
    there's alexi panshin too if your bent that way (whatever way that is, i'm not too sure myself)

18. FreakyJoeMan

FreakyJoeMan 100% Batshit Insane

Jitterbug Perfume- Tom Robbins
    The Gunslinger- Steven King

19. osiris

osiris Senior Member

a real easy read that is a wonderful book is Animal Farm by Orson Welles, though they probably made you read that one in high school. The Hell-Bound Heart by Clive Barker, a novella, what the hellraiser movies were based on but much classier. Really just a sordid tale.

uh... Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams is amusing and quirky, all the characters are cats. Diary of a Dirty Old Man by Charles Bukowski. I don't know what to call that, other then the ramblings of a drunk, but it is damn hilarious. I would also highly recomend The Gunslinger. You'll want to read the whole series, but this book is an easy read, a riveting story, and stands quite well on its own.

much love :)

20. gnrm23

gnrm23 Senior Member

how about heinlein's _glory road_