I Just Want to Quit

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by Renovatu, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Renovatu

Renovatu Member

For nearly the past five years I have been working as a lab assistant at a medical laboratory and honestly, I hate it. I pour urine samples all day, everyday. I answer annoying phone calls, pull old samples and give them to techs who don't always test them. I get overwhelmed and stressed out because I feel like everybody is running to me with their problems and I just can't help everybody. There's so much work to do and not enough people to do it! On top of all this, my only close friend at work recently left the company so now she's not even around to make me laugh anymore. My department is losing people left and right and we are so desperately understaffed. I can't bear the thought of another full year here and as this one nears conclusion, I feel ready for a change.

I want to quit and just focus on doing some freelance graphic design work. While doing that, I might pick up some new skills like animation to make me more appealing to employers. I have some savings so I think I'll be okay for a few months. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I still live with my parents so my regular expenses are at a minimum. Should I go ahead and just quit or wait until I have something else lined up? I've been applying to different places and so far there are no offers.

creampie00 likes this.
  2. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Probably other variables to consider but with the information you have provided, I'd say if you have the savings just quit.

3. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Most every job you will get will have problems you need to learn to face. If however you hate your job, finding one you don't hate, will help you navigate the crappy parts you have to deal with.

Bond007 likes this.
  4. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

this would make me crazy. I like to put integrity into what I do. If others do not I suppose that's their own business, but I'd prefer not to work where that is a constant issue. Sounds like you might be suffering in a toxic environment. And what the techs are doing sounds lazy to me.

Renovatu likes this.
  5. Renovatu

Renovatu Member

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. I will take your feedback into consideration.

6. Meliai

Meliai Banned

It is always easier to find a job when you already have one
    If you want to do freelance work I would try to build a client base before quitting

Eric! and Renovatu like this.
  7. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

One of the worst decisions I've ever made was not quitting a job I hated. I spent a little over 2 years working 60 hours a week, 6 days a week. My supervisor was an ignorant douche straight out of college, we were understaffed and I was badly overworked but I told myself all that shit about 'climbing the ladder', blah blah blah. If you hate it that bad get out, you can always take something from a temp agency until you find something better. In my case I eventually went back to school and got a degree that led to my current job...which I love.

Renovatu and GLENGLEN like this.
  8. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Or she could rob liquor stores, the money is good, and the hours are flexible

GLENGLEN likes this.
  9. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

If you have money saved up, quit. Take some time to enjoy life and look for something you want to do.

10. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

If you truly dread going to work everyday, and you're absolutely miserable, you almost have to quit. Life is too short for that nonsense. But, as others have said, you may want to have a safety net in place--free lance clients, another job, savings, etc. before quitting.

Eric! likes this.
  11. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

You are never very helpful at all VG

McFuddy likes this.
  12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Do eeeet. I'm throwing the towel in on my job on Monday morning first thing. We can be jobless together. :) I will offer financial aid and support if it backfires.

Renovatu likes this.
  13. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

You'd be surprised

14. Intheknow

Intheknow Members

Your pre frontal cortex is getting hit pretty hard , are you getting headaches? N not sleeping ur reasoning is there so it’s not depletion just s shock o would suggest 2 temezapam at night doesn’t sound like we need St. John’s wort for you yet at night as ur reasoning serotonin is in tact ur just readjusting so the loss off sleep so yer you should get 2 10 mg of temezapam be taken at night we’ll skip the St. John’s wort for now let ur pre fro tal cortex adjust to loosing ur alpha friend. And see how you go at work for a bit more if you leave n sit inside n do graphics not gd idea at the moment after the shock of loosing friend “ do not drink either” , I know you decide graphics cause u want to sit inside alone this is cause of the shock to prefrontal. Hold in there we don’t want u sitting inside after this shock

15. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

I Don't Know What Your'e On Dude......But You Are One "Fucked Up Unit"......:unamused:

Cheers Glen.

16. Intheknow

Intheknow Members

I would also suggest sex with somone you find very attractive, not just any old person so we can activate some dopamine release to plus serotonin at same time

17. creampie00

creampie00 If you can't DODGE it....RAM it!

I hate my job with everything that I am so I go to work, put my headset on and try to ignore my coworkers as best I can. I make too much to start over fresh, been here almost 17 years now and have hated every minute of it. It's tough going through life hating your job, I totally get it. I keep telling myself....this is not about you, it's about your kid. Maybe you can find a reason to keep going like that. There's got to be something to get you through the day. Maybe daydream of being home?

Intheknow likes this.
  18. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Was supposed to just be humour, admittedly at the OP's expense, but funny.....no? ok

I didnt actually mean for her to go rob liquor stores

.....theres probably more money in home invasions

GLENGLEN likes this.
  19. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

LOL.....Love Ya Work VG..... :D

Cheers Glen.

20. Intheknow

Intheknow Members

Yeah, his problem is though his reasoning frontal cortex is getting hit, because this girl left - I think he liked her a lot. He needs sex with very attractive person to lift dopamine back up and good sleep with some temezapam - Serotonin seems like a bit of a drop but not to much. That’s why suggested temez not vallium doesn’t need the plazma needs the sed to calm him. Then he can day dream he’s peaking to much

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    creampie00 likes this.