I like big brains and I cannot lie

Discussion in 'Love and Sex' started by drumminmama, Oct 9, 2017.

1. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Sapiosexuality: honest kink or ego label?

When people say they find intelligence sexy, are they also wanting to be perceived as smart themselves?

2. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

No they just want an intellectual orgasm.
    By thinking lofty thoughts the medial orbitofrontal cortex is suppressed leading to stronger desires.

1 person likes this.
  3. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

Smart has always been sexy to me. :)

1 person likes this.
  4. bft4evr

bft4evr Senior Member

I'm sure they already think of themselves that way. Its more about having engaging conversation before and after sex.

5. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I think its likely, at least to some degree.

6. Kerri

Kerri Members

There’s a strong evolutionary influence at work - to ensure the most desirable genes in the next generation you have to be smart to get into my jeans

7. bft4evr

bft4evr Senior Member

I'm mensa level... ;-)

2 people like this.
  8. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I feel a little intimidated when girls are smart. :gorgeous: :wall:

1 person likes this.
  9. buzzgunner

buzzgunner 180 grains of diplomacy Lifetime Supporter

As am I. I've also undergone multi-day formal mental testing that put my IQ at "borderline-genius" level. Add to that, I was told by my first girlfriend (in high school) that she singled me out because she thought I was (and I quote) "the smartest person" she'd ever met. (Now, that last one I chalk up to the fact that we grew up in a small logging town and she didn't really have much of a selection from which to choose.)

However (and this is my point), assuming all that is true, it doesn't appear to have provided any sexual advantage (at least, in my case) as the total number of women with whom I've had sex over the course of my life (and I'm currently 61) is well below average (10.7 for the United States and 9 worldwide, according to Statista.) Even if broken down by state (in the United States), I've had one third the average number of lifetime partners for the state of Oregon (where I reside.)

My conclusion? Intelligent may be an advantage in attracting partners in some (few) cases, but other aspects of your personality (like humor and empathy) would seem to be more important. That's my (non-scientific) two cents.

1 person likes this.
  10. Kerri

Kerri Members

I think intelligence is attractive. Non-scientific surveys have suggested 90% of women will not sleep with someone they consider stupid. That certainly makes evolutionary sense but certainly intelligence is not the only variable affecting choice - i would guess roughly that same percentage of women are turned off by arrogance. Likewise it’s not easy to draw s conclusion from counting partners. If a brilliant highly desirable man marries his high school sweetheart his numbers might be low but that is not at all indicative of his attractiveness

11. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

I think intelligence for me at least, is part of the sexual chemistry. Chemistry isn't only about looks, but that's the first thing that caught my eye with my husband. We were friends for a few years, because both of us were always dating someone, but his looks plus intelligence, sense of humor, etc I always thought to myself, was so sexy. The whole combination. I dated a guy who used to misspell the most basic everyday words when he'd text me, and I was like...ummm, this isn't going to work. [​IMG] He was hot, but that was about it.

A lack of basic intelligence and education just has never been sexy to me.

4 people like this.
  12. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Neither.

I think everyone seeks someone of a comparable intelligence level. Conversation is easy and natural that way. You'll probably tend to have the same morals and same interests.

I think that's what it's about. At least it is for me. Call me a snob, but I wouldn't date anyone I deem "dumber" than me. And someone much smarter than me would also be awkward.

3 people like this.
  13. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I feel similar to neoprene. I have trouble cultivating genuine friendships or relationships with people significantly less or more intelligent than I am. When I meet someone on my level who also has similar interests, it really gives that cool electric chemistry feel. Nothing sexier than that!

1 person likes this.
  14. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

Oh crap, I'm in trouble

1 person likes this.
  15. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Don't Be Sad Jo......Your Big Dick More Than Compensates For Your Lack

Of Brainpower...... :D

Cheers Glen.

1 person likes this.
  16. Kerri

Kerri Members

I am totally enamored with people significantly smarter than me

1 person likes this.
  17. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i really am kind of indifferent to intelligence. sure, i get annoyed when people seem completely braindead, but as long as our personalities mesh i'm good with most intelligence levels.

18. MikeE

MikeE Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

If there are two such people, what differentiates which of the two are you more attracted to?

If there are two people approximatly equal in smarts, what is the tie breaker? The physique or the minor marginal difference in smarts?

19. Kerri

Kerri Members

It’s not a math problem. I’m not just picking the highest SAT score. There are lots of qualities that are attractive - intelligence is just one prominent one

20. MikeE

MikeE Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Kerri, I wasn't completely quizzing you per se.

I was going back to the OP question, "honest kink or ego label". I would think that for those who have an true intelligence fetish, the tie breaker would be marginal difference. Isn't that pretty much the difference between a preference and a fetish? A fetish is soooo important to that person that marginal differences in that one characteristic over-ride normal variations in the other qualities.