I just planted some L.Williamsii seeds!

Discussion in 'Cacti Delecti' started by Shivaya, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Mollycule

Mollycule Member

It would definatly be faster.

2. Shivaya

Shivaya Y'a rien de trop beau pour la classe ouvrière.

In that case I'll look in to it.
    Do you know if I can grow a peyote grafted onto something else, and then once it's mature, put that peyote back in the dirt so it can continue growing by itself?

3. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

You can not put it back in the dirt.

Theoretically you could graft it back onto peyote root stock from a harvested plant, but there would be on reason at all, the root will grow a new button, it would be turning two plants into one.

As I understand it, when you graft a peyote onto something, you're just getting the aboveground "succulent" part of the plant. You just add a growth to the peruvianus (or whatever you use) that keeps going like a branch, the faster growing cacti has compatible saps and nutrients and a vascular system that will grow together, and will supply more nutrients to the peyote flesh than it's normal root system would.

I don't know if anyone's studied the potency of faster grown peyote, or of grafted peyote.

I don't think so, but it MIGHT be possible to take an aboveground peyote cutting and get it to re-root, but it would take a long time (years for a mature root system) and would undo all the work that you did to grow the peyote, cacti take a very long time to root, and it's obviously very taxing/damaging to the plant, because it's living off it's internal stores for many months before it puts down roots.

It would probably also require rooting hormone, and still might (WOULD) fail, I'm pretty sure Lophophora are considered incapable of vegetative cloning.

4. Shivaya

Thanks for your answer. As for the potency, I did read that when they are grafted on a faster growing cactus, the alkaloid content drops significantly. This is part of the reason why I was thinking of grafting it onto faster growing plant until it's mature enough to give me some pups, and then plant it back into the ground.

I just wanted to speed up the growing process of the ''mother plant''. Guess it's not how it works, so I'll just have to get more seeds. (5 of them grew)

On that note, I have another question. When you look at a plant like this: http://www.holy-garden.com/images/colonia_peyote03.jpg

Is that several seeds, or would that be one cactus and years and years of pups?

5. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

That's just holy fucking fuck.

I don't really know anything about how peyote puts out pups, I was under the impression that they mostly propagated via seed, but I could be wrong.

Either way, that's just a looooooong ass time. if you want something like that, get to planting... the more plants you have going, the better.

6. Shivaya

haha yeah man it's huge.
    I'm gonna keep planting, but I can get a mature, flowering adult for 30 bucks. I think I'm just gonna make the investment. Fuck it.

7. Mollycule

Mollycule Member

Wow that is a very large bunch of cacti!

8. Omacatl

Omacatl Senior Member

Thats not a normal Lophophora Williamsi. It is the uncommon caespitose form of peyote known as L. Williamsii var. Caespitosa that makes dense clusters like that. Several species of cacti have a caespitose form. That is one plant that is several years old, not several seeds. Most peyote will pup from the single root stock when older, or when grafted, but not really quite like the caespitose form.

[​IMG]

yes you can. You can take an accelerated graft from the stock and cut it off and place it in the dirt once the wound has calloused. It will grow roots, although not like the original root stock, but still sufficient enough to keep the plant alive and thriving. This medicine is a hardy survivor for just a psychedelic drug isn't it? :)

9. porkstock41

porkstock41 Every time across from me...not there!

i'm thinking that it'd be really neat to grow a cactus and watch it mature over YEARS and potentially one day trip from it, but keep the focus on simply growing it. i think i might start a little project...
    any pics of your little ones, CS?

10. Shivaya

For what it's worth, here are my 5 children, planted 2 weeks ago today! Shitty picture, but whatever.

11. Shivaya

Sorry for the double post, but WOW! Are they are potent as the normal Loph's? And that's cool about putting them back in the dirt, I'll decide later!

12. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Well that's cool, I didn't know that. It doesn't need rooting hormone or anything, and it has good success rates? any idea how long it takes to develop sufficent roots, and how much it damages the button?

Do you use more than just the button for it, does it need any root flesh? That is, could you harvest a button in the normal manner, grow the root and plant the buton, and have two healthy plants with a reasonably good success rate?

By the way, you're still downplaying psychedelic drugs. Psychedelic drugs are some of the most amazing things of our size in the universe, if not some of the most amazing things, period. Plants are amazing too, they are that which all life depends on.

I mean, lots of cacti will root, I don't see that the fact that peyote does makes it NOT a psychedelic drug, or rather, not contain psychedelic drugs. Growing adventitious roots is a common thing, what makes it special is it's alkaloid production, anyway.

Peyote is NOT a drug, it makes drugs. The particular drugs that it makes do make it a very amazing plant. You're a victim of the whole "drugs are bad" thing. Drugs are fucking amazing, they can be medicine, but that doesn't change the fact that they're psychedelic drugs.

*edit* is that picture in the SR greenhouse? Any chance I could have met you?

*edit2* how big are those buttons, and how big is the whole thing? is the flesh under the mound edible, or is it the toxic root stock? Is it a genetic variation, or something that happens in certain conditions? If one where to come upon a wild one, and take a button as a cutting, would it grow into another of those monstrosities?

13. Omacatl

Omacatl Senior Member

to be honest i wouldn't know. I would assume they are just as variable in potency as regular L. Williamsii, it depends on soil content, age, and other environmental factors.

It takes a few weeks to get going. It only damages the button as much as you decide to cut off of it. Sometimes you will lose a replanted top for whatever reason but many are resilient and will root when the bottom is well calloused. Ive had them try to make a root while sitting fresh inside of a basket in the dark and not in soil or any media. no rooting hormone needed. Ive never used rooting hormone to root any cacti as they all seem to do it amazingly well, better than any other class of plants.

I was joking.
    really no need to waste text to explain to me what a drug is I think google will take care of that for me. By the way... I see this medicine every day. Its all over my house. I think it would have told me by now if it was holdin'. lol

We're all just living things man. This cacti has a bunch of neurotransmitters and alkaloids- yah so do you. We're more alike than you think. Don't even ask me about it. If you're ever blessed enough to get the opportunity to do so....ask the medicine.

not my pic. I just snatched Caespitosa pics from a cactus blog for an example. I do not take care of any Caespitosa specimens.....yet :2thumbsup:

the whole thing is edible, down to the root. the root isn't "toxic" really.

this caespitose form is a genetic variation that is confined to a certain region, and clustering usually wont form on any other L williamsii like this without grafting. A wild pup taken off the head and brought to captivity would grow just the same as the parent plant and in time appear identical since it is a clone.

14. CannbisSouL

CannbisSouL Smoke 'till you toke. Lifetime Supporter

My little ones are still very small.. :)
    I'm not sure if I've maybe starved them in some way, because people claim to achieve more growth than me. These are about 6 months old, but my theory is that I starved them of light causing them to stretch too much when they were younger.. anyway.. there's a 25 cent coin in these pictures for some sort of reference.

[​IMG]
    I particularly like these cacti, especially the second one from the left. You can see the button starting to form on top of the cacti.

[​IMG]
    There are incredibly small and stretched.. you can see two of them are scrawnier than the rest; they came out weeks after that initial cluster of three.

[​IMG]
    This is a cactus cutting I bought just the other day. It came with a root system on the bottom, but as you can see, part of the top has been cut off, and this little branch is coming off the main stalk. I was told it was a peruvian torch at the store.

15. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Have you had a cactus experience yet CannbisSoul?

16. Shivaya

Good for you man!
    I don't have enough experience to be sure, but I read somewhere that if your cacti aren't getting enough sun, they will grow to be elongated like that (tall and skinny). I haven't seen alot of baby lophs so I couldnt tell if this is what they mean or not, but is it a possibility that they aren't getting enough sun, or is that what they should look like? I know mine are younger, but one day I came home to find them starting to look skinny, and when i placed them in the sun for a few days, they became a little fatter. Then they became orange so I had to take em' out lol. But I just wanted to mention it in case it could help. I look at mine everyday - I want them to get big and healthy!

17. CannbisSouL

CannbisSouL Smoke 'till you toke. Lifetime Supporter

About 2 years ago I bought and ate 21 grams of dried Peruvian Torch powder. The experience was incredibly lucid, and at the time it was one of the more visual experiences I've had. Smoking cannabis on the trip didn't make me feel tired or sluggish at all like it sometimes does when I'm not tripping, I just felt all the more energized.

That experience is basically what prompted me to grow some more cacti. :2thumbsup:

Yeah, and that's definitely what happened to them when they were younger. I planted these in the fall of 2010 and there were quite a few days when the weather wasn't working with me if I recall. The second picture of cacti I took.. those ones are really pretty stretched and I'm not sure if they will make it far.

The button of the peyote itself forms from the top of the cacti, so I'm wondering if I could bury the long stretched stalks of the cacti a little bit further into the earth when I eventually replant them.

You can see that one of the cacti I posted in the first picture is a little burned, so they've switched spots with the pot of cacti that contain the stretched specimens.

It'll be interesting to see where these cacti are in a year or so - even the coming summer weather should provide some interesting results.

18. Shivaya

Oh! I just read something interesting also. I think I remember you telling me that you kept the plastic wrap over them for a long time. If it's still on there, it may be time to start removing it. A guy on another forum said that they can become stretched because of too much humidity for too long

19. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

CS, you should be able to gradually work the dirt line up, I don't think those are losses because of their shape.... If they're alive, you're better off than if they're not :p

I personally wouldn't worry, just give them what seems to be the most sun they can handle without burning, it should just mean they have extra surface area to photosynthesize. They're very short, they've got a lot of fattening to do yet, either way. Just treat em right and it should be okay.

20. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

@cs: Thats cool about the Peruvian torch experience. I enjoy the ritual of stripping the spine and flesh of the cacti and preparing it. I don't think I have the patience to grow one on my own though, there is no doubt something unique about the experience (and each experience) I've had with San Pedro but its definitely a process especially when considering MDMA and/or the 2cx's can replicate many qualities of the experience.