I Might Get An Aquarium

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by tumbling.dice, Oct 29, 2018.

1. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I've considered doing what my uncle does. There is a ditch behind my grandmother's house where these tiny fish and crawdads live. So he catches a few and stocks his aquarium with them. They are cold water fish and very hardy. And free. :grinning:

Dannii and Tyrsonswood like this.
  2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I had a tank with Bluegills... Every bit as cool as south American Cichlids. Also free (possibly illegal, would depend on local laws about game fish)

Dannii and tumbling.dice like this.
  3. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

The thing I like most is that I wouldn't need to carefully monitor water temperature. I'm a cheap-ass sombitch and keep my house too cold in winter and too hot in summer...makes keeping a steady aquarium temperature a pain in the ass.

4. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

It is hard to keep animals in captivity really happy, the hamster running around his wheel is the one that saddens me.

Even when one of our cats died, his companion went very morose. We intended to get him a kitten for company, but ended up with a young rescue dog, (Rottweiler cross)
    The cat looked over the moon, while the dog seemed shocked that he was not being hissed at. They are now inseparable and play, eat and sleep together. The cat is back to his happy self.

5. What you should do is buy some tropical fish when you get the aquarium and feed the fish.
    It's easy but the only thing you need to do is change the water over once a month.

Dannii likes this.
  6. Dannii

Dannii Members

I used to love changing the water, I'd put the gravel cleaner inside the tank and the fish would swim around my hand while i held it in place.

everything bagel likes this.
  7. My niece and nephew's mum has to clean the tank out monthly.
    They have lots of tropical fish in the aquarium and a goldfish out in a pond in the backyard.

Dannii likes this.
  8. Dannii

Dannii Members

I'd love to have a garden pond. Maybe one day i will but at the min I'm in a first floor apartment.

9. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

You'd have to have a pretty deep fish pond to fill it up to the first floor level Dannii darlin' :laughing::laughing::laughing:

10. Dannii

Dannii Members

Lol! :smile:
    Maybe i should think about moving into a property with a nice big garden! :sunglasses:

11. Vladimir Illich

Something like this Dannii darlin' ??? :laughing::laughing::laughing:

12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Nobody in this history of the universe of owning fish tanks has ever said "I enjoy changing the water" I'm sorry but I don't buy that. :p

Mustard Tiger likes this.
  13. Dannii

Dannii Members

I would love to live there! :grinning:

14. deleted

deleted Visitor

This isnt the commercial, but the end comes on tv .. thread reminds me of it ..
    My buddy Karl works there.. He dont have any fish its just his job. haha.

Dannii likes this.
  15. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

this thread makes me miss having my gecko

16. Dannii

Dannii Members

Did it die? :anguished:

17. Dannii

Dannii Members

I'm a cheapskate too! I actually made my own gravel cleaner from a pipe and old plastic bottle, i saw it on a TV show, it saved me about £15.00 as that's how much a good one costs. :grinning:

tumbling.dice likes this.
  18. Vladimir Illich

19. Dannii

Dannii Members

I'd love to visit but I'm all the way up north! :confused2:
    Liverpool to be precise. I have been to Sea Life in Blackpool, it was amazing!

20. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

I was soooo close to getting a 250 gallon saltwater tank and a everything needed set up.

It was going to be all corals, a few fish and other creatures.

One good thing about the 250 gallon tank is that I'd have some room for error keeping the salt to water cleanliness ratio to a very low minimum.

I've moved on to other fun hobbies other than fish. I still eat them though.

Tyrsonswood and tumbling.dice like this.