I might participate in New York's Walk to Prevent Suicide

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by praxiskepsis, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Waking Life

Waking Life Cool looking idiot

Really?!? That is excellent. So do I!

But I find him terribly difficult to falsify. What be your problems with him?

2. praxiskepsis

praxiskepsis ha!

He took the material conditions out of Marxism.

3. Waking Life

In relation to relations of power?

4. praxiskepsis

praxiskepsis ha!

You got it.

5. Waking Life

You don't see it as an astute observation on the changing nature of western relations?

6. praxiskepsis

praxiskepsis ha!

No. I think it's cute, as most things academic.

But you could tell me why you think otherwise, I'll listen.

7. Waking Life

Why? Why its not cute? Why its not academic?

Because we don't toil in the fields anymore.

8. Van_Gogh

Van_Gogh Senior Member

:talk2hand

9. zen_arcade

zen_arcade Banned

bah whatevs.

10. Van_Gogh

Van_Gogh Senior Member

pft, whatever youuu

11. praxiskepsis

praxiskepsis ha!

Ok. Just to give you a response that ISN'T cranky:

1) I am weary of sectorizing power relations in the Western World. For personal reasons, too.

2) I think so long as human beings need goods, food, chairs, bricks to build homes, etc. Which is to say, so long as we have bodies, we're "toiling in the fields."

Granted, in some western countries a situation arose in which they don't produce what they consume. But somebody is still toiling in the fields for them. And not just machines either. And in any case, building machines is also "toiling in the fields".

3) For the ones toiling in the fields in the third world, it would be difficult to argue that power "has no center." Or that power is "knowledge."

That being said, I no longer derive much benefit from discussing political economy. Cynical of me?

I don't know. I've wasted years of my life dealing in abstractions. These days I like small...I like work, relationships, neighborhood, and, here and there, focused policy directives.

I've lost interest in abstractions devoid of physical application and empathy. But I might be underestimating Foucault and the post-modernists.

12. gaiabee

gaiabee Member

what kind of alarms? I'm curious because "prevention" is the buzz word for just about every mental and physical illness these days and I'm wondering what sort of alarms go off for you. Or is it just "prevent" in relation to suicide?

yes, I'll admit I'm stretching... but I think a lot of people misunderstand suicide as a choice that comes completely out of free will. Untreated mental illness causes people to do a lot of things they normally wouldn't do with help, guidance and acceptance. People are often in a dissociative state when they commit/attempt suicide. If more families realized how common suicide is, they may be more willing to react immediately when someone they love says they need help. Anecdotally, the mental health forum here is full of threads started by kids who feel they are depressed or anxious and are dismissed by their parents when they ask to see a professional.

13. Mr. Mojo Risin'

Mr. Mojo Risin' Senior Member

Suicide is one of my favorite themes and subjects. I would do nothing to make it stop.