I know it's a few days old...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by mynameiskc, May 25, 2004.

1. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

but does ANYONE have any links to Cosby's comments at the NAACP shindig that was supposed to be so controversial? i can't find any real text, just references to it. i would appreciate links since my computer is crashing whever i do a stupid search. thanks.

2. scarlettchasingroses

scarlettchasingroses strawberry tart

3. mynameiskc

thanks, it's like pulling teeth getting this. why is that? i noticed it hardly got ANY attention in the press.

WHAT BILL COSBY SAID

Tuesday, May 25, 2004

According to a Washington Post transcript, here are some of the remarks made by actor-comedian-philanthropist Bill Cosby on May 17 in Washington, D.C., during the gala commemorating the 50th anniversary of the Brown v. Board of Education:

"People marched and were hit in the face with rocks to get an education, and now we've got these knuckleheads walking around. . . . The lower economic people are not holding up their end in this deal. These people are not parenting."

"I am talking about these people who cry when their son is standing there in an orange suit. Where were you when he was 2? Where were you when he was 12? Where were you when he was 18 and how come you didn't know that he had a pistol? And where is the father?"

"People putting their clothes on backward: Isn't that a sign of something gone wrong? . . . People with their hats on backward, pants down around the crack, isn't that a sign of something, or are you waiting for Jesus to pull his pants up? Isn't it a sign of something when she has her dress all the way up . . . and got all type of needles (piercing) going through her body? What part of Africa did this come from? We are not Africans. Those people are not Africans; they don't know a . . . thing about Africa."

"With names like Shaniqua, Taliqua and Mohammed and all of that crap, and all of them are in jail. Brown versus the Board of Education is no longer the white person's problem. We have got to take the neighborhood back. . . . They are standing on the corner and they can't speak English."

"People used to be ashamed. . . . [Today] a woman has eight children with eight different 'husbands,' or men or whatever you call them now."

"The idea is to one day get out of the projects. You don't just stay there."

"We have millionaire football players who can't read. We have million-dollar basketball players who can't write two paragraphs."

"We as black folks have to do a better job. . . . Someone working at Wal-Mart with seven kids, you are hurting us. We have to start holding each other to a higher standard."

". . . We cannot blame white people. . . . ."

"The incarcerated? These are not political criminals. These are people going around stealing Coca-Cola. People getting shot in the back of the head over a piece of pound cake and then we run out and we are outraged, saying, 'The cops shouldn't have shot him.' What the hell was he doing with the pound cake in his hand?"

4. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

Wow, surprisingly controversial comments from the generally apple pie Bill Cosby. I guess he has a point on some of them, just never heard him say anything like that.

In my opinion, some of the comments are a bit unfair, such as generalizing the lower income population.

5. mynameiskc

well, sure, though exageration is pretty common when you're trying to rouse an audience. what i wanna know is why it's so freaking hard to get any info or commentary in most legitimate news sources on this. i heard barely a couple blurbs on the subject, then nothing more. i almost had no idea about it.

6. razm

razm Member

kc try drudgereport.com.....good stuff....

7. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I was in my car about a half hour ago listening to Limblob - or rather the dork he has filling in for him - and they were talking about this. Personally, I agree every bit with what Cosby said, and I think more high-profile black people should spread that same message. To say he shouldn't be generalizing and should have sympathy for the poor is just yet another excuse which is pushing that particular race, and our society, further back as a whole. Black people are every bit as capable as white people, and people like Cosby are living proof to this.

Cosby can say this. If a white person was to say it, they'd almost certainly be deemed racist. But I do agree with him, very much so. And Cosby has the right to say this as far as I am concerned, because look at everything Cosby has done so to speak in pushing blacks forward, at least culturally speaking.

8. Maverick

Maverick Banned

Cosby is a good man, and I haven't heard him say anything bad.

9. booshnoogs

booshnoogs loves you

Cosby is the man.